GK Stormraven

Ashdown

My current project where I am trying a few new techniques. I broke two of the canopy struts so I decided not to bother with them. The windows them selves are tinted with green wash mixed with model masters aluminum. Really gives it a old glass look to it. Everything is fully magnetized, wings, doors, and weapons. The red is still a little bright, I am going to tone it down just a little, but so far I am really pleased with how its looking. I haven't decided where I am going to paint the GK iconography... Not sure if Ill put it on the wings underneath or on the nose. Let me know what you think and as always: comments, critiques and haters are welcomed.

Ash

100_0959%255B1%255D.jpg

I can't believe no one has commented on this, at only 35% complete it looks amazing - you can see where all of the work has gone into it, the layers, the lines all look so neat and clean - can't wait to see it completed

Whats oil like to work with on a mini?

Very, very rewarding. The pigments are much bolder than acrylics and makes blending much more forgiving. Key thing though is you have to clear cote anything you're adding oils too to for when you decide to use thinner to remove the paint. But if you want to step up your color palette, its a worth while investment/experiment. Other thing too is that it takes about 24 hours for it to dry fully depending on how think you apply it.

Thanks for all the positive comments. Ill post some more pics tomorrow. going to start adding some checker patterns to the nose, tail, and cockpit.

Ash

Whats oil like to work with on a mini?

Very, very rewarding. The pigments are much bolder than acrylics and makes blending much more forgiving. Key thing though is you have to clear cote anything you're adding oils too to for when you decide to use thinner to remove the paint. But if you want to step up your color palette, its a worth while investment/experiment. Other thing too is that it takes about 24 hours for it to dry fully depending on how think you apply it.

Thanks for all the positive comments. Ill post some more pics tomorrow. going to start adding some checker patterns to the nose, tail, and cockpit.

Ash

Actually, if you pallet your oils on a small piece of cardboard it pulls the linseed oil out of it. Then you can thin with mineral spirits which dries much faster, and after that, you can hit it with a clear lacquer based coat, and as soon as that clear coat dries you can move on. I use oils all the time as well, using the a fore mentioned process I can have my oils dry in as little as 15min.

Looks good by the way

Ashton

Archived