Do you like how the Blood Angels appear in Soul Hunter?

b1soul

has anyone read Soul Hunter (a night lords book)? do you like how the blood angels are portrayed in the book?

I've read it. Its an awesome book.

I would say that A D-B portrayed them better than they are portrayed in their own novels (Deus series etc) After it came out there was a discussion on here begging A D-B to write the books involving the BA's for the HH, but James Swallow has that honour it seems.

I've only read the first two books in the Blood Angels series and Heart of Rage by Swallow. The first two were groan worthy, but pretty typical of BL books at the time. Heart of Rage was pretty good I thought.

In Soul Hunter we see a better armed force of Blood Angels with superior numbers getting wiped out by the Night Lords because they were fighting in conditions advantageous and were caught by surprise. Really, this is the only way the Night Lords would have a chance in winning. At the end of the conflict we see the Night Lords dragging themselves around on bloody nubs. Even catching the Angels off guard, they were still able to take some of the traitors down and cripple others.

Overall, the Blood Angels were portrayed as superior in direct conflict, which is the whole reason they were there. The whole scene was meant to show the Night Lords struggling when they can't just run away. The focus wasn't on the Blood Angels (which is appropriate), but we see a collection of marines that are competent at their job and can fight back when caught off guard.

I was fine with it. I'd like to see A D-B take another crack at the Flesh Tearers, but he's working on Grey Knights instead.

I really liked the way they were portrayed. In fact, in my opinion the best BL depiction of our Angels around and they were the antagonists!

They Night Lords repelled them, but they were fighting in the Night Lords's home turf and the Lords got the advantage of ambush. And in the end, the Blood Angels mauled 'em so bad they had to run away. :P

Not a bad showing in my opinion!

I can only drool at the thought of ADB writing about them as the protagonists. I hope we get our own Helsreach in the Battles series. :mellow:

I really liked the way they were portrayed. In fact, in my opinion the best BL depiction of our Angels around and they were the antagonists!

They Night Lords repelled them, but they were fighting in the Night Lords's home turf and the Lords got the advantage of ambush. And in the end, the Blood Angels mauled 'em so bad they had to run away. :D

I can only drool at the thought of ADB writing about them as the protagonists. I hope we get our own Helsreach in the Battles series. ;)

I'd love to. I don't have a lot of time for the next year or so, but writing a novel about the Blood Angels ranks very, very high in my Things To Do Before I Die list.

It can be difficult for another writer to get their teeth into a Chapter if they've already got their own series. The Blood Angels, f'rex, have their ongoing series. The Space Marine Battles series is a way around that, though. I've been tempted more than once, but by the time that compromise was reached, my schedule was crammed for the next 3 years.

I'd love to. I don't have a lot of time for the next year or so, but writing a novel about the Blood Angels ranks very, very high in my Things To Do Before I Die list.

It can be difficult for another writer to get their teeth into a Chapter if they've already got their own series. The Blood Angels, f'rex, have their ongoing series. The Space Marine Battles series is a way around that, though. I've been tempted more than once, but by the time that compromise was reached, my schedule was crammed for the next 3 years.

Thanks for the answer man. :)

I really do hope you get the chance to cram some Blood Angels stuff into your schedule, sooner or later. I think the BA background has lots of cool stuff not yet deeply explored, I personally would kill (heretics) to see a closer inspection on different Chapter rituals, such as the Moripatris.

They Night Lords repelled them, but they were fighting in the Night Lords's home turf and the Lords got the advantage of ambush. And in the end, the Blood Angels mauled 'em so bad they had to run away. :woot:

I can only drool at the thought of ADB writing about them as the protagonists. I hope we get our own Helsreach in the Battles series. :)

Space Marine Battles is the only way I think. Do it, please. Pretty please. Pretty pretty please. Pretty pretty please with the cherry on top. Do something with this BA-Necrons alliance versus Tyranids. 1 or 5 years, it doesn't matter, just do something with it. Help me Aaron Dembski-Bowden, you're my only hope.

They Night Lords repelled them, but they were fighting in the Night Lords's home turf and the Lords got the advantage of ambush. And in the end, the Blood Angels mauled 'em so bad they had to run away. :)

I can only drool at the thought of ADB writing about them as the protagonists. I hope we get our own Helsreach in the Battles series. ;)

Aaron, I'd love for you to do a battles book based on the 2nd Armageddon War with Tycho and Dante. Think about it, it'd have a nice link with Helsreach.

Back on Topic - I think the BA's got a fair go, both in Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver. In fact, having read Blood Reaver, it makes you realise how bad the BA's did hurt the Night Lords.

If this our cue to strap A D-B to a Golden Throne?

Hmmm, just let me consult my Black Rage for a little bit.

Yes. Yes, it is.

grab him next time he comes in and hold him down while we chain him to the dam thing -_-

but by the time that compromise was reached, my schedule was crammed for the next 3 years.

dude all i hear are excuses ;) . just drop everthing and get started on a blood angels trilogy or even a heresy book

Back on Topic - I think the BA's got a fair go, both in Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver. In fact, having read Blood Reaver, it makes you realise how bad the BA's did hurt the Night Lords.

Agreed. I particularly like how they its alluded to the fact that the NL think we are a particularly blood thirsty 'legion', particularly

over the telling of the void born death; and susequent vengeance enacted by the NL.

Yup - another in the A D-B fan club!

I loved the portrayal of the Blood Angels in Soul Hunter & Blood Reaver. If you haven't read Blood Reaver yet then stayed tuned, there's a HH flashback where one of the Night Lords basically comments on how tough the Blood Angels are to fight.

Apart from the fact that I like that as a BA fan it makes for a more interesting novel if the protagonists have a decent for to overcome.

I completely disagree with Black Orange, the Night Lords didn't waltz through their battle with the BA. They lost men and took wounds. It wasn't quite a pyrrhic victory but still hard fought.

I'd love for A D-B to tackle the Blood Angels or the Flesh Tearers. I loved the depiction of the Black Rage in At Gaius Point. I'm happy to wait for him to write that novel, I think we're lucky it's on his Bucket List!

Don't you think that in the novel mentioned the main character waltzed through the Blood Angels with an unrealistic ease? He is an uber character for sure but is never truly tested. I found that lacking in content.

I don't recall him cleaving through Blood Angels left right and centre. Sure, he won and the Night Lords just about managed to repel the Blood Angels but they took heavy losses and if you read the next book you'll see just how badly they got mauled.

Anyhoo, even though I am a BA player and have been for many years, the books are so damn good that I was still cheering for the Night Lords!

I thought they were portrayed rather poorly. I'm all for the fact that Chaos Marines are probably better on an individual level than current-day Marines due to having so much more experience, but the way they mopped the floor with the Angels was a little OOT, imo.

It was an entertaining tale to me but written very heavily in the favor of Chaos. The main character seems to have no trouble versus Blood Angels and carries a sword from our chapter.

Don't you think that in the novel mentioned the main character waltzed through the Blood Angels with an unrealistic ease? He is an uber character for sure but is never truly tested. I found that lacking in content.

a few things should be remembered:

1) in the battle, the Angels are attackers entering hostile, unfamiliar territory, the Night Lords are defenders lying in wait, aware of all the best places for springing ambushes

2) it's a Night Lords novel, so of course they're going to look good (the same could be said for any book featuring a particular chapter/legion)

Night Lords casualties from Bloodreaver:

“I’ve done a soul count myself. The Blood Angels butchered over a hundred of the

crew, and almost thirty of our warriors.”

6 out of 8 drop pods make it to the Night Lords' ship, so the Angels suffer many more Astartes casualties than the Night Lords do. This makes realistic sense. However, as an unabashed Angels fan, I would have enjoyed a few descriptions of Angels hacking up Night Lords. I don't think any of the Night Lords' casualties are directly described other than the Night Lord killed by the dreadnought.

Archived