Alpha Legion...what to paint on right shoulder pad?

he_plays_guitar

So I have a large army of Alpha Legion marines painted and assembled, and I used the metal Alpha Legion shoulder pads for their left shoulder pad...but what to put on the right one? I used blank shoulder pads with no chaos star, and none of the heads have horns or spikes, and there are no mutations. I went for a very clean, very non-obviously chaos Alpha Legion. So do I paint the tactical symbol arrow on their right shoulder pad like loyalist marines? Should I make it look a little more chaosy but keep the tac symbol? Or do I leave it blank? I'm unsure what to do with the blank, smooth shoulder pads...they are screaming for some freehand.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I'd suggest using the loyalist stand-by of squad numbers painted over a large white arrow decal.

I'd agree with this, but add the coiled hydra symbol in it as if it was 'cut out'. So the arrow would be white and in the rectangular part of the symbol the hydra would be painted in the armor color. I think it would be a cool touch.

@ sideshowscott - I always thought that the Alpha Legion pads would work great for Salamanders, they look great!

I think I'll either go for scales or the tactical symbol...I made them look very non chaosy, just using the chaos armor and no demons, horns, or mutations, so I'd think they might still have their tactical symbols on their armor. Maybe I'll do both? I'll post up pics and you all can let me know which ones look best.

Ooh I like the idea of painting the squads something different...maybe use several different geometric shapes, or variations of the tactical arrow, on a scale background. That way I can have the scales, but still have squad markings. I like the idea of marking squads for tank hunting, close combat, suicide squads, support, etc. That way I can keep track, AND confuse the enemy :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

A good friend of mine has his Chosen painted up as Ultramarines (with a salvaged Ultra rhino), with the right shoulder pauldron painted with the Alpha Legion hydra head.

For normal guys? I'll fourth the scales.

Cheers,

Lawrence.

Archived