How to let an army look united?

Smendrik

I am quite a noob when it comes to painting and modeling, but i started to hate it to push some grey plastic dolls over the table when my opponents are using complete painted army...

My Plan: The Crusade of Blood, the Last Stand..

Dante is ordering all companies back to Baal and even so the successor chapters and that's how I'd like to paint my army.

My assault squads on foot will be Flesh Tearers, my Vanguard Veterans will be Angels Sanguine and so on..

My Problem: How can I let them look like a unified army and not just some chapters thrown together?

They are all kinda red, but when I start painting Lamenters tactical squads it somehow falls apart...

probably sounds daft but the style you paint all the shades of red could be a big partof it. for instance i use washes on all my models and even my sanguard so it ties them all together quite well. another thing you can do is keep all the gemstones the same colour, and bolters, hazardstripes, sights purity seals etc...

Basing more than anything. It's how my priests, who are almost all white, and my troops, who are red and black, look like the same army - they're standing on the same "piece" of soil/rock.

Also, since they're of the same gene seed, then things like hair color, or all similar colored power weapons (since so many people interpret the different weapons with different colors, etc).

That is such a great idea! I'm almost considering doing that myself, but probably further down the road, just to have the experience of painting something differant then standard Blood Angels. If you're planning a campaign army you have to look at where these marines are returning from. what war they were currently fighting. That being said, Once they all hit the ground (planet) they will all have the same bases obviously as was already mentioned. I say give each army a banner from their own chapter. Even if the banner is in the tactical squad. Like the sergeat banners for example. You can even mix various chapters into the same squads to show that they are replacing fallen comrades to be at full strength. Lamenters can be differant, and I'd say giving them the honourary title of making them your command squad. If you use terminators, I'd say making them Angels Sanguine, just because I believe they stand out the best. One of your objectives can be a Blood Angel helping a fleshtearer get up and walk after he's been hit. You can have lots of fun with it, and I'm interested in seeing some other ideas!

i dont mean to nit pick but if your talking about the peice of fluff in the codex,it states that the only sucssesor not to send any marines is the lamenters.

other than that i would say use a campainge badge to unite all the marines. and also as has been mentioned the bases being the same theme will go along way to help.

Basing can be a big one, a campaign badge is the codex answer.

I'm doing something similar but I'm planning on basing the FTs in the Jungle, BA on Armageddon, and the AS on a red planet or industrial bases. I may reconsider based on some of the posts here.

The easiest ways to do it, I think, would be to use the same color palette and bases. The second one has already been suggest, and the first one a little too. Just make sure to use the same shade reds, blacks, whites, golds, ect. And it would really help if you do keep each chapter to one unit type. So, like you said, make all of your foot-based RAS flesh tearers.

The combined DC would be black, with a few alabaster white ones thrown in. Sang guard would still be gold (unless you went with the white ones).

Archived