New Dark Angels force

KJB

So, I re-read Savage Weapons (truly awesome) and the one part that always sticks in my mind is the image of Corswain and his brothers kneeling in reflection, with their heads bowed to the hilts of their swords, true crusader style, like the Templars in the movie Arn, Knight Templar - that is the imagery I wanted for my master and for that he needed a rather nice sword...

The swords in the veteran pack aren't the greatest, what with their 90 degree elbows an all, and, I'd already used the sword from the Assault squad frame - and then it hit me, the new Grey Knights plastics had some truely awesome looking swords, so, off I went to buy a box...

And here is the result

gallery_576_6094_528449.png

I went for the greatsword with the beheaded Daemon as I thought that looked the most impressive and heroic. The combi-plasma is from the Terminator Librarian kit (which I had lying around) I added that as I thought it looked nice (oh and he has a pistol holstered on there as well)

Now the hard part, do I go Pre Heresy black? Or 40k green?

I've been experimenting with basecoats - Dark Angel green looks slightly shiny to me, so I tried a 50/50 mix of Orkhide Shade and Dark Angel green, looks quite good - Not to bright and not to shiny either, a Badab Black wash looked ok on it also - I'll figure out the highlight stages as I go - maybe a Dark Angel green/Snot green 50/50 mix followed by pure Snot Green? Or what about if I substitute Goblin green for the Snot green?

Comments and critique (and painting tips!!) most welcome

Archived