Getting better at terrain

bmcsw007

Here are a couple pictures of my latest terrain. I actually found templates for this on the internet. It came out perfect. I added the ladders for looks. Comments?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff516/BMCSW007/2011-08-31_19-48-52_621.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff516/BMCSW007/2011-08-31_19-49-07_561.jpg

Daughters, nieces, cousins. The latter in my case...so many little cousins I have to babysit while the rest of the family is reunioning...I probably could give you an abbreviated history of the Barbie toyline thanks to that.

Nicely done. Always good to see someone doing something properly architectural with expanded polystyrene! A couple of suggestions; try doing some strong drybrushing/highlighting along the strong edges. Might help to make it seem that little bit more finished. Also, perhaps try adding some vegetation to both the base and the ruin; you don't often see old ruined buildings without any sign of nature trying to reclaim them, it might make for an interesting look.

That's a pretty good job you've done here, my advice would be to add a very/huge (choose, or both) amount of rubble on each floor, front and back where it supposed to be impacted. Remember when doing it that the impact direction will get the most of rubble, but other direction will have their lot too.

then it should be allright.

You might also add some imperial propaganda sheet, I've seen it recently but cannot tell where to find templates...

I want to add rubble and vegetation, although I am worried I will mess it up. The ruins are actually made from cork board, so I might grind some of that up and sprinkle it on. Also what type of vegetation should I use? Grass, moss, or shrubs?

I want to add rubble and vegetation, although I am worried I will mess it up. The ruins are actually made from cork board, so I might grind some of that up and sprinkle it on. Also what type of vegetation should I use? Grass, moss, or shrubs?

You could always break some of the left over cork board up and use those pieces are rubble, then dry brush some moss green around the dark recesses of where it is placed, then put some veggie growing from damp and dark parts (corners, under the rubble, etc.)

If you want to go for realism, just google image search 'ruined building' or similiar. If you trawl through the images, there's quite a lot that demonstrate how rubble falls and lays around and whereabouts different types of vegetation tend to grow. Or if you're in an exploratory kind of mood, head out into the world and visit ruined houses, vacant industrial estates, etc. Find inspiration in the real world! That's how I roll...

Archived