Abaddon the despoiler

Nickos

Im a recent addiction to the blood angels, got a good collection already, but my first battle is against a chaos player, with abaddon the despoiler and 5 shooty terminators. now i have seen his stats. he is a BEAST!!! i cant remember the rest of his army.... i think Khârn the betrayer was in there too. now i know both of them is big points in one army so i guess i can use that against him.

So my choice of models are:

every character in the blood angels list

chaplain in terminator armor

san priest in terminator armor

librarian in terminator armor

ten terminators 5 lc and 5 th/ss

Librarian

2 x chaplains

3 x san priests with pw's

san guard all pw's/banner 2xip

libby dreadnought

furioso dreadnought with talons

10 x death company with any weapons needed, without jump packs

20 x assault marines (thunder hammer/pfist/power sword/4xmeltas/plasma gun) with jump packs

10 x assault marines (pfist/2xmeltas) without jump packs

2 x rhino/razorbacks with either tllc or tlac

Land raider crusader/redeemer

2 x land speeder tornados with assault cannons and multi melta

1 x land speeder typhoon

baal pred

devastator squad 5 x ml, lascannon, heavy bolter, plasma cannon

I mite be able to have a standard land raider ready for it..... MITE!!

Any help would be great.

Nickos.

p.s hope you like my collection so far. Is it blood angel enough?

Abaddon is a fancy dude in melee, but he has a lot of problems. For one, Chaos has problems delivering him. (A Land Raider is mostly required, and Meltaguns solve Land Raiders pretty easily.) Second, he is a massive point sink, since he doesn't actually do anything other than punch dudes- instead of him, CSM could be bringing... seven Terminators? So there's that. Third, he is Fearless, but the Terminators are not, so if you can win combat against them, it is entirely possible to sweep him off the table. Fourth, he has a Daemon Weapon, so 1/6 of the time he just punches himself in the face.

So, what you'll want to do is simple. Shoot his transport (assuming he has one) out from under him; pour firepower into the squad, ideally from LasPlas, but other sources will do in a pinch. As much as possible, use your speed to simply stay out of range of him and his buddies and don't let them charge you- with the points invested in Abby + Raider + Termies, the rest of his army is going to be lacking. Once you're forced to deal with him, make sure to commit as much overwhelming force as possible to insure you win the fight. However, wait to do so until it's necessary, as his other units will always be easier targets. Never underestimate the value of a transport that moves 7"-12" in front of him and blocks access to your army.

Chaos has problems delivering him. (A Land Raider is mostly required, and Meltaguns solve Land Raiders pretty easily.)

Third, he is Fearless, but the Terminators are not, so if you can win combat against them, it is entirely possible to sweep him off the table. Fourth, he has a Daemon Weapon, so 1/6 of the time he just punches himself in the face.
This, knock out his transport, or focus fire if he deepstrikes. Force morale checks, if the unit fails it is pretty much game over for Abaddon.

Abaddon has so many issues it is not even funny.

I think taking both the Sanguinor and Dante to kill Abaddon would be a good idea. Especially when your opponent will field Khârn as well. Furthermore I agree with the PlasLas spam at the Terminator. It might pay off to Deep Strike Dante and a Honour Guard with meltaguns/Sanguinary Guard with IP just behind Abaddon's vehicle. In this situation I would choose the Sanguinary Guard as they will be able to deal with the Terminators better (having PW's and such :woot:) If you keep the Sanguinor and a Sanguinary Priest close your Sanguinary Guard unit would gain from 3 extra attacks and 1+ strength (on the charge). 25 Powerweapon attacks agains Chaos Terminators? Yes please!

Good luck mate ;)

Oh man. I faced off Abbadon in the last doubles tourney I played. He was running in a twin Death Guard team with the other opponent fielding Typhus. Basically it was only Abbadon in one LR I think. Dante drops in with a quad-melta HG and slags his raider's engines, immobilizing it, Abbadon pops out, displeased with the damage done to his ride and eager to give me a few key pointers on fun places I can stick my meltaguns, then I forget exactly what happened but I think instead of Dante he opted to charge my Libby's RAS, failed his Daemon Weapon roll and punched himself in the head, and proceeded to meet the business end of nine chainswords and two power weapons.

Then rolled four ones in his armor saves, and I didn't lose a single man.

After that Dante and that same squad ganged up on Typhus and his Nurgle termies and bullied them to death too.

They opted to quit turn four. It was a good day to be a son of Sanguinius.

If you take both Sanguinor and Dante that is an awesome combination to defeat Abbadon. Use Dante's curse to lower his stats then the Sanguinor targets him rerolling hits and wounds in combat.

G :woot:

This... is kinda like shooting yourself in the foot to win a fight. By concentrating far too many points in HQs of your own, you intend to punish him for doing the same? You'll win that fight, but he'll do to you exactly what I explained to do to him in the above. And, to be honest, Dante is just not that good in a fight.

Using Dante is fine; using Sanguinor is also fine. Both of them can be the focus of some pretty good lists, albeit a bit less so with Sanguinor. But using them together is just weird and difficult; that's almost 1/4 of your army right there, in two models. If you're running Dante, sure, load up on SG as your only troops, take some Devs to support you and go to town- with Dante's Mask doing its thing (and a Priest nearby), your unit of Guard should be striking simultaneously with him (and Dante striking ahead), so it shouldn't be difficult to tear him up pretty badly. Make sure you kill all those Terminators, of course, but you should have enough attacks to take them all down and also get some damage in on Abby as well.

Also, neither Abaddon nor his Termies have grenades. If you can scuttle into some cover, you can guarantee striking first. (Remember that Jump Infantry can always choose to move like regular infantry, meaning no Dangerous Terrain tests needed.)

well i will definitely take Dante, i think reducing abaddon's stat's will come in very handy, especially the -1I, and well the rest will be great too.

I was thinking of taking:

Dante

Sanguinary Guard, all pw's, 2x IP's, and banner.

2 x 10 man assault squads- 2x melta's, and a PF

Thats just my base army, what else do you think i should take?

Last Choas Codex I read was the second edition one. Do Blood Angels still get a buff from the Talon of Horus?

(For those who remember Blood Angels were subject to Hatred whilst other loyalist Marines were subject to Fear)

I'm here at my Plague Marine playing friend and I just looked it up. It doesn't. The combo of Talon of Horus and his Daemon Sword gives him Strength 8, he may re-roll any failed roll to wound in close combat. The sword also gives him an additional D6 number of attacks.

How many points do you have? I would take a Librarian (with Jump Pack) and two Sanguinary Priests (idem) at least. Furthermore a squad Devestators with Plasma/Lascannons seems like a good choice...

ill have 2000 - 2500, depends on what my friend (chaos player) can get up to.

yeah sorry i forgot to mention the librarian and 2 x san priests

I don't have my Codex with me at the moment but I would strongly recommend using Devestators with 2 Plasma and 2 Lascannons with perhaps a Predator with Twin-linked Lascannons and Lascannon sponsons.. When I'm home I'll take a closer look ;)

PS: No Blood Angel got ever hurt by a second squad of Sanguinary Guard :3

I don't have my Codex with me at the moment but I would strongly recommend using Devestators with 2 Plasma and 2 Lascannons with perhaps a Predator with Twin-linked Lascannons and Lascannon sponsons.. When I'm home I'll take a closer look ;)

i only have one lascannon and one plasma for a devastators, the rest are missile launchers. i dont have a predator, just have what i put in my list on my first post.

what did you mean bout the sanguinary guard?

i only have one lascannon and one plasma for a devastators, the rest are missile launchers. i dont have a predator, just have what i put in my list on my first post.

what did you mean bout the sanguinary guard?

Last Choas Codex I read was the second edition one. Do Blood Angels still get a buff from the Talon of Horus?

(For those who remember Blood Angels were subject to Hatred whilst other loyalist Marines were subject to Fear)

Man I wish they bring that rule back in the next Chaos 'dex. It was such an awesomely fluffy rule.

Back on topic: get Death Company with Chaplain support. 4 Power Weapons (and Chaplain's of course) with an equal amount of bare-bones psychos.

Furious Charge with re-rolls to hit and wound ensure no one is walking away when these bad boys charge. When there's need for overkill, the DC are there for you.

Transport is mandatory.

(Or you could just ignore the enemy Deathstar and focus on objectives, but that isn't much fun now is it?)

Back on topic: get Death Company with Chaplain support. 4 Power Weapons (and Chaplain's of course) with an equal amount of bare-bones psychos.

Furious Charge with re-rolls to hit and wound ensure no one is walking away when these bad boys charge. When there's need for overkill, the DC are there for you.

Transport is mandatory.

(Or you could just ignore the enemy Deathstar and focus on objectives, but that isn't much fun now is it?)

But wouldn't Abaddon strike first on initiative? meaning i would lose a few DC

Transport is mandatory.

But wouldn't Abaddon strike first on initiative? meaning i would lose a few DC

Yeah, you'll lose a few. That is the reason for the psychos with no upgrades. You can also use the Chappy's Rosarius to deflect wounds if you are feeling lucky.

Your opponent needs to roll extremely good in order for you to lose all your PWs. And in that case nothing really helps. :lol:

Can someone give me abaddon's stats, because i was thinking that if i take dante, that will reduce abaddon's stats, eg -1I, then i charge with furious charge, gaining +1I, i should still be bale to swing the same time as abaddon. hopefully killing him in the process with DC or San Guard with Dante

Abby is WS7 I6 and T4(4), otherwise being pretty standard for a Marine character, so if you hit him with the Mask he'll be swinging simultaneously with your guys charging and after most characters on the charge.

I would be very hesitant to send Mephiston against him because Abby is immune to Instant Death, has a decent invulnerable save, and wounds on 2s even against Meph. You'll get to hit him first and will probably get some licks in, but it's unlikely you'd kill him unless there was some significant other support and his swings back would likely wipe Meph out.

Archived