Freehand company markings.

Jorre

I have been trying to freehand Some yellow blood drops on my marines to represent that they are in the second company. I'm not very good at it. Basically I have trouble making the bottom curved part of the drop. Also keeping them a consistent size is very difficult.

Anyone got any pointers or tips for this kind of thing?

First tip is practice. I'm not a great freehander, but I've done a bunch of symbols and you get better. If you're not confident, paint the symbol a bunch of times on a piece of cardboard or similar piece of scrap before you put it on your model. For consistent sizing, try to find reference points. I typically want the symbol to run about 2/3 of the way across the flat part of the shoulder pad. Having a clear picture of the size of the symbol you want helps. You can also mark out the extent before you paint with small dots to use as a guide. Start with a simple vertical line of the length you want and then fill it out to make the drop.

To build upon Brightguy's advice, instead of simply a line, drawing a horizontal one near to the bottom in an inverted cross shape can help too. This will mark out the outer edge of the blood drop's bottom curve. From there, simply connect the edges of the horizontal line to the top and put a curve in the bottom and fill it out. If need be I guess I could go into MS paint and whip up a quick diagram, I suppose.

i hate free hand. and i play 5th co, have you noticed what we have to do on out sarges shoulders... grumble, lol. anyway for mine (well both shoulders as i have my chaper symbol a hawquise blood drop with lightening running down it) i doo a rough blood drop, trying to get the top point right first time. then when that drys i go round the outline with the colour of the pas to tidy it up and make it look a little bit more uniform. Realy id prefer to cast up a bunch of the death co pad that has a big flat blood drop in it but as i have over 100 marines im not gonna go back and redo them all...

Archived