Ultramarines Strike Force Malleus

roooooot

I had started this over in the Ultramarines forum and I figured it's time to man up and move it into the proper WIP forum.

Some quick background info: I'm a really new player, I had a Fantasy army back in high school (Dark Elf, circa 94-96) and fell out of the hobby. Over the past few years I've been keen on getting back into it on the 40K side and finally bit the bullet and started putting together an Ultramarines army over the summer. I keep adding to it, and through all my forum reading and youtube video watching I am picking how to get everything looking all sharp. I am endeavouring to keep it as close to fluff and as WYSIWYG as possible and I figured this is the place to figure that out.

C&C is obviously desired, I've only been at this intermittently for a few months. Most of my motivation for this thread was that maybe people might find it fun to watch someone from the absolute beginnings, and also to keep me motivated. Although with my girlfriend having moved several provinces away for school, I got nothing but time these days.

Anywho, without further adieu, the pics.

Here's the totality of everything I have in my queue (minus a Sternguard Squad, and a Librarian model)

gallery_62416_6466_108248.jpg

AoBR set, Battleforce box, Devastator Squad, 5 man combat squad bundled into the 5 man from the Battleforce for a third tactical squad, Razorback, Droppod.

My very first tactical squad, chock full of mold lines and rookie mistakes.

gallery_62416_6466_60947.jpg

Terminator Combat Squad, WIP

gallery_62416_6466_61527.jpg

Terminator Squad, complete

gallery_62416_6466_45128.jpg

Second tactical squad (3 marines in the back just have the armour painted, the rest need squad markings and such)

gallery_62416_6466_89581.jpg

I'm really happy with that ruddy Sgt model I cobbled together out of spare parts.

AoBR Captain and random Sgt model

gallery_62416_6466_45326.jpg

The Captain was one of the first things I ever painted, the banner needs some love.

Almost finished Rhino

gallery_62416_6466_61720.jpg

I was unsure of myself and painted a lot of it shut, kind of regret that.

Razorback WIP

gallery_62416_6466_46554.jpg

I keep forgetting to grab a pic of the interior, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I also learned to not glue the hatches shut so it can be used in multiple roles. I also intend this to be my command squad transport so I'm gonna devote some extra time to it.

Droppod WIP

gallery_62416_6466_29160.jpg

Yup, it's a droppod. I'm looking forward to weathering this like mad.

My first Dread

gallery_62416_6466_32611.jpg

To come in order of priority (aka basecoated and modelled, unpainted):

- Assault Squad (I am super pumped at how I modelled the Sgt's base)

- Devastator Squad, marked up as Tactical Squad heavy weapon marines

- 3rd Tactical Squad

- Command Squad; Sternguard + Librarian

- Scout Squad

Also, I feel the usage of "Strike Force Malleus" seems like it's done to death; I literally grabbed for it as I was making this post. I've been endeavouring to come up with some fluff-worthy and I am not 100% if that fits the bill. Hammer in Latin, too obvious maybe?

Nice work; these look very good. I especially like the writing (especially especially on that banner with the slogan); very nicely done there.

It may be just the lighting and/or camera (in which cases, you disregard what I say here :) ) but the strokes on the white paint parts of your Rhino seem to be very obvious. I can sympathize as I have more than a few models that - under my color scheme - get very large, pure white areas. I have two different methods of handling this to minimize the apearance of strokes. I either base coat the entire model in white then paint the other colors up from there (my primary armor color is black, for the record) OR I do it the old fashioned way: base in codex then fortress grey (one coat of each) then I do repeated cream-consistency washes of white until I get to the color I want, allowing LOTS of time to dry (otherwise a subsequent application of paint will pull the not-yet dried previous coat around, making for ugly texture ^_^ ).

Hope this is helpful. :lol: Great work so far!

Nice work; these look very good. I especially like the writing (especially especially on that banner with the slogan); very nicely done there.

It may be just the lighting and/or camera (in which cases, you disregard what I say here :P ) but the strokes on the white paint parts of your Rhino seem to be very obvious. I can sympathize as I have more than a few models that - under my color scheme - get very large, pure white areas. I have two different methods of handling this to minimize the apearance of strokes. I either base coat the entire model in white then paint the other colors up from there (my primary armor color is black, for the record) OR I do it the old fashioned way: base in codex then fortress grey (one coat of each) then I do repeated cream-consistency washes of white until I get to the color I want, allowing LOTS of time to dry (otherwise a subsequent application of paint will pull the not-yet dried previous coat around, making for ugly texture :( ).

Hope this is helpful. ;) Great work so far!

It's probably the lighting on the photo, but that's still pretty solid advice. I did the whole razorback in Mordian Blue and built up the "white" from that to Codex Gray and then Space Wolves Grey, so it's not even technically pure white in those pics. I tried to jump to pure white on the original Rhino I have to get the Tactical arrow on the hatch, and quickly painted over the streaky mess and bought some FW decals (best idea ever on that bit of detail).

I will admit to skipping a few shades on the terminator helmets and cruxes; I did go from codex/badab black straight to skull white, which I didn't originally intend to, but it weirdly worked. They still aren't the greatest white helmets in the world, but I was pleasantly pleased with the results.

Now I just gotta figure out the blue tintage that GW does on their Sternguard models.

Sorry for the iphone pics, I'm just so excited with how the Razorback is shaping up and my other camera's battery is dead. The font and sides still need shading and highlighting. The interior, top and back are pretty much done minus some details here and there.

gallery_62416_6466_172146.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_185541.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_34855.jpg

Also, bonus pic of the finished rhino. I've toned down the highlights quite a bit from the paint job on the Rhino to the Razorback, and I think it's turning out much better. Much less extreme.

gallery_62416_6466_49508.jpg

nice banner! :cuss

you might want to recheck the eyes of the Assault sergent (may be it's the photo though)

if you squad marking is not complete I suggest you mix up your two tactical. the AoBR model tend to look static but they also tend to blend well within "normal" marines

Cool looking Ultramarines army, the rhino/razorback and the finished rhino for your tactical squad looks great roooooot, the skull decal are from FW?

Thanks! Yah, those FW decal sheets are kind of my favourite thing. I've been slapping them on just about everything to make up for my lack of freehand skills right now.

nice banner! :D

you might want to recheck the eyes of the Assault sergent (may be it's the photo though)

if you squad marking is not complete I suggest you mix up your two tactical. the AoBR model tend to look static but they also tend to blend well within "normal" marines

Those eyes are very very very much on my to-do list to go back and redo, shakey hands don't do my any favours on those small bits. And that's a good tip on the on the static models. I have that third tactical squad on my painting list that I can mix/match them

I love it, a tut on how you did the arrow and the scull on the razor/rhino please!

Sure!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...SFER-SHEET.html

plus

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/winterdyne_tutorial3.pdf / http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286310

Few new ones from this weekend. Finished a Sternguard test model which I am super happy with. Started on my Libby; tried to get fancy-ish with the base. Plus two heavy weapons marines. Things are coming along nicely me thinks.

gallery_62416_6466_14975.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe it's your first time, but certainly you're no noob :P Everything looks really, really good, maybe not GD level, but still VERY decent tabletop. Most gamers I know would be more than happy to possess the level of skill you have.

Haha I see you made use of the repeating pattern like you said you would. Came out really nice, good job man.

It was too good an idea to pass up! Before I saw yours all I thought of was running it along some tank armor, but that's just crazy obvious.

Maybe it's your first time, but certainly you're no noob ^_^ Everything looks really, really good, maybe not GD level, but still VERY decent tabletop. Most gamers I know would be more than happy to possess the level of skill you have.

Thanks! I realize I'm not winning any awards anytime soon, but I've been pretty happy with the progress so far.

Cell phone pics of my long weekend project, Land Raider!

gallery_62416_6466_657450.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_433540.jpg

Crusader/Redeemer kit + magnets should be in sometime this week as well. I'm working on making it as interchangeable as possible.

Zee magnets only showed up this morning so I haven't set anything up. Doing the Lascannon sponsons seems pretty straight forward since I am keeping them as one piece, the crusdaer/redeemer options are where the "fun"* is going to start.

I am going to try and replicate this: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25556 for the c/r weapon sponsons and this

for the hatches. I'm not going to bother magnetizing the top hatches bolter/autocannon. I really don't think it's going to be too bad**.

We shall see.

* re: hair pulling nightmares

** lies

Archived