Libby Dreads vs. Furiosos

Morticon

Personally I think its more a lack of experience or understanding of mephiston's strengths and weaknesses than an actual ineffectiveness of the model. Many tournament lists in the US are run with mephiston.

I don't really think it is lack of experience or understanding, as the most succesfull BA players just doesn't field him,

That may be reflective of your meta though, Drop.

The most successful BA lists in this country are all Mephy led.

In the States the only two BA lists that made it through in the Adepticon championships were also Mephy led.

Gotta agree with Sama above, not sure how you can be pro Libby dread and anti mephy.

But, we should start another topic for that- instead of getting into it here as James said ><;

(bad mod Mort..bad!!)

That being said, and hopefully not just to appear contrary to everyone ><; Sama, I've been considering the libby dread a lot more recently. I think he actually has potential. Especially with the Wings/Might combo, and even more so in a target rich environment. Will def. try him out at some stage.

Is a Librarian Dread for 175pts with 2+D3 attacks really better than one with 3 attacks and the Blood Talon bonus? AND they can take Extra Armour so cannot be stun locked.

Death Company Dreadnoughts don't get extra armour because they ignore rolls of a 1 or a 2 on the damage table.

I absolutely love furioso dreads with talons, though I feel like a mean person the first time I use one against someone that doesn't know how blood talons work. People learn fast though.

I'm not a fan of dropping in dreads in pods or running them behind vehicles so I use a stormraven to transport them when I take them. I've found furiosos make the raven as much as the raven makes them. Meph with a supporting furioso is a devastating multi charge unit that can select several types of opponents and take them down. I'm also a big fan of death company dreads whenever I take death company.

I've never fielded a furioso librarian, but the few times I encountered one I just shot it with a melta gun from my assault squads and that was the end of it all 3 times I played against it. 175 points on something that isn't a close combat brutalizer and does what any other librarian does for 30 points more, cant hide, and isnt as tough.....just seems out of place in my lists.

Is a Librarian Dread for 175pts with 2+D3 attacks really better than one with 3 attacks and the Blood Talon bonus? AND they can take Extra Armour so cannot be stun locked.

Death Company Dreadnoughts don't get extra armour because they ignore rolls of a 1 or a 2 on the damage table.

Furioso with Blood Talons.

Furioso with Blood Talons.

I'm stupid sometimes.

:lol:

I just can't justify a Librarian dread at 175pts.

You say it is more AV13 targets on the table, but the AV13 AutoLas preds are at the back of the board, so they aren't going to be seeing my Meltguns anyway. I'm not using the same tools to deal with both. And they are liable to go pop to melta very easily.

Another point: They are lvl1 psykers... So you only ever get Wings OR Might. So if you are using them as a counter charge unit to patrol your lines, they are going to need to be using Wings. Which means 4 Attacks on the charge. Not that terrifying.

I just can't justify a Librarian dread at 175pts.

You say it is more AV13 targets on the table, but the AV13 AutoLas preds are at the back of the board, so they aren't going to be seeing my Meltguns anyway. I'm not using the same tools to deal with both. And they are liable to go pop to melta very easily.

I don't understand that comment? furiosos are in fact being placed behind predators. they're there for countercharging, when enemy gets close enough - swoooop and they land before him and assault - where's the chance of being shot by melta? but maybe I misunderstood something?

Another point: They are lvl1 psykers... So you only ever get Wings OR Might. So if you are using them as a counter charge unit to patrol your lines, they are going to need to be using Wings. Which means 4 Attacks on the charge. Not that terrifying.

you see, that's the funny part. he's not actually there to win the combat outright. furioso librarian is the best delaying unit that you could imagine. but even that isn't his main role - there are some units, that make shooty lists struggle to eliminate them. and furioso can easily bind them to fight, with AV 13 and WS 6 having fair chances of emerging victorious, or, at worst, will delay this unit for few turns. In such situation, his low attack profile is good thing - he will kill 3 models in your phase, prolong the combat -> stay safe from those melta you talk about. in my opponent turn I can cast d3 attacks and either win the combat - if the squad is small, or I can not use d3 attacks and stay in combat if the squad is big.

furioso librarian is a very subtle tool indeed, and a one, that suits only few builds - in my opinion. it's hard to explain it by writing about it, you should propably see him being played well.

cheers!

Archived