Rule thought of the week

Seahawk

Here's an interesting scenario that came up.

My rhino moved 11" before coming into contact with terrain, at which point it immediately immobilized itself.

In my Shooting Phase, I roll and successfully repair the damage. Go go lucky 6!

Fast forward to my enemy's Assault Phase, where he assaults the rhino.

The question I thought of is: what does the enemy need to hit? Automatic because it Immobilized itself? Or 6 because it's not currently Immobilized and instead had moved at Cruising Speed in the previous turn?

We ruled it as the latter. Seemed to be the most right answer.

While not a direct answer to the question:

Q: If a vehicle moved during its last Movement phase, but is immobilised by the time a models initiative value is reached in close combat, what roll is needed to hit it?(p63)

A: It will be hit automatically.

This indicates to me that what matters for the to-hit roll against vehicles is the current movement capability of the target vehicle. I endorse your ruling on the question. :mellow:

I agree with the above.

The auto hit says "did not move on last turn or is currently immoblized". Neither of those is true.

Exactly. Too easy.

I'll go ahead and throw my "I concur!" in here too.

I admit it does seem a bit weird in that (thematically, anyway) its movement was halted and the guys managed to pry out whatever was in the treads that did it...but it's not the first time what we might expect is easily vetoed by a clear ruling. :)

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I admit it does seem a bit weird in that (thematically, anyway) its movement was halted and the guys managed to pry out whatever was in the treads that did it...but it's not the first time what we might expect is easily vetoed by a clear ruling. :unsure:

Actually, I feel that thematically it's weird that a vehicle that was immobilized in the current turn gets hit automatically. A vehicle that just moved, and a vehicle that moved and was then immobilized, did the same amount of movement right before the enemy hit it, and would be just as difficult to hit. But then, the rules don't always represent logic very well...

I admit it does seem a bit weird in that (thematically, anyway) its movement was halted and the guys managed to pry out whatever was in the treads that did it...but it's not the first time what we might expect is easily vetoed by a clear ruling. :HQ:

Actually, I feel that thematically it's weird that a vehicle that was immobilized in the current turn gets hit automatically. A vehicle that just moved, and a vehicle that moved and was then immobilized, did the same amount of movement right before the enemy hit it, and would be just as difficult to hit. But then, the rules don't always represent logic very well...

It is Games Workshop; I do not think they have come to a consensus on how immediate effects are, which is why there is little consistency. Remember, everything is simultaneous, except all of those times when it is not. ;) "All shooting is simultaneous" is a particularly Nixon-esque statement. :cuss

It is Games Workshop; I do not think they have come to a consensus on how immediate effects are, which is why there is little consistency. Remember, everything is simultaneous, except all of those times when it is not. :HQ: "All shooting is simultaneous" is a particularly Nixon-esque statement. :cuss

Yea, "when things happen" is something which is necessarily ambiguous for the purposes of story and theme...but that works poorly for a game so they stick timing and order into the rules to make it work as a game. Safest bet is to "just go with it" and "get your improv/roleplay on", justifying whatever weird crap the rules throw at us with creative story-telling.

If, you know, you're into that sort of thing.

Archived