Fursty Ferret Imperial Fist 2nd Company

Fursty Ferret

Hi guys, had a few days off to work on an essay and have naturally spent it modelling. My original intention was a Black Templar army but I changed my mind after a couple of test models and turned my attention on a codex chapter. The Imperial Fists have always appealed to me, but I was worried about painting all that yellow, but in reality its not as hard as I though. Here is my test model.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/IFTest.jpg

I'm not really sure how to go about battle damage, and the amount was so I could see how easy it was to model and paint. There will be a lot of heresy armor used through out the army. I haven't painted the base yet as i'm still deciding on that. The yellow is a bit bolder irl.

I have also started on Captain based on Corteaz. I'm thinking the body is almost finished, although the legs are a bit plain, and it needs a bit of tidying up.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/CaptainWIP1.jpg

Originally I was going to have his left arm holding the top of a large shield, but it looks sort of odd, like he is posing for a picture, so I may have to 'borrow' Brother Chaplains Kage idea of resting on the sword. If I do this then he will be holding the somewhat large storm shield in the other arm. Here's a start I have made on the storm shield (next to the captain). I have removed the purity seals so I can make them hang correctly once i know how the shield will be held.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/CaptainWIP.jpg

Lastly I have started on the command squad and put together Company Champion. I just need to finish the shield so that the fist symbol looks part of the shield and not carelessly attached to it with superglue.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/ChampionWIP1.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/Catesy2021/ChampionWIP.jpg

C&C appreciated, always looking for ways to improve -_-

(Oh and sorry for the bad pics, a friend is sending me a photo-tent thingy, andIi will be getting a camera better then my phone)

Nice dirty yellow, suits them very well :D That company champion looks badass. I think the Captain, should have the shield in his right hand and his left hand resting on the pommel of a greatsword.

Keep up the brilliant work,

Vulkan

Hmm, that pose does look a bit familiar...

Now I see I probably could have cut the bird away from Coteaz and still used that arm. Damn, lol.

And AUGH! The FW Boarding Marine! So jealous!

*Edit* I like the new shield you gave him from Draigo, and it looked really good from the front-on pic, but from the side, that IF icon stands out so much that it somewhat detracts from the conversion. Maybe if you filed or sanded down the back of it some to make it thinner?

Thanks for the replies, I was surprised how the yellow came out for a first attempt.

Vulkan454: I'm going for the sword idea, I have some Grey Knight swords, and some from the Blood Angle angle dudes. Or do you mean from the Greatsword set as I may have some in my bits box. Thinking about it, it could work with a bit of work.

Brother Chaplain Kage: I did consider completely changing the left arm but I didn't fancy it, the chest area and legs have caused me enough stress. I know what you mean about the fist symbol, my next job is to make it look more natural, problem is the symbol pack comes so thick. Oh and I afraid to say the bird came off quite easily.

What do people think of the captains legs, they are very plain but it does go with the older armour variant.

The yellow and battle damage on the test model look very good to me. The company champion looks very nice so far and I think that the legs look fine just as they are. Have you considered using another photo etched brass icon on the shield if you have one? I think its thinner profile and flexibility would look better than the icon you currently have on it. Keep posting updates, I really like the Imperial Fist colors.

For some reason I hadn't thought about using the etched brass on the shields. Will have to play around with it. Just received an order from Forge world containing a lot of a lot of armour marks, so can start work on the first tactical squad, but not today as I have to work.

I did consider completely changing the left arm but I didn't fancy it, the chest area and legs have caused me enough stress. I know what you mean about the fist symbol, my next job is to make it look more natural, problem is the symbol pack comes so thick. Oh and I afraid to say the bird came off quite easily.

What do people think of the captains legs, they are very plain but it does go with the older armour variant.

So far I think your work looks good. For the fist symbol on the shield I think it would look interesting if you gap filled it so the circle was raised from the rest of the shield a bit. Might be a cheesy way of doing it, but I think it would look alright. For the captain's legs I'm kinda on the fence. The look a lot more boxy then normal marine legs. The problem I see though is that you can't just chop him at the waist because of all the detail you would lose. It might be though that I just see it that way because they are unpainted too.

Archived