Word Bearers Screaming Crazed Dreadnought

The Prophet

First - extreme joy of finishing my Dreadnought with a setup of eight different arms and possibility to change between twin-linked bolters and heavy flamer. All options in the codex for full variation.

Second - extreme anger and regret after spraying varnish, when five of the eight arms become icy bastards. See below.

med_gallery_25850_1043_11089.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_13556.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_111720.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_91042.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_102611.jpg

Twin-linked Heavy Bolter Style

med_gallery_25850_1043_106654.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_51911.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_125827.jpg

DISASTER!

med_gallery_25850_1043_12265.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_118494.jpg

Anyone had this problem? I have searched for cures but the only thing people say is to give it more varnish on a dry day. I'm not sure what's the problem. I use Testor's Dull Cote, presumably the best varnish out there, but still I recieve this result. It was a rainy day, though I sprayed inside. You can see below my experiments of cover them in more varnish. It becomes a glossy opposite.

med_gallery_25850_1043_27891.jpg

med_gallery_25850_1043_97122.jpg

Any help is welcome!

OK, here's what you should do: Use brush-on gloss varnish to get rid of the icing, spray or paint on matt varnish after that.

You end up with a very well-varnished model but it takes away the milky finish. Has worked for me and friends on several occasions, we've had this problem with other sprays, too.

The dread looks very nice anyway, though. :)

Great paintjob indeed. :)

Regarding the vanish mishap, maybe it's a case of "too much vanish for your own good". It already happened to me with GW Matt varnish. The varnish coat must be very thin to avoid some unwelcome glossy effects.

Firstly, that dreadnought is great

Secondly, after my "Purity Seal" fiasco (17 Iron Hands...) I just stripped them, repainted them and then swore never to use spray varnish again, horrible stuff - I feel your pain

Thanks for all the response and helpful tricks!

Since I have five arms destroyed - and I rather buy new ones than strip the colour - I can try different things out. Lucky me! I believe it will be a slow progress, but I guess I will buy some different gloss varnishes, both spray and brush-on, as well as some new matt ones, just to try out what works best.

Very nice snow effect, thx for the tips 8)

Erm sorry ! Use TALENS mats varnish, expensive, smells shoe polish but no shade, and it doesn't flatten colors. And be careful keeping all aerosols at constant temperature as much as possible. Since I suffered the very same depleasant issue, I always give a few try on a non-mini surface (cat goes well) before spraying a beloved mini.

Nice dread btw (but rather unconvinced by the H flamer, seems odd)!

DS

I've had that mottling problem with GW's purity seal. After making the same search for cures you did I just repainted the damn things. I'm not sure what the problem was but may have been my own: after getting into the habit of spraying lightly, at arm's length, after thoroughly shaking the can before each use, the issue has all but disappeared. I echo the advice of testing it on a dark non-mini each time you go to use it too, a bare DVD case for instance will show up the mottling.

I quite like the pose you've got the Dread in, and especially like the effect on the lenses. I am a very big fan of the way you've depicted the script work on the book with fine lines, it really helps get the idea of scale on models and looks like it's been pulled off exceptionally well.

The poster from dakkadakka is correct that a coat of future floor polish will fix the frost. A friend of mine just had the frost attack happen with his minis and he resolved it that way. However, if you are in the market for stripping and starting over, I suggest using Dawn Power Dissolver. About 30 minutes to an hour will rip that paint right off the resin with no harm done. Not sure what part of the world you are in, but the Dawn product is available in the states. (Don't let it soak for more than an hour however. If multiple tries are needed, clean off with water, dry over night and re-soak. I've test with spare FW resin bits and found that soaking in the DPD for more than 3 hours will make the resin become rubbery)

Anyone had this problem? I have searched for cures but the only thing people say is to give it more varnish on a dry day. I'm not sure what's the problem. I use Testor's Dull Cote, presumably the best varnish out there, but still I recieve this result. It was a rainy day, though I sprayed inside. You can see below my experiments of cover them in more varnish. It becomes a glossy opposite.
salvation lies here

I think it's because you're painting heretics and traitors. <_<

Anytime you use spray can delivered products, you have to take note of your environmental conditions. Sprays behave rather badly out side of their posted temperature ranges, which most people know. However the other killer is relative humidity.

You mentioned that it was raining. Generally, that's not a good day to seal your work as extra moisture is in the air. I don't profess to understand all the mechanics behind the problem, but may have to do with the additional moisture causing more light to refract.

As far as recovery goes, sometimes the solutions work, sometimes they don't. If you take the attitude that all is lost and you have to redo those bits, then IF they do recover, it's a bit win. I hope you don't have to redo the extra arms and your dread looks wonderful...even if it's on the wrong side of the fence.

Cheers,

Whats going on is the varnish/paint is drying in the air before it gets to the pieces. I have this problem all the time here in Florida.

A couple of things I do to prevent it;

Inside out of direct sunlight

Coolest possible time of day

Least humidity

Hold nozzle closer to the piece

I've gone through a gallon of Simple Green in the last year or so in order to re-finish many, many models.

Next time I'll try some of the fixes mentioned here.

Archived