Marine Log

Shamu

I'm getting back into this hobby after many years out and was originally going to start with a commander but I figured I would get some tactical marines instead as it gives me more to play around with...

here is the colour scheme I am planning to use:

sm.php?b62c=@iaj2F_hXbsb.hyvFn@@@_@@@hguZV..__@@___@@@@@_@@____@@__@@@__@..___@@@__.@@@_.iakk7&grid=TRUE

I was originally going to have them with white but after seeing John Thompson's Storm Ghost Terminator tutorial I had to try that bone effect!!

I need some advice though...i want the sergeant to have a different helmet so he will stand out so I was thinking of very simply a red helm like so:

sm.php?b62c=@hXbsb_iaj2F.hyvFn___@@@@hguZV..@@__@@@_____@__@@@@__@@___@@_..@@@@@@@@.___@.iakk7&grid=TRUE

I kinda want there to be a stripe involved somewhere but I'm not sure what color to paint it. White looks good on a number of models I've seen but will it look weird next to the bone colored armor? I'm not so sure a bone colored stripe would look quite as good either? alternatively I'm thinking of maybe having the basic marines with red helmets then the sergeant with a bone colored one with a red stripe which I don't think would look so weird, thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

My minis finally came today! So I set about painting...I don't have a few of the paints I need to do a whole model yet but so far I have painted a grand total of one head!! Its taken me a while to do but I'm planning to take my time on these models so I will only do small parts each day so sorry if people actually follow this you will be waiting around for a while!!

Anyway, here is the head I have painted...I wanted to follow the streaky bone tutorial for the storm ghosts posted a while back and didn't really get that effect going but as this is the first thing I have painted for 10 years I'm quite pleased with the result!

gallery_63506_6524_219090.jpg

any comments on how to improve would be awesome! thanks!

Thanks for the comments guys!

I had some enamel paints that I had brought but wasn't sure if I should use them or not..but I'm poor so didn't wanna spend any more money on GW paints so tried using the enamel stuff I had and it seemed to work out pretty well I think...

I have painted a torso and legs now so slowly getting my first mini done! ;) The streaky bone effect seems to have come out better on these parts too which is a bonus

gallery_63506_6524_3155020.jpg

gallery_63506_6524_1454916.jpg

As I have painted the collar bit bone I reckon the a red helmet for the sergeant will stand out a bit more so I'm gonna try that. (also I'm quite pleased with this helmet so don't wanna ruin it by trying to paint a stripe down it!!)

My very slow progress should continue with the painting of the arms today!

Let me know what you think!!

Right, first marine is finished! need to base him but will wait till the whole squad is done i think...

also have painted the sergeant's helmet, waiting for some bits to arrive before I can finish him though grr..

anyway here are some pics

gallery_63506_6524_2634883.jpg

gallery_63506_6524_2449544.jpg

gallery_63506_6524_1496344.jpg

gallery_63506_6524_4285254.jpg

comments would be lurvarly

Archived