Opaque Stormraven Canopy

Morollan

Not a fan of the painted canopies. Aside from laziness, I just don't understand the appeal.

if you dont glue the canopy into place just perfectly the plastic tends to fog up from glue vapor as well. Some of us like to have the spare pilot parts to fiddle with and convert something else later.

if you dont glue the canopy into place just perfectly the plastic tends to fog up from glue vapor as well. Some of us like to have the spare pilot parts to fiddle with and convert something else later.

You can always buy special glue that won't cause the canopy to fog: http://www.micromark.com/Watch-Crystal-Cem...Tubes,7468.html

Laziness? Painting the canopy is additional work, surely?

It's a lot easier to paint the canopy that it is to paint the pilot and all the fiddly bitz inside.

You can always buy special glue that won't cause the canopy to fog: http://www.micromark.com/Watch-Crystal-Cem...Tubes,7468.html

So your premise is that I should go out of my way to buy special glue for a single model? :wallbash:

I get what you're saying but I would still like to have my bits and bobs for building other tech mariney stuff. :lol:

It's a lot easier to paint the canopy that it is to paint the pilot and all the fiddly bitz inside.

Ah. I paint both, and blend the glass, so its usually a lot more work :-/

Why do you paint the marine in side if you can't see him?

If the canopy isnt glued in you could have both painted for more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah. I paint both, and blend the glass, so its usually a lot more work :-/

Why do you paint the marine in side if you can't see him?

Its on my falcons, the canopy can still be lifted up to expose the pilot. The blue canopy just looks better with my paintscheme.

If you don't want to fog your canopies your simply put it in place a use some bog standard PVA glue around the edges applied with a brush. I've done this on all three of my Stormravens and all six canopies are perfectly fine but then I've also fully painted the insides of the cockpit so it's essential for them to be completely clear.

You can also be lazy in a different way (it looks smoking),

That's awesome! I wonder if you painted a metallic colour behind the clear paint if you would get a reflective tainted windows effect.

Yep, very nice tutorial. Do it with a metallic gold tint for that realistic radiation-resistant look.

http://wiki.scramble.nl/images/thumb/f/fa/Have_Glass_cockpit_canopy.jpg/200px-Have_Glass_cockpit_canopy.jpg

You can also be lazy in a different way (it looks smoking),

That's awesome! I wonder if you painted a metallic colour behind the clear paint if you would get a reflective tainted windows effect.

Yep, very nice tutorial. Do it with a metallic gold tint for that realistic radiation-resistant look.

http://wiki.scramble.nl/images/thumb/f/fa/Have_Glass_cockpit_canopy.jpg/200px-Have_Glass_cockpit_canopy.jpg

You'll probably find that gold tint is actually the gold filament embedded between the layers of the canopy for ice and rain protection, a very expensive heater element to put it simply.

Archived