List building help for a fluf player

Iron Bars

Hello tactical forum brothers,

I'm more of a fluff player than a tactical genius. After reading IA 10 my eye fell on Vaylund Cal the special character for the Sons of Medusa. I've been building a model for him for in the display cabinet, but I'm getting that familliar itch to build him an army. And that where I'd like some advice from you guys.

Vaylund Cal is basicly a Master of the forge with servo harnes and a thunder hammer, he is t6 and has a 4++, chapter tactics is fearless and he allows one devestator squad to get FNP but it loses sweeping advance and can't run.

I don't want scouts in this force and the only unit I do want is a devestator squad.

Could someone give me some pointers towards a nice fluffy but tacticlly sounds army?

Firstly how big an army?

You can't go wrong with Tactical squads, especially as you don't want Scouts. Put a couple of 10 man units in Rhinos. As for equipment, there's a lot of debate about that at the moment. Either give them flamers to expand on their infantry killing potential, or maybe meltaguns to diversify their role a little, letting them hunt tanks. Or perhaps the plasma gun so they can do both. The tactically sound option for them is the one that suits you best, and fills in the gaps in your army. I will go against my usual advise though and say that for the Sergeants power fists may be best, especially as they are now Fearless.

As for your Devastator unit, I'd say do not build them to take on different targets. Give them a focusses role and stick with that. So if going against infantry then heavy bolters and plasma cannons. If going after tanks then missile launchers and maybe a lascannon. Stick them in cover and with their good armour, good cover save and FnP they'll be hard to shift, especially if you max them out to 10 men. Consider giving them a Razorback as well, it gets you another heavy weapon, and so you can use to expand their role or cover for their weaknesses, and later in the game another unit can use it if need be.

I'd also look to find a ret for your Techmarine character. Now you can't access Command squads or Honour Guard with him, so you'll have to settle for other choices. While you could just stick him with a small and cheap 5 man Tactical squad or 5 man Assault squad, consider one of the two Veteran squads. The Sternguard are brilliant at shooting, and his servo-harness will complement that, giving you a flamer and TL-plasma pistol up close alongside their special ammo. Or perhaps the Vanguard squad, where his high toughness, 4++ save and thunder hammer, plus servo arms can help him deal out damage. And he has some shooting for pre-assault. Either one is up to you, and thanks to his servo-harness you should be fine if your ride gets immobilized.

From here, I'd just take anything you like the look of. Just try to look at your army and ask yourself where you're week in areas. Lacking some AV14 firepower? Then look at MM Speeders or attack bikes, or maybe Vindicators. Lacking anti-infantry? Maybe Tactical Terminators, Typhoons or dakka preds are what you need. Look at each unit in the context of your army, and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Sorry I was in a bit of a hurry, I'm looking at about 1500 to 1750 worth in this army. The things you mention certainly help, as I'm not used to having fearless marines the question would be how does this effect the overall army, its nice that my tactical marines aren't running away, but how do I take advantige of this.

A couple of tactical squads will probably be the start. I was thinking of maxing out the dev squad and taking 2 lascannons and 2 multi melta's (boo, hiss), with a rhino, combatsquading the MM in the rhino and parking them midway up the board.

I'm more of a fluff player

welcome to the dark side brother :P

if hes a MoTf, have you thought about running dread heavy?, definately run tac marines as troops, darkguard is a good source of advice for those

Why thank you, although I represent only one aspect, the "don't take fists aspect" :P.

Funny though that I didn't think about running Dreads in the list considering the character is a MotF. ;)

I'm wondering how I could get the most out of the fearless aspect.

The best way to make use of it is to field units that can dish out damage. For Tactical squads this would be a combi-weapon that matches their special, and a power fist as you can't run away from combat. Combat units would also be a good choice as again you can't choose to run from combat. But really, Fearless means you aren't running and you aren't getting pinned, you'll hold objectives for longer and stay your ground. This could be bad or good, depending on the situation, and you'll want to make sure your force seamlessly remains within helping distance of one another.

The sons of medusa character costs sicarius + lightning claw, so a biker captain + command squad would leave me with little points to fill out anything else.

I have been thinking about using a command squad as counter assault unit, but it's just to many points (with a captain) to be worth it, I think.

First question... Are you doing Sons of Medusa? Or are you using this character as a counts as for an Iron Hands clan? Just curious.

In any case, for Iron Hands and their successors, Terminators, Dreads, and Techmarines are the name of the game, for the most part. Terminators should mostly be of the tactical variety and should not number over 10 suits if possible, and dreads should try to retain their DCCW as much as possible. Looks like you've got the techmarine aspect covered.

Other then that, you should have free reign to include what you want.

Archived