question about captains

honorguard7308

One of my buddies who plays 40k and who actually got me into it says for my CSM army (see:http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=237403) to replace the Captain with Raven Guard Captain Kayvaan Shrike and attach him to the assault termies with LC and TH/SS. Will someone please tell me if this is a good idea or not? I mean I love the idea of being able to assault up to a foot, but is him in power armor going to affect the overall effectiveness of the unit? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The captain you're using isn't terrible, but the special characters in your codex are quite potent. Having a 3+ in a predominantly 2+ unit won't be that big of a deal. It has been my experience that when someone wants to pick out an IC and maul him they tend to do it with something that doesn't care about his armor save to begin with.

ShinyRhino replied to your linked post with some good advice. Personally, I like using a chaplain with assault terminators in the LRR. Rerolling all those attacks for your unit on the charge will often be far more dangerous than having a captain attached.

putting shrike with hammer termies and infiltrating them close to the enemy is one of those ideas that grew over the interwebze.

IMO you should never do this, firstly its a real cheeseball move, secondly its really not effective and any opponent worth his salt will mop them up pretty easily

save shrike for something that works well with him, vanguard, scouts, even bikes can all get alpha strikes

Archived