Iron Wolves (slow) blog

Ch@oZ

Hi everyone! I've decided to start a p&m blog about my take on the Egil Iron Wolf's Company. I'm currently building up fluff and preparing to paint what I've built up so far- 15 blood claws, 10 grey hunters, 2 wolf guard pack leaders, 7 termies and a Logan Grimnar conversion (almost all of those being WIP). Fluff-wise I've decided my army to be an off-shoot of Egil's company- an army that relies heavily on their iron priests to maintain ancient pieces of armour, as well as making use of scavenged equipment- essentially this means i will be using SW bits/ CSM bits in about a 2:1 ratio. As I'm currently slacking off at work I'll just show off my idea for a paint scheme- the main colour being a 2:1 mix of adeptus battlegrey to boltgun metal. This gives the armour a colour of a dark grey metallic, which looks very much like rough, unprocessed iron. I just thought I'd ask Your opinion before any serious painting starts :P

spacemarine.jpg

Personally I'm not sure of the use of the green on the chest eagle/shoulderpad, but other than that it looks great! Do a test mini, and if you like it keep it up!

Just be careful with the use of Chaos bits, there's a fair few 8-point stars and arrows to be filed off and whatnot.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Just be careful with the use of Chaos bits, there's a fair few 8-point stars and arrows to be filed off and whatnot.

I forgot to mention- I'm only using the bits that lack blatant chaos iconography- so a brass arrow is fine, a skull is even better, but a chaos star- not so much. Fluff wise- the Iron Priests would remove the chaos icons before setting the armour to use. Also- horned helmets will not be used- SW helmets are in fair abundance, seeing as I only ever put helmets of Grey Hunters and no one else :P

Personally I'm not sure of the use of the green on the chest eagle/shoulderpad

I'm not so sure about the green myself, either- only thing I found is that the grey makes the minis look very sombre and the flashy red seems to "break the mood"- therefore after considering red, purple and green I've settled for dark angels green at the moment, which is by no means final. The other reason for the green is the fact that the copper (GW beaten copper) will be touched up with a wash of watered-down thraka green ink to represent verdigris growing on the copper in this alloy.

Fair enough on the Chaos bits, I can understand that. Some of the helmets might still be usable though, if you just clip off the horns and file them down. Case in point is the visored Berzerker helmet many people use. Your choice of course ^_^

It'll be interesting to see how your verdigris turns out, I can understand the difficulties with a grey colour scheme. My Tau are grey and they look pretty boring haha. Red acts as a good contrast but you see a lot of armies using it, so green may be the better option for individuality.

Fair enough on the Chaos bits, I can understand that. Some of the helmets might still be usable though, if you just clip off the horns and file them down. Case in point is the visored Berzerker helmet many people use. Your choice of course :nuke:

It'll be interesting to see how your verdigris turns out, I can understand the difficulties with a grey colour scheme. My Tau are grey and they look pretty boring haha. Red acts as a good contrast but you see a lot of armies using it, so green may be the better option for individuality.

agreed grey must be work so it don't look like "Sprue Grey" one of my friend's tau has became a running gag because of that :P

Ok, finally time for some pictures, mostly just to let You know how the colours look together- mainly the iron-grey and beaten copper. The grey will be henceforth called Sombre Irony :) , btw. The verdigris green has not yet been applied, sorry about that. The first pic shows a mixture of blood claws, grey hunters and wolf guard- not a single one finished though.

gallery_63508_6492_5036.jpg

Wolf guard with power fist and combi- melta - also WIP

gallery_63508_6492_101743.jpg

Please excuse the nasty chip in his fist- already got it that way. Also most of the minis are rather hard to see, but i can't muster anything much better with the light at the time.

C&C welcome, as always.

The painting is looking promising, won't be able to tell much more without the better lighting though.

Hmm, the WG you have a close-up of...I don't know, right now he just says Chaos Marine with some wolfy bits to me. But then I'm not really sure how to fix that :)

Close-ups of some more would be good, keep it up! :tu:

Hmm, the WG you have a close-up of...I don't know, right now he just says Chaos Marine with some wolfy bits to me.

I didn't realise that- perhaps my love for this helmet variant has blinded me :tu:, but now that You mention it- You're right.

Fortunately the head isn't glued in place for now, so I'll replace it with the eyepatched head

http://www.mrocznyraj.pl/sklep/images/produkty/sw-wgt81.jpg

Also i just thought a mk VIII errant front collar would look fine on him (perhaps without the central indent)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/9/96/MkVIII_Errant.jpg/402px-MkVIII_Errant.jpg

which should be easy enough- just chopping the collar from behind and moving it to the front that is- after all- what's that collar actually for? Their necks are already protected from behind by a massive power pack, aren't they? B)

Also- the chain link on his belt will get a length of chain attached to it to produce a pocket chain with a wolf amulet chopped off a storm bolter on it.

Sounds like a plan :tu: with the bare-head and Mk VII armour, he should look more like a loyalist. You don't see many heretics with Errant armour after all.

...and I can't believe I never thought of turning the collar around like that, it's so simple! Let us know how it goes!

For me it's not so much the helmet that's the problem as the breastplate - those riveted arrows just scream "chaos"

You guys are going to talk me into a massive 40+ minis conversion project sooner or later, aren't You? :HQ:

Almost there, btw ;)

Just a quick micro-update- not exactly as i planned- the WG got a collar cut off from a spare back, as it was hard to get to his own collar to remove it- however i think it's worthy of note that the back of the torso, once the collar has been removed from it is still perfectly fine and would not look out of place on a mini, even without any modification. Here's the picture of the modified WG, as previously planned (2 steps out of 3 done)

gallery_63508_6492_223105.jpg

Is it less chaos-infused now? What do You think?

I am so excited about your combi-melta conversion that I can't type properly. I shall be making multiples of those

Just a quick hint- the melta tips I make are made from a q-tip rod, a paperclip and a lollipop stick :tu: once i sculpt some vents onto one of those, I will make a tutorial to show off this laughably cheap technique ;) Also- this exact bolter is the only one i had to "thicken"- the skull on top forces bits slightly downwards- on most bolters I've found You only have to move barrels around to get a good effect.

Time for a quick update again- this time with a rune priest, a long fangs leader and some wolf guard. Please bear in mind this is all pre-GS work ;) So first of all: the rune priest-

gallery_63508_6492_167389.jpg

The long fangs leader:

gallery_63508_6492_98517.jpg

Wolf Guard with chainfist and storm shield:

gallery_63508_6492_128167.jpg

Wolf Guard with a pair of wolf claws:

gallery_63508_6492_12614.jpg

And finally the beginnings of my Logan Grimnar:

gallery_63508_6492_180738.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_177344.jpg

As for Logan- he will be made slightly taller, so that he stands out among the wolf guard- the shin armour will be cut and made longer by about 1mm. Also the waist will be covered by a belt of Russ with chaos lord chains running from under it downwards, and the face on his right leg will be filed down and covered up by a wolf skull, much like on the chainfist- armed WG. He will be pointing forwards with his left hand, and resting the axe Morkai pretty much on the ground. The question here is this- he needs to stand on something- what should that be? I was thinking, that he could be made to look as if he's stomping a traitor marine into a tar pit, but i am not so sure anymore- what do You think?

C&C welcome, as always :D

Ok, so I've modified the combi-melta wolf guard to make him look less chaotic, adding a shield from the WG terminator set- here's what it looks like so far, and i don't like it as much as i thought i would:

gallery_63508_6492_5139.jpg

Top view:

gallery_63508_6492_21496.jpg

What do You guys think?

i like your conversions, but as mentioned by some of the guys posting before me, i think the chaos parts don't feel right.

the riveted arrows on breatsplates and legs just scream chaos imho.

but after all it's ypur army and if you like 'em they're fine...

keep up the good work! ;)

p.s.: i like the positioning of the last wolf guard, calm and menacing at the same time.

did kinda of what to say something snarky about your melta wg and his new shiny leash and dog tags...

Oh snap didn't realise that :o nice one ;)

Couldn't help it- the chain link on his belt just begged for it. On the other hand- maybe I should chain up mark of the wulfen dudes... hmmm... rabid chaos-armored space wolves chained up... this should be awesome :D Thanks for the idea :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody! Just a very minor update on my side- a pilot grey hunter mini.

gallery_63508_6492_38201.jpggallery_63508_6492_34757.jpg

I think the colour scheme looks suitably gothic and grim. I'll post better pics in the evening when i get my camera home. So what do You guys think so far?

gallery_63508_6492_221985.jpggallery_63508_6492_60494.jpg

Finally- the camera's here. Better pics up. Also- after applying one of the forge world transfers it turned out, that while most of them are printed in full colour the ones for egil iron wolf's company are... blank in the center. Instead of a silver wolf's head you get a blank wolf shape, which would be fine if only i hadn't prepared an undercoat of black under it giving me a black-on-black decal. Despite this minor setback, i think the scheme turned out pretty much as expected. What do you think? C&C welcome, as always.

• 2 years later...

Thread Necromancy ahoy! After an excessively long break I've had some spare green stuff mixed and lying around and made a little progress on my Logan Grimnar conversion. So here it is:

gallery_63508_6492_269128.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_324420.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_246833.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_57412.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_282009.jpg

So I've got a little question. I'm going for a Pedro Kantor like ammo belt feeding into his storm bolter. I've cut up some IG heavy bolter ammo belts into individual bullets and drilled holes through them. Those will be threaded onto the wire. So is the wire base for the ammo belt the right length or should i shorten it more?

Archived