Librarian/HQ transport questions

roooooot

So I had a bit of a reading comprehension failure and was all stoked to pick up my Sternguard and Terminator armour clad Librarian who were gonna zip around the battle field in the fancy "command-squad" Razorback I was painting up. You can see the failure in that thought pretty fast. The Razorback can obviously find other uses quickly with my current army or I can do the "counts-as" rule and declare he's not clad in the armour and keep that HQ squad with the Razorback until I have acquired a better transport option. That almost seems like the question answers itself, but here's what am I actually asking...

Keeping him in the armour I also have a Drop Pod model I randomly picked up (comic store had one on sale, plus I think they are conceptually awesome) with no specific use in mind that I can drop them in a fiery blaze onto the table OR are the risks of GoI worth the fun of just zapping in somewhere. Both have their scatter issues, but what's a battlefield without some unpredictability? Or there's the third option of keeping them back field on foot.

Second part of the question. In the future looking at a more reliable method of transport is it worth re-evaluating the retinue with him to justify slapping him into a Land Raider. I have a weird fondness for the concept of a Librarian with Sternguard, but is that a wastefully small amount of models in a Land Raider? Would packing him into a Tactical Terminator squad make more sense and moving the Sternguard to their own independent unit? Either way I am eventually grabbing a Land Raider to tear up the battlefield, just want to optimize it's use (until I can have two!).

BONUS NEW GUY QUESTIONS

===================

- Land Raider conversion/magnetizing: Is a multi-use Land Raider as simple as buying the Landraider Kit + the Crusader Bitz kit (obviously ignoring the process of magnetizing them, but in terms of just the raw pieces). So I can have the option of outfitting Land Raiders in a multitude of situations.

- Transport capacity/Multi Unit Transportation: I may be mis-reading the rules, or not interpreting them right. But can a transport can two separate combat squads? Say, a Land Raider has a 5-man Terminator Squad + 5-man Sternguard Squad. The rules on Dedicated Transports say that it can only deploy with the squad it was selected with but than can after the game it begins it can carry anything. To me that reads to just fill the damn thing up until it's full once it's on the table, amiwrong?

Well the drop pod is a neat idea if you want to land him in the minst of things on the battlefield and hope he doesn't scatter. If you have the one droppod though it has to arrive first turn per the drop pod assault rules in the codex. The drop pod can be used to be a light artillery piece too (death wind missles or storm bolter), the librarian in sternguard is a neat concept, just understand if you keep him in the unit they cannot use the sweeping advance (if I am not mistaken because you have to move at the slowest unit). Now you can keep him with the unit in a bigger vehicle (land raider or something to your liking and have them bunch out).

You can also split the unit and IC in different transports. sternguard in a rhino(if you have 10), or smaller units in razors and have the librarian arrive with terminators via deepstrike and then break him from the terminators and add him to the stern. It's all up to you and your flavor of play. My sternguard only ride in a drop pod ususally. Get them in the fight, cause havok and distractions while my army flanks and moves in. I never ran a terminator librarian, but my terminator captain I ran always DS with my terminators via scouts teleport homing beacon so they didn't scatter.

BONUS NEW GUY QUESTIONS

===================

- Land Raider conversion/magnetizing: Is a multi-use Land Raider as simple as buying the Landraider Kit + the Crusader Bitz kit (obviously ignoring the process of magnetizing them, but in terms of just the raw pieces). So I can have the option of outfitting Land Raiders in a multitude of situations.

- Transport capacity/Multi Unit Transportation: I may be mis-reading the rules, or not interpreting them right. But can a transport can two separate combat squads? Say, a Land Raider has a 5-man Terminator Squad + 5-man Sternguard Squad. The rules on Dedicated Transports say that it can only deploy with the squad it was selected with but than can after the game it begins it can carry anything. To me that reads to just fill the damn thing up until it's full once it's on the table, amiwrong?

1- Yes, believe you should be able to magnetize the entire door assembly to be removed/added as needed. Also, the heavy bolter and Assault canons will be interchangable as well. They are actually interchangable with razorback turrets too.

2- No. Only one unit can ride a transport at any time. Independent characters can be added, but only one unit. The dedicated transport rule only refers to who can start in the transport. If you buy a Land Raider as a dedicated transport, only that squad may start the game inside. On your first turn, someone else could join in, but they can't start inside and you can't ever have more than one unit in there.

-Myst

Archived