NMM Gold - First Timer

bearden441

Well I wanted to try out NMM gold for the heraldry on my Grey Knights as I was not a big fan of the normal metallic colors. Well here is my first ever attempt at NMM colors:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fH0loLHO5Fw/TmEnzBvuxtI/AAAAAAAAACw/TQ48o7o_-GM/s1600/photo.JPG

If you want to see the colors used and more pics, please visit my blog:

Gamer's Workbench Blog

Many Many Thanks!!

Well, your concept on how NMM is sound, it's just the technique that needs adjusting. The letters on his legs just look yellow. If you take a look at something gold and flat like the letters on your marine should be, you'll see how each and every letter has a reflection of it's own. Take a couple butter knives and stand them upright and look at how the "color" is darker in some places and lighter in others. Use that concept to shade each letter and it will look much more metallic. The color range of the paints you use should be very dark brown all the way up to very light yellow. Also, very, very think highlights in white shows the pure light reflecting off the letters; dont forget the white highlights. Using that knowledge, I think you should be able to make a more realistic NMM in no time.

Well, your concept on how NMM is sound, it's just the technique that needs adjusting. The letters on his legs just look yellow. If you take a look at something gold and flat like the letters on your marine should be, you'll see how each and every letter has a reflection of it's own. Take a couple butter knives and stand them upright and look at how the "color" is darker in some places and lighter in others. Use that concept to shade each letter and it will look much more metallic. The color range of the paints you use should be very dark brown all the way up to very light yellow. Also, very, very think highlights in white shows the pure light reflecting off the letters; dont forget the white highlights. Using that knowledge, I think you should be able to make a more realistic NMM in no time.

i like the butter knife idea. i went straight out in the kitchen and tried it :P

as far as the painting goes i agree with he_plays_guitar. a few more subtle variations on the legs and you have got a winner <_<

excellent, thanks guys! I will have to add some white highlights to the letters on the legs, as well as maybe a bit more on the chest. with the white added do you think I should darken up the lower part of the letter on the legs for a bit more contrast??

Archived