Commision: Talos, First Claw

maverike_prime

Will you try modeling the wings on the sword's hilt? That would look amazing I think.

I am going to try, yes. But my sculpting skills are not up to that sort of a challenge. I have some ideas though. I need to wait for the sword itself to look at sizing and such.

Don't worry, Mav. Some of us think this is fantastic.

Aye. I might want to read up on these guys, some mismatch armor sounds pretty awesome to model.

Great choice for the sword too, that is bad [not on the floor please]. Keep it up!

Both books (Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver) are REALLY Well written. Aaron Dembski-Bowden has managed to blow my mind three times now, first with "The First Heretic", second with "Soul Hunter" and the third time with "Blood Reaver". Even if you are devotedly anti-chaos, I recommend these books.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-9-11-04-sized.jpg

Yer combi-bolter, while good, ain't exactly true to the artwork. If you look here you'll find it has only one sight, laser-sight above the barrel, and that... thing below the barrels. The little sticky piece of metal jutting out. Yours has two of each. Also, Talos' doesn't have a ribbed grip.

Talos' weapon seems to be two bolters combined into one weapon, whereas yours seems to just be two stuck together.

Otherwise, it's looking good so far.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-9-11-04-sized.jpg

Yer combi-bolter, while good, ain't exactly true to the artwork. If you look here you'll find it has only one sight, laser-sight above the barrel, and that... thing below the barrels. The little sticky piece of metal jutting out. Yours has two of each. Also, Talos' doesn't have a ribbed grip.

Talos' weapon seems to be two bolters combined into one weapon, whereas yours seems to just be two stuck together.

Otherwise, it's looking good so far.

yeah there are several minor inconsistencies like that through out the books. So when I run into a conflict I go by what the book itself says. The biggest thing I have issue with, and this is more with 40k lore in general then with these books specifically, is how the combi-bolter is rendered. I've read them being described as simply 2 bolters affixed together or the added fire power and I've read of them being a new weapon intended to have the fire power of 2 bolters, but with out the disadvantages of sticking 2 bolters together. Given that Chaos Marines get Combi-bolters, well twin-linked bolters while Loyalists get Storm bolters I've always inferred that the Storm Bolter was an evolution of the Combi-bolter. The bolter shown in the cover work looks more like a Storm bolter, but the combi-bolter Talos recieves in the book is specifically stated as having been made prior to the Legions fall. So I'm figuring it's a Combi-bolter rather then a storm bolter.

So the rest of the bits I ordered came in the other day, now I'm just waiting on the base. I was working on the head, putting in a series of 4 studs around the helmet. I had just finished gluing the final bead into place when my parents great dane came up to my work bench, shoved his head under my arm, when sent the plastic head flying right for the dog to catch and swallow it in one clean motion and then look up at me with these "Hey you're supposed to showing me affection now" look.

I mean... seriously. What the :tu: ?! The dog, just ate Talos' head!

Did he eat your homework too? :huh:

back OT, I'm really keen to see how Talos turns out.

Cheers,

Jono

no, I keep all my homework on my computer. I'm just still in shock that he ate it. I mean... plastic, glass, super glue, little bit of miliput... I mean... is any of that stuff actually dangerous in those quantities?

As long as the glass wasn't cracked and all the miliput and glue was dry, you're probably fine, but keep an eye on the dog just in case. Dogs eat weirder things than that all the time, rocks, panty-hose, etc. I paint on a paint station set on a TV tray and I have to keep my critters from getting up there and scooping things off. I've had a cat swat a robed marine off the table and one of my retrievers bring it back to me in her mouth. The only thing I could think at the time was "One does NOT play fetch with a Space Marine!"

Sorry to hear you lost the head to the Great Dane though! I'm sure you have another that will do for a stand in somewhere. :huh:

As long as the glass wasn't cracked and all the miliput and glue was dry, you're probably fine, but keep an eye on the dog just in case. Dogs eat weirder things than that all the time, rocks, panty-hose, etc. I paint on a paint station set on a TV tray and I have to keep my critters from getting up there and scooping things off. I've had a cat swat a robed marine off the table and one of my retrievers bring it back to me in her mouth. The only thing I could think at the time was "One does NOT play fetch with a Space Marine!"

Sorry to hear you lost the head to the Great Dane though! I'm sure you have another that will do for a stand in somewhere. :huh:

Good point. I guess this is one time I have to be really thankful for not going uber-spikey chaosy. Can you just imagine going to vet and being asked what happened to the dog?

"He was infected by Chaos, I swear that is the answer and the truth!"

Don't worry, you'll get it back from him in about 20 hours... :lol:

um... no. Not going there.

Well hey..its for a commission..so its not like you'd be keeping the model. hahaha.

In any case, that kind of stinks..hopefully you'll be back on track soon enough!

Don't worry, you'll get it back from him in about 20 hours... :)

um... no. Not going there.

Well hey..its for a commission..so its not like you'd be keeping the model. hahaha.

In any case, that kind of stinks..hopefully you'll be back on track soon enough!

he's not paying me enough for that.

Pretty big update today.

First, I found the missing head. No, I am not posting a picture of it. No, I did not retrieve it. No, I am not using it. End of story.

I used another head and went to work on it. Also the Deck plating base I ordered from Dragon forge came in. I do so love his bases. They're so detailed, they really had a new level of life to the model. Anyway, I've more or less finished the commission. I'm just waiting for the Nightlord shoulder pads to come in. I'm rather annoyed that they haven't come in yet since I ordered them almost 3 weeks ago. I'll need to buzz Bitzbarn and find out what the deal is.

Anyway, here we go with the update:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-25-11-02.jpg

Nice wide shot of the mostly finished model. You can see the deck plating base I used for the model. In the book, Talos leads first claw on a raid into an imperial cruiser. Their mission is to destroy the command and control center crippling the ship making it easy prey. This is the first time we really get to see Talos and First claw in action and the one scene just really helps who Talos is and his reletion with First Claw and his slaves.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-25-11-03.jpg

Talos doesn't always carry his stolen Blood Angels sword and the scabbard on his back is mentioned in the book a couple times. It never really explained whether the scabbard was on his back, hanging off his shoulder, affixed to one side of his back pack or what. I spent about 3 days experimenting with myself (No jokes please.) I took a cheap plastic sword I bought at wal-mart and took a book bag that I built up to be more or less the same scale as the back pack on a space marine, and I just experimented with how I would handle a sword based on where the scabbard was.

Behind the back pack, while doable, was difficult and I tended to pull forward much more then up. So that just kind of brought images of Talos drawing his sword only to wake the guy behind in the face with the scabbard.

I tried between my back and the book bag in different positions. While having the scabbard angled upward and the opening being under my left arm had some merrit to it, it also raised the question of how exactly Talos kept the damn thing from falling out. The more traditional across the back wouldn't work because that would have been blocked by the connections to the back pack. Ultimately I settled on basically behind the shoulder as you see in the image.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/9-25-11-01.jpg

Initially my client asked for the model to based on the image of the cover of Blood Reaver,

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/blood-reaver_cover.jpg

and then was really gun hoe when I suggested basing the model on the scene in the book I mention. The problem was at the point in the book he boards the ship, Talos is using a bolter not a T.linked-bolter. So the client and I came to happy middle ground: Magnetize the shoulders of 2 arms. One holding a T.linked-bolter, one holding a normal bolter.

And there we have it. Once the shoulder pads come in I can finish it up and get it out to the client.

No, I'm not going to paint it. If the client wants it primed before I ship it I'll be happy to do that. But my painting skills aren't up to a level where I feel comfortable charging for their time.

The Micro-beads are 1mm glass microbeads. I got a 1oz container for $4 and... well you can see far that's going to go.

Archived