New Squad and Transport

bmcsw007

I started of by purchashing AOBR and Space Marine Battleforce. I then bought a used predator, Cato Sicarius and a Chaplain with jump pack (all used). I am going to purchase my first brand new squad and transport from GW. I am going to buy a Terminator Assualt Squad and give the lightning claws. For the transport I was going to get a landraider for my Assault Terminator (my normal terminator will deep strike), but I am wondering which land raider is the best. Help!!!

The answer here is "all three". I bought the LR kit and two of the LRC/R conversion kit (though if you're more of a guru than I with modelling, you can go with just one). I then magnetized each pair of sponsons so I can convert my LR to whatever variant I want.

The LRR is awesome because you're going to be in their face anyway and the AP3 Flamestorm cannons will wreck marine face. (Just a bunker when it's immobilised though.)

The LRC is awesome because it can move six inches and fire all of its weapons (as most of them at S4 and thus are Defensive Weapons); it's a tactical squad's volume of fire.

Both of the above variants have frag assault launchers, so when your Terminators charge out of them they count as having frag grenades. Very good for lit claw terminators. Irrelevant for TH/SS terminators.

The LRP is awesome because it's got TL Lascannons and can offer anti-vehicle support fire from your table edge...camping on back field objectives with a squishy small scoring unit inside.

All of them are AV14 and have PotMS so - given Extra Armor - each of them can keep moving under heavy fire and still fire a single weapon, unless they take an Immobilzed (or Destroyed) result...short of melta weaponry, this will be rare for them.

Also, it's commonly accepted (and a good idea) that you want at least two big and scary things in your army (so your single LR doesn't take all the anti tank fire). The most common approach here is two Land Raiders, however you can also throw in a Vindicator or two, or a Terminator death star (10 tactical terminators), etc.

It depends on what you need to help round out your list. Most people will suggest a Crusader, with multi-melta because it gives you extra transport capacity, has frag assault launchers for your grenade-less claw termies, and can move 6" and still shoot all of its weapons, since the Hurricane Bolters are considered defensive weapons and the MM uses the Power of the Machine Spirit to target nearby armor.

I personally run a Redeemer with a multi-melta because I usually spend 2 turns moving at cruising speed, and therefore use only PotMS to target something of opportunity. After unloading termies into assault (frag launchers apply) the Redeemer either softens up the intended victim of the termies, or moves off to fry anything with an armor save equal to or less than 3+. It has less capacity than the Crusader, but still enough to take 6 models in TDA, which more often than not is plenty. The Assault Cannon and MM do the range shooting early on, but it's all about the AP3 Flamestorm Cannons once you're in close. Also, the Redeemer is ten points less than the other flavors of LR.

If you're looking to use the termies as a counter-assault unit to protect a gunline, and you need more anti-AV in your army, you may wish to take a classic LR. TLLC are useful when moving 6" since you can fire both, and the LR still provides you with the Assault Vehicle special rule for stealing the charge from anything nasty that may be bearing down on your tacticals and devastators. However, the TL Heavy Bolters may not do much good against what you'll be targeting, and you will not have Frag Launchers when assaulting into cover.

In short: a Crusader for lots of anti-GEQ shooting, frag launchers, and up to 8 models of TDA; a Redeemer for anti-MEQ, frag launchers, and less points cost; and a LR for anti-tank and gunline protection.

Of course you can use any variant in different ways, but I think these to be the most common. Remember, no matter what anyone else says, it always comes down to what you want and how you play. That trumps all.

Heya,

If you are buying the box of assault terminators make sure you use magnets so you can switch thunderhammers and lightning claws between games. Thunderhammers are generally considered to be the superior choice, and are a good tool against a lot of things that the rest of the army sometimes struggles with. If you are dead set on using lightning claws, you could save a lot of money by just getting some AOBR terminators and some lightning claws off e-bay. The thing is, most people assemble their terminators with Thunder Hammers, so there's always a good deal on lighning claws online.

As far as terminators, it really depends what you want to do. The regular old landraider is pretty good with two sets of twin linked lascanons, but ironically that's what some people don't like about it. The lascanons make it feel like it should sit back and shoot, but the terminators inside make it feel like it wants to advance. If you are going with lighning claws, I recommend the Reedeemer or the Crusader since they both have assault launchers which give terminators frag grenades on the turn they assault. If you go with thunder hammers, frag grenades aren't really needed since they are I1 anyway.

I have lighning claws terminators in a crusader, and it's fun but doesn't feel overly broken. If I had it to do again, I'd take a mix of thunderhammers and lighning claws (maybe 3:2 mix) in a Reedeemer, or possibly thunder hammers in a regular landraider for countercharge purposes.

-Myst

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

"and can move 6" and still shoot all of its weapons, since the Hurricane Bolters are considered defensive weapons and the MM uses the Power of the Machine Spirit to target nearby armor."

-from Muktar's post

"The LRC is awesome because it can move six inches and fire all of its weapons (as most of them at S4 and thus are Defensive Weapons); it's a tactical squad's volume of fire."

-from Thade's post

Am I missing something? Defensive weapons, if I recall correctly, can be fired by fast vehicles, in addition to any other weapons. Landraiders, unfortunately, are not fast. Has this been addressed in a FAQ or update that I am unaware of? I hope this is the case, because I would Love to use my Crusader's full firepower while on the move.

Additionally, fast vehicles may move up to 12" and fire one main and all defensive weapons ;).

Just ask yourself, would you normally be able to fire a main weapon (not ordnance). If yes, then chances are you can fire your defensive weapons as well.

Hey

"and can move 6" and still shoot all of its weapons, since the Hurricane Bolters are considered defensive weapons and the MM uses the Power of the Machine Spirit to target nearby armor."

-from Muktar's post

"The LRC is awesome because it can move six inches and fire all of its weapons (as most of them at S4 and thus are Defensive Weapons); it's a tactical squad's volume of fire."

-from Thade's post

Am I missing something? Defensive weapons, if I recall correctly, can be fired by fast vehicles, in addition to any other weapons. Landraiders, unfortunately, are not fast. Has this been addressed in a FAQ or update that I am unaware of? I hope this is the case, because I would Love to use my Crusader's full firepower while on the move.

Move 6", allows for one main and all defensive weapons to fire as per the rulebook. POTMS allows an additional weapon. For the crusader, that usually means assault cannon and bolters dakka dakkaing some troops while the multi melta (you got one, right?) shoots either a tank or something else that would require a multi-melta. 12" though, cuts down on the firepower quite a bit, but then if you're moving 12" you're probably going for an assault terminator/vanguard deathblow to something.

Archived