Number of tactical squads by point limit

Daeghrefn

Mostly I play under 2,000 pts of 40k and generally take 2 tactical squads. Pretty soon I will be doing some larger games; at 2k I am adding a third.

How many do you guys generally bring for the points? Two felt like it would be a challenge to claim multiple objectives in a higher point game.

I know there are some previous topics on the number of scoring units at various game sizes so I'll try to find those posts.

For me, I'm comfortable with 1 per 500 points but that is for Chaos where there are 2 major differences from loyalists.

1) Chaos troop choices tend to be better/easier to use.

2) Chaos troop choices don't have access to combat squads.

Between those two, I might knock it back 1 scoring unit. So 1500 points would be 3 for Chaos and 2 for loyalists. 2000 would be 4 and 3 respectively and so on.

Note, when I talk about scoring units I'm only referring to full size, 10 man squads decked out properly.

EDIT: Here is a link to a previous topic

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...&hl=scoring

Thanks for the link. My Chaos list is pretty optimized for my style at this point; it feels like Tactical Squads are a different animal than some of the other armies and probably require a more nuanced approach than "number of scoring units".

One basic difference is that my Word Bearers troops are for going out, killing everyone, and if they happen to stand on an objective doing it then huzzah. They have a much easier time filling in for the elite or heavy choices and it is therefore less of a 'sacrifice' to take more troops.

Tactical squads feel more defensive in nature. The second (usually free) weapon upgrade being a heavy limits their mobility if you plan to use it and forces a different set of decisions than I had to deal with as Chaos.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it, Daeghrefn. Honestly the answer for you is "as many as you need." Don't take more than you need to get their tasks accomplished; the amount you need will depend on what you want them to accomplish and who your games are usually played against.

My 3rd Company force is rather elite at the moment, so I only take two full strength squads so I can fit in both Honour Guard and Sternguard. One of those units will always stay as a 10 man squad, while the other can split into a combat squads is needed, but can also function as a full squad. This gives me flexibility, as although I have only two scoring units on paper, I can have three is need be, which is really enough.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it, Daeghrefn. Honestly the answer for you is "as many as you need." Don't take more than you need to get their tasks accomplished; the amount you need will depend on what you want them to accomplish and who your games are usually played against.

He usually plays against me... so there is no hope no matter how many scoring units he takes. :)

Seriously though, I'm in the school of thought that with loyalists you should take the minimum that you think will allow you to have some alive at the end of the battle. Take other stuff for killing and tactical squads for scoring.

-Myst

Anything above 1500-1750, you need 3.

That being said, I think that 3 suffice all needs all the way up to 2250 and maybe 2500 .

I run two that I never combat squad and one that I do combat squad 90% of the time.

I don't think that you can use tact squads properly if you have so few you have to play too cautiously with them.

That's my take.

MM

I actually field 0 tactical squads at nearly all point limits. I use sniper scouts instead, as they're cheaper, longer range, and more versatile, as they can engage light armor with a chance of doing something via Rending. They can also get a better save from cover, which I'm partial to, as it makes them ungodly difficult to kill at range. However, the one caveat is that they lose the double tap at close range, which can be annoying at times, but given how ineffective bolters are for my metagame, I hardly notice it most games.

The only time I ever add tacticals is when I'm playing against someone I know is limited in model selection or isn't very good at the game yet. If not, it's either Terminators or Snipers. Tacticals have disappointed me one too many times, so they get the boot.

For anyone else, I really suggest 2-3 maximum up to 2k. Any more then that, and the list is too diluted to efficiently kill the enemy.

I'am still very much in the beta testing phase for my marines, but for my 2k list I'am thinking about taking 2 tac squads and a sniper squad. As I say I don't know whether or not this will be effective but I like the idea of the marines taking hold of an objective and then passing control over to the scouts

Guest Drunk Guardian
I actually field 0 tactical squads at nearly all point limits. I use sniper scouts instead, as they're cheaper, longer range, and more versatile, as they can engage light armor with a chance of doing something via Rending. They can also get a better save from cover, which I'm partial to, as it makes them ungodly difficult to kill at range. However, the one caveat is that they lose the double tap at close range, which can be annoying at times, but given how ineffective bolters are for my metagame, I hardly notice it most games.

The only time I ever add tacticals is when I'm playing against someone I know is limited in model selection or isn't very good at the game yet. If not, it's either Terminators or Snipers. Tacticals have disappointed me one too many times, so they get the boot.

For anyone else, I really suggest 2-3 maximum up to 2k. Any more then that, and the list is too diluted to efficiently kill the enemy.

Do you struggle against lists that have long range ignores cover weapons?

@Drunk Guardian

I have definitely considered that contingency, and I know that it might pose a problem if I don't deploy accordingly (trans: scouts go in LRs). However, such weapons are few and far between, so I normally don't have a problem deploying scouts outside their LRs. Besides, most long range weapons that ignore cover usually ignore armor as well, so tactical marines are actually at more of a disadvantage then scouts, since they cost more per body.

At 2k points I've gone to all extremes with tactical squads - I've taken 6 once (just for giggles) and I've taken none in biker and scout lists. I've taken (virtually always) 10 man units with a variety of weapon loadouts, I've recently played with 5-6 man units in razorbacks. In each and every case, one thing remains - it supports the list. There is no right or wrong answer to the number of tactical squads to take - you take as many as you think your list needs, in the roles needed. you want a unit to sit back on an objective? 5 man unit in a HB or TL Las razorback works, as does a 10 man LasPlas squad on foot or in a rhino. The strength in the tactical squad selection is in the options available, USE them.

Admittedly, my favourite build is ML, Flamer, PW, in a Rhino with Dozer Blades and an extra Storm Bolter. I tend to run two of these. Both my first units painted, and fits my playstyle and listbuilding. Maybe not the most optimised build, but I like it and have fun with it.

Don't underestimate tactical marines. Their reputation as an average unit can cause an opponent to underestimate what a well put-together unit can do, especially when you throw known power units like hammernators and sternguard in an opponents face. Use as many as you need to support your main units, use them to soften a unit or finish off the remnants. if you just want to hold an objective, use a squad in a razorback or use sniper scouts.

Well that's longer than I thought it was going to be, hopefully wasn't too long and helps someone.

• 4 weeks later...
I usualy play between 1850 and 2k and never take more than 2. that being said i tend to play a semi fluffy ravenguard army and have atleast one squad of scouts(usualy the CCW scouts) or a pedro list w/ 2 squads of 6-7 sternguard runnin arround aswell.

I usually field 3 Tactical Squads in 1500 up to 2500 pts. At 2000 pts I include sniper scouts but by 2500 I'm back to just 3 scoring units as I need the room for honour guard & fleshed out sternguard squads.

My loadouts are:

Tac 1: melta, multi-melta, combi-melta, powerfist, rhino

Tac 2: flamer, missile launcher, combi-flamer, rhino

Tac 3: flamer, missile launcher, combi-flamer, rhino

I usually move Tac 1 about as much as possible w/ that heavy amount of melta to get it where it's most useful. Tac 2 & 3 I frequently combat squad & leave the 5 wound missile launcher behind in cover while the twin flamers go out & wreak havoc to claim objectives as needed. At 2500 pts I also run a pair of vindicators, rifleman dread, ironclad dread in a drop pod, auto/las pred, 10 man sternguard w/ a bunch of combis in a drop pod led by Pedro Kantor, 5 man honour guard in a razorback led by Vulkan H'Estan so I like to think I have a very solid firebase as well as a mobile strike element.

Archived