Iron Wolves (slow) blog

Ch@oZ

• 2 weeks later...

I've built up the base for Logan and I think it turned out pretty nicely, so here it is:

gallery_63508_6492_245767.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_119237.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_180584.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_69200.jpg

There's still only half of a marine in this base, so I'm going to build some guts spilling from him, perhaps a slashed spine. The triple-dead (hole in the chest, hole through the head and cut in two) guy is holding two grenades, so those will receive some paint. After that the whole lower half will be covered in transparent resin. Any idea how to tint such resin? So far I've added inks to my test resin and it never tints it per se, it just floats there in blotches/smudges.

Time for a microscopic update again. Here's some further progress on the base. It's mostly finished now, the only thing left is applying a few drops of resin on the pool once dry, to level it a little more and remove the lip, and gluing the two parts together. So far I wasn't sure about all the angles at which his posture will be bent, hence i couldn't fill in the gaps- now that the base is done i can finally set the position of Logan in place and finally sculpt all the joints.

gallery_63508_6492_47207.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_87849.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_121729.jpg

Sorry about the double picture, but the first one didn't quite show all the details and the second is overexposed.

if you cut the tiny arrows off the armour it would solve the chaos look and look more ornamental

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. i've started doing something of the sort on some of the terminators- turning the pointed arrow into a riveted stripe. Or maybe I could just connect the points from opposite corners into a single stripe going diagonally across the rectangles on the shins? Hmmm...

Awesome :) I did something similar with my

tyberos the red wake lol but I'd say yours is better has more diversity. About the pointy bits if you file it back possibly make it look an outer trim I would keep the central line it adds a sense of age to the armour :)

wow that rusted base looks so real what are you using good sir?

Why, thank You very much. I've used 50/50 vallejo model air steel to boltgun metal as the steel, then used a sponge to dry stripple with vallejo model air rust, then strippled with vallejo game color orange fire with a bit of carmine red, clear red (by mistake) and a bigger bit of brass (I was hoping the tiny brass bits will be visible as a sort of natural highlight, alas to not much avail) mixed in.

The mesh was first based with rust, then drybrushed with the steel mixture, then strippled as above. Then, deciding it was slightly too brown i strippled it lightly with the steel and corrected the mistakes with a small brush, filling in the individual holes randomny with rust or orange. I picked out the bolts with gryphone sepia wash twice or thrice, painting streaks downwards form them, and then went over the nuts once with badab black (i think the mesh too). Also, the weld and bottom "shelf" got some sepia too, to represent the grease-like residue washing out of the connections and pooling there. I'd say i'm quite happy with it, but due to the indentations on the mesh being rather shallow it required more work on the top part than it should have. Oh and there's a satin varnish on top, too.

Awesome I did something similar with my
tyberos the red wake

Thank You. Could You direct me to pics of Your Tyberos? I was pretty sure I've seen something like this before, I just wasn't sure where it was.

About the pointy bits if you file it back possibly make it look an outer trim I would keep the central line it adds a sense of age to the armour

Yes, that's my current idea. I've left the central line on the back leg to mount a wolf skull on it, and got a bit of a eureka moment seeing the result.

I lied I thought I'd taken pictures but even on my old forum there aren't any so It wasn't from me you got the idea :) (I didn't have to reposition or cut anything didn't have the heart or bravery) but moving on can't wait to see some pics of the wolf head on the vambrace :)

Here's my old forum unfortunatly all the pictures have gone screwy ;/ all but my master of the forge ones bloody photobucket tohttp://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/262671-carcharodon-master-of-the-forge-and-contemptor/

edit: cool I may use your rust technique it does looks very real it's not OTT or under done :)

Oh and this is were I got the idea for mine which I didn't release till I clicked the link from Google was WIP on B&C lol http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shadow/P7310102.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I've made a little progress on the reversed land raider logan and his seven buddies will be riding. I've extended it's lentgth and built an assault ramp that looks like terminator can run through (and not crawl through like on the original). Here's pics:

Side view of the planned final size:

gallery_63508_6492_125717.jpg

Front assault ramp redux:

gallery_63508_6492_2959.jpg

Here's a size comparison:

gallery_63508_6492_67778.jpg

The rear extension part (which was a surprisingly massive pain to build btw):

gallery_63508_6492_177620.jpg

And the engine has been moved:

gallery_63508_6492_124645.jpg

So the question here is: what should I be putting in this empty space in the rear? I was thinking I could make it look like the exhausts that are there now could be the exhausts from one side of an engine and I could just build some pipes running from the other, hidden, side? Flat panels would just look, well, flat, so I'm very open to ideas right now.

You know it looks more in profile with the rest of the imperial tanks that way. I don't really have a good suggestion for fill the gap other than maybe extend the top and raise the engines a bit which isn't all that imaginative. But it is an awesome start and nice work on logan' base ;)

• 2 years later...

I've recently decided to build a Lukas conversion, changing his lightning claw for something more "looted off a chaos champion" looking. After much filing, filling, the introduction of glass beads for knuckles, coiling my own power cables and cutting cable plugs from hex rod this is the result:

gallery_63508_6492_97093.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_152628.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_40453.jpg

He's still missing a shoulder pad, as i can't find anything that would fit on there and look right.

I'm thinking of making one of those cable ties chaos terminator power fist all seem to have on the power cables, in the exact spot where the bundle of blue string is at the moment.

I've also purchased some wulfen and have been experimenting with some posing. The one below is meant to be leaping over the bent debris:

gallery_63508_6492_12868.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_151418.jpg

Also I've built a mock-up of a chaos lord i'll be making next: power fist + lightning claw, champion of the Apostles of Mercy. I think I've come up with a pretty cool backstory for them, but that is a story for another thread. I meant for it to look like he is absentmindedly digging through that massive slash in his abdomen, as if digging for lint in his belly button. He's getting one of the chaos terminator hog-faced helmets instead of the zombie head (that or a different zombie head will go on a cadian stored on the shoulder spikes).

gallery_63508_11921_44652.jpg

Archived