Drop Pod Fear- Tactic

Brother Landrain

So, if you seen any of my recent posts, you know I am pushing a Mech-Fear list.

It has done amazing in most instances, there are a few weaknesses...

Fearless Enemies.

All-Mech Units.

With the fearless units, the psychic power is useless, but the Dread still is pretty good in CC and can lock up kill a lot of units.

All Mech, I need to demech them first. The rest of my list has pretty good transport killing, so does not concern me much.

What I am asking, is do you think it is worth it to give away a couple Kill points, for the possibility of being able to Drop in a Librarian Dread or two on first turn and potentiall walk some units off the board?

Determining if using the Dread for the drops definately depends upon mission and enemy, But if i take 3 Drop Pods, I can get two on first turn almost exactly where I need them to target weak Ld units.

the last Drop Pod, if I use 3, or only DP if i use just 1. would be used as a roadblock unit, if tactics dictate it.

My current Army maxxes out the FOC so, if I add DP's it brings my KP total up to 26.

Are 3 free KP's worth the tactical/strategic flexibility?

I vote yes.

Anything that messes with your opponents game plans is excellent. Anything that allows you to dictate the action and put him on the backfoot is great.

Thing is, with prevalence of melta, you cant always afford to get too close with pods- or its a blatant throw away. This is where wings comes in nice too. Its a really handy backup to have - even if your primary mode of transport is the pod. Wings/fear on a drop dread i think would be great for tactical versatility.

What I like is the fact that I can drop my dread always on turn one, pretty much exactly where i need to go.

With the 24" range of FoD even a full 12" scatter will keep me in range.

And while melta can hurt that close, and is a concern. I can still get a 5+ save vs it.

And if he focuses on the dread in his zone, he is ignoring the 3 Baals and 3 Vindicators bearing down.

I also like the idea of dropping empty pods, just to make vehicle road blocks, while no LOS blocking, they make the enemy destroy the Pod first, and then force a Difficult terrain check to move through. I find that forcing the enemy to move where I want him to makes it a lot easier. It actually adds almost an element of chess to the game, able to play 2 steps ahead :)

In the overall scheme, I think forfeiting 3 KP's will not matter much.

It seems in almost all tournaments, KP's is rarely used for Victory Conditions anymore.

{ I think this is because of the blatant inequity of KP's. I played a Draigo Wing that had 5 Kill Points, How do you ever win with KP's against that?}

And really this list is for trying to be competitive, its not a fun and free list...

2 Libby

3 Libby Dread

4 RAS in RB

2 RAS in Rhino

3 Baal

3 Vindi

Being able to make the enemy run away over and over really can take their fun out of it.

Archived