Commision: Talos, First Claw

maverike_prime

Imagine my surprise when I was contacted and asked about doing a commission. Well, surprise surprise it did happen. I've been selling some stuff on Ebay, and one of the folks who bought several items asked if I was available to do a Night Lord commission, speccifically the character Talos from Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver. Well, heres my work log for it. Feed back as always is welcome and encouraged.

http://mgc-projects.info/40k-unleashed/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/9-9-11-05-150x150.jpg

One of the defining moments in the Night Lords lore is when their primarch, Konrade Kruze also known as the Night Haunter, declared “We have never worn my fathers symbol [the Aquila] before, and now we never shall.” The character of Talos wears a torso chest plate with a desecrated Aquila on it. Whether this is intended as some measure of defiance to Haunter, a sign of contempt for the Imperium at large, or simply an act of necessity is never stated.

http://mgc-projects.info/40k-unleashed/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/9-9-11-02-150x150.jpg

The Night Lords as depicted in the books are perpetually under-equipped in virtually all ways. Talos’s own armor is decribed as a mis-match of several different suits of armor each part having been salvaged from defeated foes and fallen allies alike. To help illustrate this, I am building the legs from 3 different models. The shin and right foot is from a Space Marine mark VI armor, while the left leg is from a Chaos Marine model. The upper legs are from a mark VII Space Marine model. I will need to fill in the soft armor grills around the knees with green stuff when I reassemble the legs.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-9-11-04-sized.jpg

For the majority of Soul Hunter, Talos wields a bolter but toward the end of it he looses it and it granted the use of a Combi-bolter. For the Combi-bolter I took two belt feed bolters, shaved down one side of them, and joined them together. I used modeling putty to fill in details as needed. As an extra option, I’m building 2 right arms for the model, one armed with a standard bolter, and one with the combi-bolter. Using magnets in the shoulder, the client will be able to swap the arms as he chooses.

http://mgc-projects.info/40k-unleashed/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/9-9-11-06-150x150.jpg

The image on the covers of the books depict Talos with a studded Mark V shoulder pad which I think fits very well for the character. While I had several of the regular studded pads from the Space marine tactical sprue, I wanted something altogether rougher looking. I happened upon a tutorial on Bolter and Chainsword for converting a studded shoulder pad looks like it shows a lot of promise. I’ve already ordered a set of glass beads, now just have to wait for them to come in.

I've ordered the remainder of the parts I need for the project. Now I just have to wait till they come in to continue.

For the twin bolter, I suggest using a chaos terminator one. Sticking two normal bolters together doesn't make much sense, as then you have 2 different iron sights. You are also missing ejection ports on one side. A combi bolter is a 2 barreled weapon, not 2 1 barreled weapons stuck together.

Well, I guess the guy above me is right... but I'm not a fan of the huge stormbolters that are made from two bolters.

Try two bolt pistols instead.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/s...80/IMG_1468.jpg ;)

Don't forget to remove both the sight things, like the guy above me said...

Also, great way to take fluff into consideration! (I guess you have to, but you're doing a great job so far)

I've done other projects with a converted Storm/combi- bolter out of 2 Bolt Pistols. I will admit it does work. And I did consider it for this project. But when I did a test fitting, it seemed more bulky then then hefty. Also it looked more post heresy then pre. While there are certainly times where that particular look would be prefered, I didn't feel that this was such a time. For Talos it has been several decades since the assault on Terra, such are the tides of the warp.

As an aside, the micro-beads I ordered came in today. There's just one little hick up to them. I ordered Black, blue, Navy Blue, or clear (A redundancy order system. If 1 isn't available I'll take 2 if 2 isn't there, then I'll take 3). And what color do I get....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-10-11-06.jpg

Yup! PINK! I was going to contact the supplier and address this, but it doesn't really matter once the figure is primed and painted. But yeah, for the moment... Talos might be a bit a fruity.

For the twin bolter, I suggest using a chaos terminator one. Sticking two normal bolters together doesn't make much sense, as then you have 2 different iron sights. You are also missing ejection ports on one side. A combi bolter is a 2 barreled weapon, not 2 1 barreled weapons stuck together.

Actually isn't a Combi-bolter explicitly that? 2 bolters linked together to 1 trigger? I know the Storm is intended to be a different weapon, but my impression has always been a Combi-bolter is just that: 2 bolters put together for increased fire power.

Actually isn't a Combi-bolter explicitly that? 2 bolters linked together to 1 trigger? I know the Storm is intended to be a different weapon, but my impression has always been a Combi-bolter is just that: 2 bolters put together for increased fire power.

A combi-bolter is a bolter and another 'rifle' weapon put together, not two bolters put together.

A combi-bolter is a bolter and another 'rifle' weapon put together, not two bolters put together.

You are correct. I was thinking of Twin-linked bolters which is what they have in the CSM codex.

A combi-'weapon' is a bolter with another 'rifle' weapon put together.

A combi-bolter is indeed a bolter with another bolter put together. :)

TDA

What the frell? I post a work log about a Night Lords Commission and I get a conclave of Dark Apostle?! What's going on? Do the Word Bearers need some terror experts or something? Don't you guys have some souls to corrupt or non-believers to dispose of or something?

A combi-'weapon' is a bolter with another 'rifle' weapon put together.

A combi-bolter is indeed a bolter with another bolter put together. -_-

TDA

:) You are correct, of course ^_^

Oh and Maverick, you should know that the glory of Lorgar's word is inescapable :lol:

Ahh so thats the reason the Night Lords where so dark and brooding nobody understood there need for a little pink beading on there armour. :)

and on that note, here are the first test pieces I did with said pink beading. As you can see, it's a good thing I did test pieces first.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-10-11-05.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-10-11-04.jpg

need to work on spacing a little. I want it to look "recovered" not scratch built.

The pink! The pink! It's hideous! Oh, why?! Whyyy?! :) :lol:

Looking at the Forge World models, they appear to arranged in rows on the shoulder pads. Maybe you could draw a line with a thin marker and place dots where you want the beads?

What I'm going to try is taking a strip of plasticard, marking out where the beads will be on that, and then down line by line with it as a guide. I'm going to stagger the placements like this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/pattern.jpg

Looks promising. Any ideas what to use as Talos' Blood Angel sword?

I'm going to try using one of the swords from the Dark Elf Lord like this one:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/KGrHqQOKnUE49bQ0fwBOZUf3WqQ60_3copy.jpg

Going to try green stuffing in the holes toward the top of the blade, and the more razor-edged bottom to make it more Blood Angel-ly and then green stuff in a tear drop on the hilt. Thankfully, I'm getting 2 of 'em so if I screw up I can learn from the mistake.

NO NO NO to the chaos sword.

Talos Rocks a Blood Angels sword,Go to the Blood Angel Sprue for that bit.

For the should just copy the placement on the studded shoulder,or instead of making more work for yourself just use the standard studded shoulder.

Also Flagellent skulls on chains work great for decoration.

It's not a chaos sword, he said he's going to GS a blood angel teardrop onto the hilt and filling in the jagged edges should make it look less chaotic. He's explained he doesn't want the standard studded shoulder.

Another good place to go for skull decorations is the wyches/DE packs. They've got some nice hanging skulls that I've used.

I like this idea a lot and if there is anyone that should be able to do Talos some justice, I think it will be you, Maverick_Prime! Your Abaddon turned out great, so here's watching this thread!

:woot: at GrimDarkness! Well, everyone knows there is something that made each Legion go over to Chaos.

NO NO NO to the chaos sword.

Talos Rocks a Blood Angels sword,Go to the Blood Angel Sprue for that bit.

There is no sword on the Blood Angel Sprues that I feel works with the design of the character.

See reference image:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/blood-reaver_cover.jpg

For the should just copy the placement on the studded shoulder,or instead of making more work for yourself just use the standard studded shoulder.

Also Flagellent skulls on chains work great for decoration.

it's always nice to know that there's still people who think I don't know what I'm doing. And even better, the ones that don't read what I've already written and respond to their mis-understanding of what they think I am saying.

Made in my original post:

While I had several of the regular studded pads from the Space marine tactical sprue, I wanted something altogether rougher looking.

Compared with a regular marine. that hand and arm are pretty tiny and scrawny. You might need a lot of gs to fix that :woot:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/westarSWC/misc/IMG_2081.jpg

And now compare the length of the sword to the arm. I don't need the hand. Just the sword.

Archived