Special characters, common terms, etc.

Brother Captain Snake

Greetings to all, first post so go easy. I have played BA (about 10 years ago) and am currently building my own chapter of Vanilla marines. Things have changed since I last played so I have a few newbie questions. First off; what does the term "meta" mean? Second, do people tend to use special characters all the time to gain an edge? I just don't like the idea of Vulkan supporting every battle the Salamanders fight in. Of course I think the concept of a generic Vulkan that can fight in any SM army even worse. What is special about that? I think special characters should only be allowed at certain point level games and only with the army they belong to. Anyway, I would like your opinions and comments. As for my background I had DE and BA about 10 years ago then life got in the way of my gaming (along with 2 deployments to Afghanistan). I currently have my vanilla marines chapter (still working on the fluff/not even sure of name yet) a good bit of IG, and four boxes of GK (just because they looked cool).

Welcome Brother Captain Snake.

Meta is the concept of what the local environment is like for gaming. What works in an area filled with mostly marine players may not work if you live somewhere where you constantly face Dark Eldar or IG.

The 40k rules seem to push people towards taking Special characters now, which I don't like but that's the way it is. Vulkan shows up in lots of engagements, and I've played a game where both players took Astorath the Grim.

I always picked my characters per fluff and just to add to the collection (Who doesn't?). I thourghly enjoy running vanilla IC's for the fun of taking a smaller character without the hype and doing some damage. This of course is me and my style of play. Telion never leaves my list because I love the character and the fluff, I have a captain I designed for my battle company who is just standard name (per the codex and B&C company listing).

It is all up to you and your local gaming group/area. It could always be fun to take a weekend out and travel to a different city for gaming to get a different mix as well.

Archived