LilLoser's All Metal Deathwing

lilloser

BOOM! Bad boy colour;

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/P1010487.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I think that the shadows of the wings can be deepened a little more and the Lions face could use a little more definition, but on the whole very pleased. I just have to decide what to do with the back of the banner now. Right now, I think that I will paint more written scrawl.

I also completed a little freehand on the Librarian's book:

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/P1010489.jpg

The images have again been inspired by William Blake and is taken from the First Book of Urizen, plate 14 (click the link to read the 14th plate and see other disturbing images). I tried to re-create this image on the book:

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/wblake15.jpg

and decided to have a scrawl with flaming skulls on the first page. I'm very close to completing the Librarian, but I'm debating whether to a some magic-y something emanating from his right hand. It looks kind of empty at the moment and I may create something for it.

Any feedback would be great.

LilLoser

The free hand stuff is excellent on the Librarians book! The recreation of the image is spot on and soooo ahead of anything I could produce... Great stuff.

Btw, Book of Urizen? Really? You Word Bearer you...

EDIT: you are right about the Librarian's hand, it does look kind of empty... like begging for some blueish fireball in the making, you know like a few milliseconds before he actually throws it to the enemy!

@ CPt. Semper; cheers man. Having the right tools is

Half the battle with such tight detail work. Yeah man the book of urizen is the business. Has it been referenced with the word bearers? IF so could you point me to it please?

I have a perverted desire to model a can of fosters in his hand, but that would be utterly stupid. He couldn't drink it with his ventilator...

@ thantoes: thank you very much.

Urizen is what Lorgar, the Word Bearer's primarch, is referred to as, IIRC.

Lil, the art-work banners are awesome! Detailing is very cool and I really like how you borrowed from a "historical" source (in the 40K sense, as well as the name allusion already built into the game) for your Lib's banner. For his hand, I sort of envision a build up of hellfire, which I would base on the balefire flames engulfing the DE Mandrakes' hands, if my sculpting skills were up to snuff (and since yours are far better than mine, I think you could give it a go).

@ CPt. Semper; cheers man. Having the right tools is

Half the battle with such tight detail work. Yeah man the book of urizen is the business. Has it been referenced with the word bearers? IF so could you point me to it please?

I have a perverted desire to model a can of fosters in his hand, but that would be utterly stupid. He couldn't drink it with his ventilator...

Yes, what Bryan Blair said... If someone is well versed in 40k lore but not so well versed on William Blake one might think you are referring to the Book of Lorgar! Oh! the Heresy!!! hahaha

Awesome stuff man, keep inspiring us! :P

Such a cool alternative style, well done on the banners (including libbys' book) LL.

This army rocks.

s

Edit; Sorry mate, a bit of CnC though, you need to drill or paint the barrels on your dreads' Plasma weapon, its got a blocked up end in that pic :HQ:

This army rocks.

Aye, indeed it does. Great work on the banner – and also the Libby's book. I am liking your chosen source of designs very much. I'm sure Blake would be tickled pink at what he is inspiring here.

I'm just amazed by the level of talent you're displaying on these models lilloser! Really unique conversions, freehand, sculpting and painting. Just... wow :)

Is there anything else in the works?

Ludovic

Belial Grand Master of the Deathwing Order

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/P1010507.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/P1010513.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/P1010510.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/P1010508.jpg

Belial, the incumbent Grand Master of the Deathwing order. This model acts as the jewel in the crown of my Deathwing force and is atypical of the design principles I have used throughout the project.

Belial has been inspired by the classic artwork of Gabriel, the former grand master of the Deathwing Order (printed in the Angels of Darkness Codex). Whereas the Ultramarines have classic Roman and Greek influences, and the Blood Angels are paragons of Renaissance ideals, the Dark Angels have always had a Gothic sensibility to their aspect, inspired by medieval Europe.

For even more, full sized pictures of Belial, as well as analysis and thourough design notes please visit my blog here.

And of course, he gets his own Iphone contact:

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/BelialIphone.jpg

@Bryan: Cheers for the info! I'm a little unsure what to do with the hand at the moment, but I think it will be some OSL magickery.

@Cpt Semper. Thank you very much for the info and compliment.

@ Stobz: cheers man. I'll have to take that crit on the chin. Because of the speed I created the army, I concentrated on the terminators first and forgot to drill the holes. I'm loathe to take a power drill to my nicely painted and finished dreadnought now, but I know i'll have to do it one day. Cheers for the criticism though, always appreciate feedback.

@Isiah: Thanks man. I'm not sure what he'd make of it; I'd like to think he played with little lead soldiers as a child, so at least he'd have some conception of what I was doing to his work.

Edit: I just remembered; I always enjoyed picking up on the odd snippet and quote from some of the background material from 'ancient texts'. It tickled me that one of Blake's books had survived 40 thousand years into the future, revered as a mystical text of forgotten truths, then is carried into a warzone on top of a magical man tank.

In fact, lets make the book on top of the Librarian the book I own and draw inspiration from!

@ BBludovic: Oh god i'm always up to something. I've just completed an apocalypse formation of Eldar for a friend, and painted up (what I think is) a very nice Elrad Ulthran for his birthday.

LilLoser

The only criticism I can give on this work of art, is that the Storm Bolter looks a bit plain and "new" compared to the rest of the model (ie. it has no scrapings in it).

Apart from that, great conversion, great sculpting, great painting. All that sums up a gorgeous model that I would pay a lot to have (though I won't because I don't have ridiculous amounts of money and I'm sure you don't want to impart from such a model ;)).

Looking forward to more!

Ludovic

@ Battle Brother Ludovic: Cheers man. He doesn't get the chance to fire his bolter that often, thus the lack of wear and tear (did I get away with that?).

I don't think I could sell this guy. He's not been well received, but he is one of my favourite models. If you want to send me a PM to sort out a commission I'll build one all for yourself though.

LilLoser

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greyall. I shall.

Andrealphaus

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/LilLoser2011/deathwing%202/P1010568.jpg

Andrealphuas, translated from its Calabanite origins, means 'Transformation to the Crow'. This unusual name was awarded to the Librarian upon his ascension into the Deathwing in recognition of his unusual talent of transforming his enemy psyker's into bitter, black crows.

Andrealphuas earned his place amongst the first company during Abbaddons 13th Black Crusade on the lost world of Greygorn. The banner the Librarian wields is a remnant of the felled Titan Bastos.

So much work, so much effort; very rewarding outcome. I may have burnt the banner a little too much but it fits the theme. Lots more piccies here

LilLoser

Bloody brillant LL. Some might not "recieve" ths army as well as you'd like because they think that the style is not 'crisp enough, I personally think it's a fantastic alternative style that is sooo grimdark it's incredibly appealing. I'm loving the freehand on that banner, and it's burn't enough :D

You wouldn't get me being brave enough to paint in that style on a set of models ;)

s

Fantastic work. I find it amazing that you can create such variations for these fairly static models; great conversions topped off with a sweet paint job: awesome. As a guy who is also dusting off the old metal termies, I can honestly say you've inspired me.

This is a stunningly good army lilloser. I can't imagine why you say the Belial model hasn't been well received except that, to misquote the great Obelix, "some people are crazy". The John Blanche Gothic style makes the models so much more distinctive and gives the Dark Angels a unique look among space marine chapters.

But enough fawning adoration, where can I learn to paint chipped white armour like you do? I saw the tutorial you did for the librarian. Is it basically the same technique but with dark on light?

Archived