Grey Knight Target Saturation

Legato

I'm slowly putting together a Grey Knight army (mostly in my head at this point, very little actual $ has been put out there) and I have a question of the list-building variety.

If I plan on using the Mighty Malleus Draigo Rangers (all paladins, all the time) what vehicles, if any, should I bring? Here's what I understand of the options as they are:

OPTION 1 - SLOG IT! No vehicles at all means the army has no real priority targets beyond Draigo and whatever other HQ I decide to bring. Because the army is all terminator armor there's really only one option for MMDR, and that's even MORE paladins and possibly a Dread Knight. This seems to me like it would just lead to a horrendous end, as the enemy can really pick where to put his weapons since every target is equally dangerous.

Option 2 - WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE KRAKS? Dreadnoughts (Venerable or otherwise) and Storm Ravens filling out everything that isn't a paladin leads to a situation similar to option 1, but this list actually has armor, which is taking the shots off of my paladins at least slightly. Ravens are really expensive, but they are fast AT that can crush infantry in a pinch.

Option 3 - LAND RAIDER PARTY! Oh, to be back in the days of five land raiders in an army. Oh, to be back in the day when that was undoubtedly a good idea! Land Raiders are the iconic "screw you" tank, and now we have three different flavors. If I were to bring a raider, I'd have to bring another. If I bring two land raiders, that's a lot of points! AV14 is good, but one can only get two on the table without sacrificing a lot. That means everything that can shoot down a raider is going to be trying all turn, every turn.

What sayest thou?

Seconded. <3

Draigo wing is very infantry model light (I like how you call them "Draigo Rangers" btw) and the only transports they can ride in - LRs and Storm Ravens - are VERY expensive and cost you in infantry models. A 1500 point list will comfortably have 15-20 Paladins in it (depending on what - if any - supporting choices you take). Either of those heavy support options costs nigh 4-5 Paladins worth of points.

Short answer: mostly people slog it. However, if you have only a Paladin kill-team instead of all Paladins/all the time, I've seen effective applications of five Paladins (sometimes with attached Librarian or Champion) piling out of a SR onto some doomed foe.

It depends on your play style really. I like to go for a wound saturation, so draigo, paladins and DK's, do they shoot the heavy weapons at the teleporting DK's who will be in their face soon? or do they go for the paladins and try and instant death them?

I dont like using landraiders in a terminator heavy list, due to their cost, each vehicle you bring is 1 less squad (roughly), and in a small elite force, you need squads, however some people have luck using a single landraider, or draigo, 2x5 paladins and 2 landraiders/storm ravens.

My 1500 point force is Draigo, 15 paladins and 1 teleporting DK. 38 wounds on 17 models. I recently went to a 1750 point tourny and took a second teleporting DK along. The missile spam space wolf force I fought really didn't do much against me :lol:

If i got rid of the DK's I could easily fit in several dread's, but I like the DK's, so I use them :eek

There is 1 thing that ultramarines are better at then grey knights..... Dying showing up with a ton of their friends with S8 AP1 spam and tiny, cheap transports with which to ID and Tank Shock! proud GK Paladins.

This is not only *fixed; this also highlights my greatest fear.

There should be a law against quoting people and changing the quote Thade...... And its not just ultramarines that can spam str8 ap1, I feel chaos could do it better, though they lack combat tactics. Getting slightly off topic here though...

There should be a law against quoting people and changing the quote Thade that people are allowed to amend or otherwise completely rewrite people's quotes in an effort to inject levity, provided strike out tags are used appropriately and no animals are harmed...... And its not just ultramarines that can spam str8 ap1, I feel chaos could do it better, though they lack combat tactics. Getting slightly off topic here though...

*Fixed.

Actually, there's a pretty massive thread over in the Chaos section where they seem to lament that they're currently outclassed by modern codex fire power. :P Perhaps in their new dex things will be different.

There is 1 thing that ultramarines are better at then grey knights..... Dying

No, no there are 2 things. Dying and Running away. Combat tactics for the win.;)

So, so true <_<

Archived