Another Chaplain v. Librarian Question

D-USA

I am currently working on my Raven Guard squad and I was wondering about which 2nd HQ option I want to take.

My current train of thoughts is to have Shrike with either a Jump Pack squad or a JP Vanguard squad and I am leaning towards attaching the 2nd HQ to this unit as well.

I know that a Librarian can be helpful with such gems as Null Zone, making the squad even more deadly, but I was not sure if psychic attacks could be used if the unit is utilizing the fleet rule instead of shooting. If the unit infiltrates and then uses fleet to get in range to assault, would the advantage of having psychic attacks be wasted?

It seems that if the usual tactic is to forgo shooting and instead run towards the enemy, the chaplain would be a better option.

Reading through other threads that talk about Chaplain v. Librarian it seems like it is usually a personal decision, but the Librarian seems to have a slight edge, so I was wondering if Shrike and Fleet makes a difference.

If you check out the Librarians powers in the codex, it'll tell you in what phase of the game he can use them.

I don't have the dex on hand atm, but you might find the powers you want to use are performed in the shooting phase. In which case he wouldn't be great for you if you're expecting the unit he's in to be using fleet most turns. ;)

A Chaplain is always a good bet in an assault squad, so you can't really go wrong with him. Re-rolls, and a decent statline, plus he's got a decent Invulnerable save so you can risk putting some AP3 or better attacks on him in order to save your marines.

i suppose it comes down to what opponents you reguarly play, if you face alot of invulnerable saves then a librarian with null zone could be cool, but given you are giving the unit fleet by taking shrike your potentially missing out on the shooting attacks..

id suggest the chappy too tbh, give him a cheapy powerfist and jump pack and hes still reasonably cheap.. but with JP and fleet, your almost gauranteed to get the charge and use his abilities, whilst a librarian can be hamstung by an opponents force hood

if you're going to run the chaplain with shrike and an assault squad, don't put a fist on the chaplain, put it on the assault squad sergeant.

tbh I4 (chaplain) isnt that great, if he isnt hitting first he might aswell be hitting hard.. shrike with his claws and 2 x fist would be an evil unit.. Or alternatively a set of lightening claws on the assault squad sergeant would be a very cool combo too

I was thinking about giving giving the Sgt a TH, mostly because I really like the special model from Forge World.

I was thinking about going with a version of Thade's Vanguard layout, with JPs of course. Seems like a Fleeting JP Vanguard (2 base attacks all the way across the unit) with Shrike and a Chappy and the resulting mix of weapons that Thade uses would either go big or sink a lot of points if it fails, but I think I might try it anyway.

So that would be something like this:

Shrike (pair of lightning claws)

Chappy (power weapon and maybe a power fist)

Sgt: Thunderhammer

Another Vet with a powerfist

Two storm shields and BPs to soak up damage

Two single lightning claws (or one guy with a pair since they might not shoot much anyway while using fleet)

One or two Bolt Pistol/Chainsword (or Bolt Pistol / power weapon) to round up the squad.

Null Zone, while being used in the shooting phase, isn't a psychic shooting attack and so can be used while fleeting. And remember he had two combat powers, Might of Ancients in particular is pretty good as it effectively gives him 3-4 relic blade attacks that do more damage against vehicles.

As for the Chaplain, I'd run him at 125pts with jump pack and digi weapons personally, but I can see merit for the fist. However, do remember that he can be picked out in combat.

With the squad, definitely have two single lightning claws. Bolt pistols do not come into this at all. Consider one pair of lightning claws. You get 2 attacks standard, 1 for two weapons, and 1 if you charge. So 3-4 attacks there. Now consider two single claws. Each gets 2 standard, and one if you charge. So now it's 4-6 attacks. Of course the flip side is that the attacks can drop to 2-3 quickly if you lose one guy, but then if you have a single claw dude you could drop to 0 in the same time span.

I'm not sure if you need the extra power fist, I'd personally throw in another lighting claw instead, although you do have Shrike. If you give the Chaplain a power fist then go with the lightning claw, if you don't then keep the power fist. For the last two guys stay with BP/chainsword, there's no point going BP/PW, you might as well give them claws. These are your bullet catchers, your SS are your plasma catchers. So you should have 4 damage dealers, and 4 catchers if you're doing it properly :D.

Also remember that Shrike lets them infiltrate, or better yet, Outflank. So if you Outflank you can get a 19-24" assault range from the table edge. Of course, if you infiltrate you can potentially get a first turn charge, but if it fails you'll get shot, a lot.

Have fun ;).

Another option for another character, if you don't mind IA characters, is Shadow Captain Korvydae (sp?) in IA8 I think. Makes Assault Marines troops and has a TH. And funny thing is, with his gear, he's 20 pts cheaper than a captain equipped the exact same. 155pts iirc.

But yeah, with a unit going to assault, go with a JP Digital weapon chappy. loads of fun.

Another option for another character, if you don't mind IA characters, is Shadow Captain Korvydae (sp?) in IA8 I think. Makes Assault Marines troops and has a TH. And funny thing is, with his gear, he's 20 pts cheaper than a captain equipped the exact same. 155pts iirc.

But yeah, with a unit going to assault, go with a JP Digital weapon chappy. loads of fun.

I think chappy it is, now I'm just trying to decide between PF, digital weapon, or maybe a Combi-Melta.

I do like the IA8 Shadow Captain. I ordered the model from FW to at least use as a Sgt for the Vanguard.

Go with the digital weapon. It's a better chance to score a power weapon wound at initiative, rather than possibly being singled out and getting killed before a PF gets to swing. Since you're planning on having a PF that can't be singled out accompany the chappy you're better off with the DW as the PF will most likely live to swing.

Go with the digital weapon. It's a better chance to score a power weapon wound at initiative, rather than possibly being singled out and getting killed before a PF gets to swing. Since you're planning on having a PF that can't be singled out accompany the chappy you're better off with the DW as the PF will most likely live to swing.

Or, I dunno, you could have both. Nothing hurts more than rolling a 1 to wound with a power fist.

Plus him, and any jump pack equipped squad he is with gets hit and run, like Khan, but with jump packs only.

Archived