Getting murdered by Dark Eldar, Help!

Red Pax

Long time gamer, first time on the forums. I play Ultramarines and have been since 2nd edition. With the Dark Eldar getting a massive upgrade I have played for two months and lost ever single game against my friend who plays Dark Eldar. I want to smash everything in sight.

It has come to my attention that I am spreading my army out too thin, and he is picking my squads off one by one with his witches and incubi. I don't want to get flanked so I try to make a gun line, but my troops seem too spread out and he kills them one by one. Should I keep all my troops together in one mob? Should I put them all in Rhinos? How many troops should I have Vs. armor? I have most things in the armory, but thinking about getting some Landspeeders, are these worth it?

I usually put my armor in reserve and load up on auto cannons and assault cannons but nothing seems to do its job right.

It doesn't help that I roll 2's and 1's for most of my armor saves too. Its like my dice hate me. Someone help me out here.

Hi there, and welcome to the B+C, I hope you have a great time here!

As it so happens there is a multi-page thread just two down from yours which has around 9 months now discussed various ways in which to tackle Dark Eldar, including the sort of weapons to use, the units to pick on, the units to avoid, the general tactics to use and the dirty tricks and tactics that the Deldar themselves can pull off. If you get the chance it is well worth a read and located here.

In general, against Deldar, you want to keep your forces together. Otherwise they are so quick and fast that you're individual elements will get isolated and systematically destroyed. Provide a united front and force them into a war of attrition which they can't win. Autocannons and missile launchers are good weapons to shoot down his Raiders, and they don't have to worry about night shields so much, while a Libby with Null Zone can pretty much render his flicker fields as useless. Remember that Space Marines actually out range Deldar most of the time, we just can't outrun them. For their infantry bolters and flamers and combat for the weaker troops, while massed bolt fire and/or plasma fire for the Incubi. Also remember that apart from Haemonculus covens all their infantry have T3, even the heroes, so try to get as many S6+ weapons in to deny them FnP.

If you're putting your armour in Reserve then you are possibly also putting your anti-transport weapons in Reserve, you want them first turn to knock down his skimmers. As I've said don't spread out, stick together, try and get everyone in Rhinos, their splinter weapons can't hurt them then, and Typhoons are a fantastic investment against any opposition.

Can we get a general idea of your army list that you play against him? Without knowing what tools you have available to you in your army it becomes difficult to give anything but general advice. It sounds like your opponent is running an assault orientated Dark eldar list (Telling us the specifices of his army list might help here , as witches and incubi doesn't paint a clear picture.) Use your tanks to block to his infantruy , to prevent him from getting off charges on your infantry ( This is difficult due to skimmers being able to move over vehicles so you'll have to be able to eye ball distances to block it properly) so they can shoot the assaulty elements longer. If his army contains venoms , you must be meched up , as they'll shred infantry. Reserving is a dangerous tactic if your opponent has the first turn and 10 or more skimmers as he can block your table edge to prevent you coming on at all ( Which as per an faq units that are unable to move on due to the table edge being blocked are destroyed) . (Of course you can ram , but remember that skimmers have a 3+ dodge save against rams)

He uses tons of Raiders. He also has a venom, a squad of reaver jet bikes, one ravager and a razorwing jetfighter. As far as troops, he only has Warriors, Witches and 5 incubi. Haemonculus' are usually on the board attached to witch squads (or incubi) in a raider. Sometimes he will take True Born with those anti-infantry guns and stick them in a venom. He has beasts too, but I don't think he would field them against me because you can't put them in a raider....

I have the 6 tactical squads (4 rhinos)

2 Assault Squads

1 Devestator Squad

1 Sternguad Squad

1 Vanguard Squad

1 Assault Terminator Squad (5 man)

2 Dreanoughts

1 Predator

1 Land Raider Crusader

All Heroes

As far as the danger of reserves being blocked, the tables are so big I have never felt that fear. Usually he gets the alpha strike (thanks to bad rolling) so thats why I do that. I don't want my armor getting shredded by dark lances as he moves up the board. Dark Lances on virtually every raider. He takes haywire grenades with his witches. He will sweep in on one side with his HQ and tear into my marines and lately he will have me chasing him around so no squads are in range to help each other. I watched another friend play a troop only Orc army, and kept them in one big mob. I wonder if I should just have a big blue power armor mob. I usually come standard with 2 Dreads with autocannons and heavy flamers, lots of tactical squads, sometimes devestators, sometimes a predator and land raider. We both have a lot of points and play any game from 1k to 2k. I could go up to 4k if I really wanted to. The only thing I don't have that I want are landspeeders

Saw the thread below, it is awesome.

also with nightshields, can you still get 2d6 armor pen with melta weapons? You would have to be in 6" obviously.

also with nightshields, can you still get 2d6 armor pen with melta weapons? You would have to be in 6" obviously.

Nightshields reduce the max range of a weapon by 6", correct? So a Meltagun is now 6" range, meaning having to be within 3" for the 'Melta' rule. Multi-meltas become 18", so 9" would be their 'Melta' range.

You my friend have 4 elite choices. Hammernators, sternguard, and 2 dreads. Illegal in that respect.

I'm just listing what I can field. I don't field them all at once.

Archived