To Robe, or not to Robe...

he_plays_guitar

My fellow Dark Angels enthusiasts! I would like to get your opinion. I have had a few different points of view on this, some for it and some against it, and I'd like to see what the good people on the Rock feel about it.

I am in the process of building a large Dark Angels force, and I have scrounged up enough robed bodies to make 4 full tactical squads of robed marines, and 2 veteran squads of robed veterans. So my question is this: Is it cheesy, corny, gaudy, etc. to have a whole army of robed Dark Angels?

My sergeants and characters all have banners to make them stand out, and my vets will each have personal heraldry and a studded left shoulder pad, along with a white beakie helmet to make them stand out. Only the vets and sergeants have white helmets or beakie helmets. The rest of the tactical marines will all have hoods to go along with the robes, and if no hood, then just a plain green helmet. So...is it too over the top to have an ALL robed army? I would like all your opinions please, good and bad. Thanks!

Well it sounds very interesting! And I thought I was overdoing it with three robed guys in each squad! I think that since you got the robed bodies go ahead and do it! There is no hard reason against it background wise and if you can do robes decently it'll be an awesome looking army!

BTW are you sure you want to go with DAs? I mean I can see a GotC force being maybe more appropriate if you are going for such a maxed out use of robes (being even more monkish than the rest of the Unforgiven). And it'll be a fairly unique army too. Of course you say bye-bye to the white-ish robes but I personally find red an easier color to paint - especially in this quantity!

In any case go ahead and do it, and don't forget to post pictures!

IMO; Robes are unique to the specific status of characters. The two Vet Sqds would be good to make them stand out as unique. On the Tac Sqds I would robe the Sqd Leaders but not the whole Sqd, they could be confused with your Vets.

The white helmets might need to be re-thought, white helmets are usually associated with Ultras, and have no historical/fluff with DA. It is your army though, so do as you see fit.

Or you could go ahead and have them all robed, which would look cool, and just have "rank" indicators on their robes themselves: no ornamentation if they are rank-and-file, 1 type of ornamentation (such as a single line) if they are vets, a line with thorns/triangles painted along it for higher ranks, the company designator painted in repeats in a band along the hem and split of the robe for the company master, etc. There are many ways to designate who is what if you want an all robed army.

Or you could go ahead and have them all robed, which would look cool, and just have "rank" indicators on their robes themselves: no ornamentation if they are rank-and-file, 1 type of ornamentation (such as a single line) if they are vets, a line with thorns/triangles painted along it for higher ranks, the company designator painted in repeats in a band along the hem and split of the robe for the company master, etc. There are many ways to designate who is what if you want an all robed army.

That is also an excellent idea! It all boils down to your painting skills obviously but that'll be awesome!

I think it might actually look quite cool, especially with those ornamentation ideas added on.

Up until 4th edition, I thought robes were only worn by members of the Deathwing fighting in power armour, but the current codex has lots of normal brothers wearing them, too, so one should think every Dark Angel brother is allowed to wear them and it boils down to something like personal choice or minor rewards, like for special piety or zeal.

In my force, I am having up to half of a squads brothers wear robes, but never all of them, not even in veteran or command squads. I do combine the robes with Black Templar tabards, though (I do play a DIY DA successor and use the cross as my chapter's symbol).

One thing that might be an issue is that with robed bodys only, there are only three actual poses, aren't there? So you'd really be creative in assembling them in order for them not to look too undynamic overall. If you could get a few of the old metal robed DA, that might help in that regard.

Anyway, I would really love to see pictures of that robed army!

Im with Isiah - Robes all over.

The only ones in my army who dont get robes are standard Ravenwing troops. All in Ravenwing Sergeant up are robed.

My fluff rationale is the furhter into the 41st millenium we go (as my army are meant to be from the latter days) the more clandestine, secretive and fanatic they become = more robes :(

I'm glad I've got some approval, I was hoping that it wasn't something too glitchy or cliche. I just think that it would be awesome to see them on the table where everyone has a robe. I'm going to start the assembly and painting process soon, I'll certainly post pics up to document the progress!

My robe delima was solved somewhat from the fluff:

We know what the codex says that the robe signifies rank within the chapter(although what rank we are not so sure).

We know also that a marine fresh from the scout corps makes a tour starting from the devastator,moving to the assault and finishes to the tactical squads.

So in my army i have only the tactical and veteran squads in robes.My vets in general(along with the command staff)either have robes/tabards and gold trim on their backpacks.

Devastators and assault squads been the 'newbs' are without robes.Plus try to wield a plasma cannon or make an assault jump with a robe...Just plain stupid IMHO.

Well that is the case for Codex chapters... But for BAs for example it is the opposite. For DAs there is no specific mention. So it is (again) up to you. Besides robes do not necessarily denote veterans. Check out p.59 of our current Codex and you'll find that the robes are mostly seen on Veterans (emphasis mine). Which means virtually everybody is eligible.

• 4 weeks later...
If you're trying to stick to the fluff, then no robes for all. Robes signify Inner Circle. Period. If you don't care about background fluff, and you just like the looks, then sure, go all robes.

And that's dead wrong. Period.

Unless you can quote another piece of fluff that supports your statement, I seriously suggest you read the little box regarding robes on p.59 of the current codex.

Quoting:'Dark angels sometimes wear long robes of bone white colour over their armor.This indicate the brothers rank,role or position within the convoluted structure of the chapter and therefore are mostly seen on company veterans,veteran sergeants and higher ranking officers.'

To be honest this thingie is a bit cryptic.That 'sometimes' word there muddies the waters.There is no mention of the inner circle per se but it is implied.

Most people though have the robes as an indication of knowledge of the same rather than veterenancy.

I'm a fan of open-chested robes on HQ units (Master, Librarian, Chaplain), and Veterans (Company Command Squad and Veterans Squads)... but I'm kind of torn on them being worn by the Veteran Sergeants. It's not a logical dilemma, I'll admit, since they hold every bit the experience the Veterans do... and neither (IMHO) are individuals who have necessarily actually joined the Deathwing/First Company.

I'm not fond of the closed robes, or of the hoods on the battlefield. I don't like the former because I like the detail on the breastplate of the body armour better than regular fabric. I don't like the latter because it doesn't make sense. Your helmet sensors are supposed to accurately reflect your natural field of vision (moreso than the limited field two eyepieces would allow you) and enhance your senses, period. Why would you want a hood that potentially cuts down on your peripheral vision every time your motions cause it to slip down?

I like the incorporation of subtle, color-based designs on the hem of the robes to indicate one's progression in the Chapter's Higher Mysteries and their rank within the Inner Circle. As such, I see Masters, Librarians, Chaplains, Deathwing, and the Master of the Forge having such designs, but Veterans (who, again, I don't believe have joined the Deathwing/First Company) having unadorned robes (like Zahariel at the beginning of "Fallen Angels").

Finally, and off-topic, I like to see my HQ and Veterans (including Veteran Sergeants) in power armour that is, for the most part, Mk VII but also incorporates stylized Mk II items (such as a more knightly helmet and vambraces/gauntlets) and heraldic devices/items that are reminiscent of the knightly look of the Master's illustration in the 4E Codex.

If you're trying to stick to the fluff, then no robes for all. Robes signify Inner Circle. Period. If you don't care about background fluff, and you just like the looks, then sure, go all robes.

Unless you can quote another piece of fluff that supports your statement, I seriously suggest you read the little box regarding robes on p.59 of the current codex.

Read between the lines, as the other stated, it's implied. Regardless of whether you agree with my assumption, it's a safe bet that not EVERY Dark Angel wears robes, so his idea is STILL not respecting of the lore.

I'm a fan of open-chested robes on HQ units (Master, Librarian, Chaplain), and Veterans (Company Command Squad and Veterans Squads)... but I'm kind of torn on them being worn by the Veteran Sergeants. It's not a logical dilemma, I'll admit, since they hold every bit the experience the Veterans do... and neither (IMHO) are individuals who have necessarily actually joined the Deathwing/First Company.

I'm not fond of the closed robes, or of the hoods on the battlefield. I don't like the former because I like the detail on the breastplate of the body armour better than regular fabric. I don't like the latter because it doesn't make sense. Your helmet sensors are supposed to accurately reflect your natural field of vision (moreso than the limited field two eyepieces would allow you) and enhance your senses, period. Why would you want a hood that potentially cuts down on your peripheral vision every time your motions cause it to slip down?

I think I can deduce how you feel about robes + jump pack then ;). This is something that, although visually interesting, it really doesn't make sense!

I like the incorporation of subtle, color-based designs on the hem of the robes to indicate one's progression in the Chapter's Higher Mysteries and their rank within the Inner Circle. As such, I see Masters, Librarians, Chaplains, Deathwing, and the Master of the Forge having such designs, but Veterans (who, again, I don't believe have joined the Deathwing/First Company) having unadorned robes (like Zahariel at the beginning of "Fallen Angels").

Makes perfect sense to me. Although I really would like to discuss your views on DW/1st Company relation, that would be highjacking the thread (dare I say "again?") :P. I'll PM you on that...

Anyway having adorned robes is a nice way to signify seniority and would also make for a nice model BUT it kind of clashes with austere theme that permiates the entire chapter. Matter of taste really.

Finally, and off-topic, I like to see my HQ and Veterans (including Veteran Sergeants) in power armour that is, for the most part, Mk VII but also incorporates stylized Mk II items (such as a more knightly helmet and vambraces/gauntlets) and heraldic devices/items that are reminiscent of the knightly look of the Master's illustration in the 4E Codex.

On the topic of heraldic devices there are some very nice artwork in the Visions of Heresy - especially Astelan's depiction by Sam Wood. It's jaw dropping. There are other DA depictions in there including marines fighting with robes AND hoods. You might not like it but these are some awesome & sinister marines :P .

Read between the lines, as the other stated, it's implied. Regardless of whether you agree with my assumption, it's a safe bet that not EVERY Dark Angel wears robes, so his idea is STILL not respecting of the lore.

Yeah, before I read between the lines how about you read the actual lines? Again p.59 current (4th ed.) Codex: Company Veterans, Veteran Sergeants AND higher ranking officers. That means that unless you're arguing that Vet Sergeants are members of the Inner Circle you realise robes are NOT exclusive to the Inner Circle. I don't know maybe you meant DW instead of Inner Circle. But although more plausible still is not supported by fluff. In fact with the words "most often seen" on the above categories it means (reading between the lines if you wish) that other marines are also seen in robes that do not fall in the above categories (i.e. Company Veterans, Veteran Sergeants and higher ranking officers). So we are talking simple troopers here. And to return to the original topic that means that since every marine is eligible you can have an entire 40k force in robes and be in line with fluff at the same time.

Just another point, GW itself is producing DAs sergeants & troopers in robes for ages:

Dark Angels Sergeant

Dark Angels Tactical Sergeant

Dark Angels Space Marine (no rank or special equipment - just a Marine)

Dark Angels Standard Bearer - the mini is the old Brother Bethor who was DW but hardly Inner Circle

So if you like in your army to have robes only for your Inner Circle guys fine. Presenting it as an undisputed fact of the lore is wrong: it's not and never was.

To add my support, I'd say go for as many robes as you can. If Ultramarines can bend the codex to make their Veterans wear silly insignia, we can make our Tactical squads wear robes.

Some of my marines even sport Tabards, though to be honest that's because it was the cheapest thing I could find. :P

Some of my marines even sport Tabards, though to be honest that's because it was the cheapest thing I could find. :P

I have that too,but we 'loaned' the style to the templars.

By the same token we should not have back banners,hanging censers,skulls,chains...etc.

Its an aesthetic thingie,after all you dont need the hood to be on during the battle.

Archived