The Oldest School

Nied

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've gotten a lot of good tips and techniques from this site, and I've decided to start a project log in the hopes that it will keep me motivated to finish painting my space marine force.

I haven't actually played a game of 40k since I was in middle school almost 20 years ago. It has always kept my interest though, and a few years ago I decided to try my hand at painting again and put together an army using miniatures that were available back when I played. I still had decent amount of marines boxed up, and a few years of ebay watching allowed me to pad my collection with a mini here and there. The original goal was and still is to keep it on the cheap.. I'm even using a lot of the old brushes and paints I used to use (the old rubber lid GW pots last forever).

I'm not sure how this will go over. The fluff has become a lot more serious since I played, and I know a lot of people now don't like the look of the old miniatures. These are different times, and my project might be considered plain goofy when compared to all of the great armies people are making using the newer models and those great forge world bits. However, its a nostalgia trip for me, and I want to make this army capture the look and feel of the game that hooked me 2 decades ago.

When it came to chapter selection, I had to do either an original or 2nd founding chapter because of all the older armor marks I was using. I decided to go with the Raptors since they have a good documented history but haven't really been overdone. After reading this forum recently I noticed that doing Badab War chapters is the new hotness, so I guess I have good timing! However, to throw a wrench in the works, I decided to go with the OLD Raptor Legion color scheme that GW wants to forget about. I can't blame them, but the old scheme is just to grimbright for me to resist.

Here is my color test:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6201/6089862539_3615faf671_b.jpg

So here is the rest of my army. As you can see, I've barely started. Hopefully keeping a log will motivate me to stick with it. I also need to find a better way to take photographs. My camera phone seems to do ok, but the lighting could use some work.

Here is the 10-man tactical squad. I've started painting them, so right now the look like Smurfs (the actual ones, as opposed to the Ultra ones).

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6188/6089862175_1df5f96493_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6088/6090404392_34e42bf180_b.jpg

Here is the command squad, made up of the oldest looking armor I had. I figured it would do well as artificer armor.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6069/6090405418_fbbb635d85_b.jpg

Here is a 5-man tactical squad with some non-standard weapons. I'm going to paint them using the old blizzard camo scheme and turn them into some sort of infiltration unit.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6089/6090405692_34f51451c9_b.jpg

This is the assault squad, complete with some original turbine jump packs I lucked into.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6201/6089863483_f663766f53_b.jpg

Here is the prototype terminator squad. I wanted one of each of the 3 prototype models but they are getting hard to find.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6188/6089864425_e0a23ebcf8_b.jpg

And here is my old dreadnought and landspeeder, which is currently just a heap of junk. Both of them served me well, I can't wait to put some fresh paint on them.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6191/6089863979_9832fb6bb2_b.jpg

Thats it for now. I'll post more photos as I get things completed. It may take a while, between work and life in general I don't have a lot of time to paint, but I'm hoping I'll be able to finish what I've started.

Of course, all comments welcome. I hope some other old-timers get a kick out of this.

Love the old models and the old/original Raptors color scheme, since so many of us (myself included) have gone with the newer drab/green scheme. Makes me wish I hadn't sold off all my old models before I moved. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Holy blast from the past, Batman! RTB 01 marines and old metals from the 1st Edition era!

By the way, are some of those Marines armed with lasguns instead of bolters? I keep hearing stories about lasgun marines, but I never can seem to find anything about them...

Holy blast from the past, Batman! RTB 01 marines and old metals from the 1st Edition era!

By the way, are some of those Marines armed with lasguns instead of bolters? I keep hearing stories about lasgun marines, but I never can seem to find anything about them...

If memory serves they the one that looks like a lasgun is an autogun. But one in there is a needler and one is a suriken rifle or whatever those pesky Eldar have.

The marines on the far right of the 2nd tac squad photo are some of the first marine minis made. They have large guns which are fairly odd and could be seen as lasguns. They are covered in wires and whatnot.

Here's a good image of them

http://www.solegends.com/citcat89summer/02...emarines-01.jpg

By the Emperors name, MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

Those are awesome mate!!

And who considers old school and 2ed minis a bad thing??? I'll send the Inquisition after those heretics!

I love the test model, very cleanly done as far as I can tell. So keep it coming mate, they remind me of the Scythe of the Emperor colors, and that alone is something marvelous.

I'll be watching this thread man.

Ps, you can include some new parts from modern kits, so kit bash to make them more interesting, just be careful with the scale, Marines have "grown over the years, but if you take a modern marine legs, new body and throw an old bekie helm, it should work.

Terminator bare head is the right scale to use with the old stuff as well, maybe some imperial guard heads, you get the idea.

Ive managed to rejuvenate my 2ed models that same way.

Best of luck, and keep more updates coming.

Brother Melice.

By the Emperors name, MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

Those are awesome mate!!

And who considers old school and 2ed minis a bad thing??? I'll send the Inquisition after those heretics!

I love the test model, very cleanly done as far as I can tell. So keep it coming mate, they remind me of the Scythe of the Emperor colors, and that alone is something marvelous.

I'll be watching this thread man.

Ps, you can include some new parts from modern kits, so kit bash to make them more interesting, just be careful with the scale, Marines have "grown over the years, but if you take a modern marine legs, new body and throw an old bekie helm, it should work.

Terminator bare head is the right scale to use with the old stuff as well, maybe some imperial guard heads, you get the idea.

Ive managed to rejuvenate my 2ed models that same way.

Best of luck, and keep more updates coming.

Brother Melice.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to stick with it!

As for kit bashing, I don't have a lot of options. These are all solid metal minis, and poorly sculpted/cast ones at that. Usually multiple body parts are fused together in various places, so carving them out and replacing them with plastics would be difficult and in some cases impossible. I do have a dozen or so plastic RTB01 marines not pictured, so I might carve those up once I'm done painting the metals.

NONONONONNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

No carving and damaging the old school goodness. What I meant was, on the plastics, if you have them, pop a new bare head here and there, do a bolter swap, (new bolter to the RT marines, an old RT bolter to the 2ed model) things like that. Just a little bit to keep things interesting.

Not extensive conversions on the metals.

Guest kodopitharos

This is awesome - looking forward to seeing these models painted.

Granted the models are old and not nearly as good as the new ones, but their age alone brings a coolness factor a new model can never have :lol:

Keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'll hopefully have made enough progress to post some updates in a few weeks.

araekyus> I want a Terminator like in your signature so bad. The only ones I have found have been insanely expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post a progress report, despite making very little progress. This is going veeerrryyyy slowly, so if I wait until I actually finish a squad, cockroaches might be the only living things left on earth to see it.

While I've been painting, I've discovered a few things about these models that I thought I'd share. Number one, they are made from melted kitchen pots, and are porous as a sponge. Washes do not work well on these things at all, unless you put down a million layers of paint to smooth out the surface. Number two, never pick a two-tone color scheme! The seams between the shoulders and the torsos are all cut with a chisel or blunt rock, and getting it to look clean is a huge chore.

Anyway, here is the tactical squad so far. I still need to highlight the blue, clean up and highlight the yellow, highlight the metal and then do the details like ammo bags.. etc. At least they are starting to come together.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/6178591307_ec613cfd6a_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/6179116286_97c5b3f814_b.jpg

Wonderful to see someone else who uses the old school Raptors color scheme. Looking forward to the termi's getting some paint, they've always been my favorite old-run models.

For models that hate washes, you've gotten some solid depth on the yellow, especially the shoulder studs, which is a pain even with washes and smooth plastic pieces. Nice work. I am wondering though, what are you going to do for skin tones, Raven Guard gray or something a little less pasty?

For models that hate washes, you've gotten some solid depth on the yellow, especially the shoulder studs, which is a pain even with washes and smooth plastic pieces. Nice work. I am wondering though, what are you going to do for skin tones, Raven Guard gray or something a little less pasty?

Thanks. As for the faces, I have no idea.. I haven't thought that far ahead. I'll probably just use whatever flesh tone paints I have laying around. I'm sure there will be trial and error involved since I haven't painted any faces in a very long time.

hate to do this.. but doesn't the color scheme for the raptors have yellow hands? i'd have to find my "how to paint space marine" book...

No worries man, you are absolutely correct. I took some liberties with the color scheme because the yellow hands look really bad on a lot of RT era marines. Most of their hands look like.. well.. hands, as opposed to the jointed gauntlets that newer marines have. I did a few tests and they ended up looking like dishwashing gloves.

Archived