Do you like how the Blood Angels appear in Soul Hunter?

b1soul

Actually - dont forget that relates to only 4 pods. So the numbers wok out as the Exhalted suggesting that there may have been either 5 or 10-man squads in each pod. Talos and Co ambush 1 combat squad, then kill another combat squad where they encounter the Dread (1 pods contents). The BA dreadnought fills the second pod, so there are a max of 20 more BA's about in the ship. So the other NL casualties were all caused by 20 marines. 3-2 kill ratio isnt so bad is it?

Actually - dont forget that relates to only 4 pods. So the numbers wok out as the Exhalted suggesting that there may have been either 5 or 10-man squads in each pod. Talos and Co ambush 1 combat squad, then kill another combat squad where they encounter the Dread (1 pods contents). The BA dreadnought fills the second pod, so there are a max of 20 more BA's about in the ship. So the other NL casualties were all caused by 20 marines. 3-2 kill ratio isnt so bad is it?

OK, 8 pods were launched, 2 were destroyed, 6 remained, 4 impacted the Covenant...the other 2?

The Blood Angels practically crippled the Covenant despite their low numbers, and the Chapter was instrumental in sweeping the forces of Chaos away from the system. I would say that was a damn good showing, considering we were the antagonists in the novel.

600 Blood Angels "represents overwhelming force" to the Chaos Marines. Abaddon will probably pee in his armor if the entire Blood Angel chapter showed up. :P

600 blood angels represents crippling force to a fleet that's landed almost all its marines and support. Take the fleet and the on-planet forces are so much target practice...

600 marines against an entire chaos armada isn't exactly much as long as the chaosfleet's admiral has a braincell or two left. 600 marines in support of an imperial armada on the other hand are rather annoying.

didn't someone already mention talos & co disabling a grand cruiser in a battle? i imagine 600 fully equipped blood angels could do some serious damage to all the important ships (read marine or titan carriers would would be stranded planetside. In a battle. Without chance of evac, resupply or support)

Consider - they launched 8 pods at at least 2 ships. They would be sending enough to reasonably expect to do significant damage, not just suicide squads. So thats somewhere between 20 and 40 marines per ship, 600 marines is therefore potentially enough for between 15 and 30 Astartes vessels (assuming they'd be willing to send that many against a NL Strike Cruiser, why not any other strike cruisers). Possibly even more vessels if they use less marines on non-astartes vessels (10 marines ought to be able to take out a renegade Naval vessel unless it has traitor marines in it - get in, hit the engines, move on or get back to their own ship). I dont know if the size of Abbadons fleet is mentioned, but if you ignored anything troop-ship or transport-like, assume that the Loyalist vessels can take care of any smaller vessels that might threaten them, then the 600 Blood Angels might be able to gut the capital ships, battleships and cruisers in fairly short order. Even if they only take 1/4 or 1/3 of the chaos fleet, thats a massive blow.

Not really as they would kill him outright.

Talos is a good character because he is flawed.

The characters from the codexes tend not to be good characters for the purposes of storytelling, because they aren't. Don't get me wrong they have their superficial issues, but not enough to provide real dramatic tension.

I would have loved to see Talos up against a first class Blood Angels hero such as the Sanguinor, Mephiston or even Dante. Now that would be interesting.

G :D

That would be as boring as a tabletop sergeant or captain against the Sanguinor. That's the point of Talos and most of my characters; they're not the Codex heroes, they're much closer to grunt-level. He'd die in about six seconds.

I have always pretty much seen NL as emo so I don't know the novel did not sit right with me. Nothing is going to change that PoV.

G :HQ:

That's the Raven Guard. Night Lords are the kind of vindictive bastards who would skin you alive and then hang you up as a warning not to use their stuff ;)

I told you not to use the decorative soaps.

I would have loved to see Talos up against a first class Blood Angels hero such as the Sanguinor, Mephiston or even Dante. Now that would be interesting.

G ;)

That would be as boring as a tabletop sergeant or captain against the Sanguinor. That's the point of Talos and most of my characters; they're not the Codex heroes, they're much closer to grunt-level. He'd die in about six seconds.

Well from a BA PoV that could be enjoyable. :P

G :)

Not really as they would kill him outright.

Talos is a good character because he is flawed.

The characters from the codexes tend not to be good characters for the purposes of storytelling, because they aren't. Don't get me wrong they have their superficial issues, but not enough to provide real dramatic tension.

To me Mephiston is definitely flawed. Dante seems like a boy scout while the Sanguinor who can really say?

G :P

G :P

Six? I think you're being generous there.

Long time lurker don't want to be that fan boy but... ,Que internet scorn,... I'm a big fan of ADB's work and i thought the balance was right, yes you have to build tension otherwise the reader is left thinking

A. so X amount of blood angels are coming, they're easily killed, what was the point, contrasting with

B The protagonists all die and the book is finished 40 pages in which no-one really wants.

It would feel reminiscent of the feeling i had when a certain primarch was killed in an early book (hate spoilers for those who may not have read them) in what appeared to me to be far too short an amount of time. I've just finished re-reading The First Heretic and loved it, it seems to be one of the more recent books that had that Horus Rising, Galaxy In Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Fulgrim, Legion feeling. Rather than being like some of the other new books that seemed to be rather pointless in the continuation of the telling of the horus heresy despite being good books in and of themselves.

Anyway i fear that Vodka may have fuelled a rather random and disjointed post so i'll leave it as ADB's work is fantastic, in my opinion, up there with Abnett (dare i say it maybe better), I'd also add that i think whether or not you appreciate his work the fact he responds to things like these shows he's a committed and caring fan of the universe, at the end of the day he doesn't need or have to. Keep up the good work ADB and i'll be buying Aurellian if BL have updated their servers.

• 2 months later...
I would have loved to see Talos up against a first class Blood Angels hero such as the Sanguinor, Mephiston or even Dante. Now that would be interesting. G ;)

Six? I think you're being generous there.

well, ADB did have Malcharion (a NL champion) defeat 3 loyalist champions (IF, BA, and WS) "in the span of a single day"...so I'm pretty sure he could have Talos do something similarly awesome-sauce if he wanted to

My favorite characters are like Hamlet - they are flawed, display a high sense of principles (class) and also have an innate heroic sense of justice. In the end they eventually die due to their inherent flaw and because they could not ignore their principles in place of self preservation. It really hurts when they do die and but that just makes the end of the story that much better.

G ;)

I'm struggling through Black Tide at the moment, and while it's not quite reaching the pinnacle of Black Library awfulness that was the Grey Knight/Gladiator cross-over book, it's getting pretty close.

Please A D-B, save the Blood Angels from James Swallow !

I'm struggling through Black Tide at the moment, and while it's not quite reaching the pinnacle of Black Library awfulness that was the Grey Knight/Gladiator cross-over book, it's getting pretty close.

Please A D-B, save the Blood Angels from James Swallow !

guess who's writing the HH BA novel!

Archived