Siege of Vraks: Chaos Traitor Warbands and Renegades

So the base of my army is Iron Warriors, but after so many hours of painting boltgun w/ gold trim and chevrons I wanted to flex my painting muscles a bit. So, I finally decided that I would change my army to more of a Chaos Undivided Warband. I have seen in a lot of my research that Chaos often fights with several traitor legions and their associated warbands together during major campaigns, not just one legion or another. Keeping with the fluff, I decided that the Siege of Vraks was a good read and I really like all the different units involved. I don’t want to be one of those guys that throws a Lash DP and a bunch of zerkers and call it fluff. But, I don’t want to be restricted to just playing what one legion brings to the fight and the paint schemes get dull. I plan on having each 10x CSMs represent different Legions and Warbands of Chaos that fought on Vraks together. So far, I figure Alpha Legion, Tainted, Lords of Decay, Death Guard, Iron Warriors and Steel Brethren. Keep in mind I haven’t finished reading Vraks. I like that this justifies me fielding Plague Marines finally because I couldn’t before. Also, I’m excited to pick up a bunch of the Renegade Guard Vehicles and Troops from FW to incorporate in my army for Apoc games. 

So what do you guys think? Am I missing any legions or warbands that were involved on vraks? Or do you have any suggestions?

This should look good on the table. The SoV books feature 11 CSM warbands. Most are splinter factions of the original legions and have pretty unique color schemes.

IA7 - Siege of Vraks 3 page 172 lists all warbands and other Chaos forces on Vraks.

Undivided:

- Steel Brethren warband of the Iron Warriors (all chrome)

- The Faithless of the Alpha Legion (teal scutes over blue armour)

- Black Brethren of Ayreas of the Black Legion (original legion colors)

- Adharon's Reavers, Sons of Guilleman renegades (dark blue)

Nurgle (all Death Guard sub factions):

- Lords of Decay (bone colors)

- Apostles of Contagion (brownish)

- The Tainted (beige with olive trim)

- The Purge (green and black)

Khorne

- Skulltakers of the World Eaters (original legion colors)

- Berzerkers of Skallathrax of the World Eaters (original legion colors)

- The Sanctified, formerly Word Bearers (original legion colors with black helmet and arms)

I don't know how big you want your army to be, but I think the easiest way to get this organized would be to make squads composed of CSM from different warbands, split along Khorne, Nurgle and Undivided allegiances.

Wow thanks for the post! This really helps I was having trouble locating the exact splinter warbands involved.  I am still reading SoV I love it so far. This is really going to break up the monotony of having all IWs!

BTW: seeing as how most of my army is already painted I'm going to need completely new models for all of this so I found 5x 10 CSM Squads on ebay for 115 USD :)

Siege of Vraks List

Ok so I have decided to build it like this… for fluff purposes.

Undivided:

- 10x CSM: Steel Brethren warband of the Iron Warriors

- 10x CSM: The Faithless of the Alpha Legion (Possibly run as chosen so they can infiltrate… sounds fluffy) and I have to have one dude as Arkos!

- 6x Bikers: Black Brethren of Ayreas of the Black Legion (already have models for them so bikes it is)

- 10x CSM: Adharon's Reavers, Sons of Guilleman renegades

Nurgle (all Death Guard sub factions):

- 7x PMs: Lords of Decay

- 6x PMs: Apostles of Contagion + 1x FW Nurgle Sorcer (necrosis or something like that is supposed to be the guy in charge of them so…)

- 7x CSM MoN: The Tainted (just going normal CSM models for this because they aren’t all PMs and don’t wear Mark 3 like LoD and AoC)

- 7x CSM MoN: The Purge (Same as tainted)

Khorne

- 1x Zhufor, 5 MoK terminators: Skulltakers of the World Eaters (he led the whole thing so he is a must! Plus his body guards!)

- 10x KBs: Berzerkers of Skallathrax of the World Eaters (normal berserker models.)

- 10x CSM, MoK: The Sanctified, formerly Word Bearers (gonna use normal CSM models because they aren’t beserkers they just whorship khorn… Green stuff seals.)

Daemons

-JibberJaw

-Mamon

-An’ggrath

-Possible Zombies and Khorne lesser Daemons

Traitor Guard(with forge world renegade militia conversion kits.)

-20x Cadian Shock Troops

-3x Cadian Heavy Weapon Teams

-1x Sentinel

-5x Renegade Ogryn (FW)

-3x Plague Ogryn

Dedicated transports

-8x Rhinos

-2x Chimera

Total cost minus 6x bikes and 7x Plague Marines I already have… 1385 USD. Damn you Forgeworld. Well, I have to do it. I might hang off on the traitor guard and dameons and just make the traitor warbands first. This is only a 383 dollar investment. Though after that I have to get the guard. Daemons are still just a maybe at this point.

That'll be a ton of painting/building as is. If I were you I'd focus on them for the moment and see how you feel about daemons afterword..... :D

Yeah, I'm just going to focus on the 11 warbands first. I just ordered 4 Tac Marine Boxes, 6 Rhinos and some finecast Plague Marines. Thats all i really need to finish them with what i already own. Plus, I might get one unit of Loyalist marine models to use as my Faithless. Seeing as how they pretended to be loyal to sneak past enemy lines in the story. They recommened modeling them like that in the Imperial Armour Vol. 7. Plus they have rules for Arkos. :down:

Edit: Also, I will post pics of this as I paint this. Ill Prolly ask them to move this to WiP log after. I already Primed and Airbrushed my first 7 Apostles of Contagion. So far all I did was Green Stuff the legs and back packs on them to look more nurgly to match their Forgeworld torso and shoulders. I started with a yellowish green undercoat applyed with the airbrush. Then, I tried salt masking for the first time. Sprayed a 2:1 Brass to Tin Bits over the salt and scrapped it off so the green undercoat looks to be rotting through the armor. Like rust but nurgle. :yes: It looks alright but I was affraid to do too much but now i think i did too little. Going to do the trim in a matte off-white/tan mix. The Forgeworld kit came with enough sholderpads that already have the Fly on them so its perfect for the warbands logo. Ill do this in a dark red then add greens and brown washes and coats to all the puss, cracks, and spores.

- 10x CSM: The Faithless of the Alpha Legion (Possibly run as chosen so they can infiltrate… sounds fluffy) and I have to have one dude as Arkos!

Unfortunately, you can't run them as real Chosen, as their options do not match with the currant CSM Chosen. IIRC, Vraksian AL can only have 1 special weapon per squad, instead of the 5 you can have when using the C:CSM. They do still have Infiltrate though.

Make sure you get the Update PDf for the Vraks 5 list, things did change a bit after the IG codex came out.

Forgeworld Updates

just because current chosen *can* take 5 special weapons doesn't mean that they *have* to.....

Maybe so, but a LOT of people do take all 5. You see the evidence in a lot of lists posted even here.

Nevermind that none of the other more commonly taken options match either.

The only Icon Vraksian AL can have is IoCG ( which isn't a bad thing) and they can't even have Melta Bombs for every member of the squad, only the AC gets them. The current C:CSM squad size maxes at 20, the Vraks unit maxes at 10.

I fear for the fate of the options of Chosen if the Vraksian AL squad is any indication of what we should expect in the future.

Yeah I read that after I wrote this.... its sad but I can still do it in a normal game. I built a list today for use in normal 1750 tournaments that dont allow IA rules. It was very difficult showing all 11 warbands in one army but I think it turned out pretty good. I sorta wrote it off the top of my head so I have to still run the actual numbers once I get home and get to my codex but I will post on here later.

just because current chosen *can* take 5 special weapons doesn't mean that they *have* to.....

Maybe so, but a LOT of people do take all 5. You see the evidence in a lot of lists posted even here.

Nevermind that none of the other more commonly taken options match either.

The only Icon Vraksian AL can have is IoCG ( which isn't a bad thing) and they can't even have Melta Bombs for every member of the squad, only the AC gets them. The current C:CSM squad size maxes at 20, the Vraks unit maxes at 10.

I fear for the fate of the options of Chosen if the Vraksian AL squad is any indication of what we should expect in the future.

You do know that there is something called game-balance in context with whatever the rest if the options in the 'dex is right?

So unless we get all the rest of the stuff in the SoV variant lists then I don't think we need to be worried at all.

TDA

Well here they are... first squad of Apostles of Contagion. I still have to do their weapons but the rest is done. The reason they are only 6 strong is because I'm waiting for a forgeworld Nurgle Sorcerer to come in the mail to represent Necrosius.

Dig those Shoulder Pads...

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3936/cimg0610l.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Front Shot.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9601/cimg0607s.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm going to wait to base the entire army until they are all done so I can make sure that they are uniform.

So... I was having problems working out a decent 1750 list for these guys that would still represent all of them and be fluffy. Unfortunately i decided to combine the models from a few of the warbands into one sqaud but I think it will still look good. Now, how well it will do in a came is yet to be seen.

1736/1750

Troop 1: 10x CSM, 2x Plasma Guns, 1x Champ with Power Fist (The Steel Brethren and Adharon's Reavers)

Troop 2: 6x Plague Marines, 2x Flamer, 1x Champ with Power Fist, Rhino (The Purge and Apostles of Contagion)

Troop 3: 7x Plauge Marines, 2x Flamer, 1x Champ with Power Fist, Rhino (The Tatinted and Lords of Decay)

Troop 4: 8x Khorne Berserkers, 1x Champ with Power Fist, Rhino (Skulltakers)

Troop 5: 8x CSM, 1x Champ with Power Fist, Mark of Khorne, Rhino (The Sanctified)

Fast Attack 1: 4x Bikes, IoCG, 2x Melta (Brethren of Ayreas)

Elite 1: 3x Terminator, 3x Combi-Melta (Berserkers of Skallathrax)

Elite 2: 6x Chosen, 5x Melta (The Faithless)

HQ 1: Chaos Sorcer, Mark of Nurgle, Wind of Chaos

Tactics:

Troop 1: Hold back objectives, provide supportive fire.

Troop 2: Hold forward objectives, counter swarm, counter assualt (HQ 1 will join this unit)

Troop 3:Hold forward objectives, counter swarm

Troop 4: Assault support to forward objective holders

Troop 5: Fire support from the back and counter assualt support for rear forces

Fast Attack 1: Anti tank and Icon delivery for deepstiking termies

Elite 1: Termicide... nuff said.

Elite 2: Infiltrating anti-tank

HQ 1: Provides assualt support to (Troop 2)

So, I made this at work (shhhh...) so I dont have the codex in front of me and these numbers are off the top of my head but I think the point cost is right. Other than that what do you guys think...

I apologize I haven’t updated anything recently. I have been too busy painting! Don’t worry I took a lot of pictures along the way. However, I’m in Afghanistan so it’s kinda hard to upload pics with the :cussty bandwidth. So far all I have finished is the Apostles of Contagion, one of the termicide terminator body guards for Zhufor, and started working on the bikes. Oh and I got the second squad of plague marines put together, these will be lords of decay. Then with the left over plague marine torsos and arms I have I will mix with a normal tac squad and green stuff to get my squads of the purge and the tainted.

The bikes are interesting… im modeling them off the Black Brethren of Ayreas and using the alternative paint scheme found on 40kwikia.com . so im just painting them all black with gold trim on their right shoulder pad, a free handed symbol on it (the sons of horus/ chaos star highbred) and a giant chaos star that goes across their torso arms and legs. It turned out a lot better than I thought and I tried highlighting black for my first time and thought it look really well too. I did 3 shades of highlight just kept mixing chaos black with a little more grey.

To make the bikes stand out more from the model I wanted to paint it mostly boltgun with lots of sepia wash to give them a old dirty rusty metal look. But I think I went overboard with the bolt gun and going to go back and add some more black so it fits the rider better.

You will see… ill try to post more pics tonight!

• 7 months later...
Hey guys! I have been back in the states now for about 6 months now. Been busy getting my place set up and back to work, and recently I got engaged. I have finally begun to get the rest of this list together and I am going to get a lot of new pictures up here sometime this week. Stay tuned for updates.

Archived