Enter the Minotaurs - A Minotaurs WIP Blog

Asterion Moloc

It has been some time since I have had a full army of any sorts and this year I really wanted to change that. The release of the Badab War books provided a lot of inspiration and while I initially went for Astral Claws, I quickly shifted my allegiance to the Minotaurs. I got off to a really good start (by my standards) converting a whole bunch of MK 8 tactical squads but lost momentum over summer as I found out Forge World were to release their own kits. This autumn I intend to take the project off slow burn and have something to show for in 2011. I am hoping that by sharing my work here on B&C I can keep motivated by fellow gamers/converters/painters :D

I do intend for all my power armoured figures to have Errant armour, so what remains to be painted is quite limited outside of vehicles and non-power arour infantry. As a result, the first phase of this project will be my Terminator Squad and HQ choice.

Thanks for looking, I look forward to sharing more of the project. C&C always appreciated.

First 1000pts

Librarian Lycurgon "Law Giver"

Terminator Squad "Gerousias"

Contemptor Dreadnought "Ajax"

Contemptor Dreadnought "Theokoles"

Tactical Squad "Araios"

Tactical Squad "Dorusas"

Tactical Squad "Makaris"

Vanguard Veteran Squad "Menoetius"

Since the project is progressing nicely, I will edit this page accordingly with direct links to finished units. Hopefully this will make life easier for people tracking the project :wub:

Thanks for the comments,mix bag of painting today. On the one hand I have managed to get 4 of the seven painted to a near finished stage, however I encountered a few colour problems. The metals were pretty much the same with my power armoured guys from the start of the year, I just need to add the verdigris later on.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/DiStudios/IMG_1063.jpg

I experimented with the reds to be used on shoulder and gloves but what I chose were a little too bright, when compared to art work. I will be trying a more crimson/maroon to better match the rest of the figure.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/DiStudios/IMG_1065.jpg

The shields gave me a lot of problems initially as I tried a copper with bronze trim..it did not go to well. In the end I went for gun metal trim with bronze main and it seems to look ok.

There is too much light in the photos to show the different shades in the metallics so I will try and get some better photos up during the day time. Non the less I am happy with the days paining as it has been some years since I have been able to sit down and churn out 5 figures let alone 1! I will be doing the thunder hammers (and lightning claws) in blues, to represent power weapon glows, I hope this will break up the mass of metallics.

C&C always appreciated.

Man that gold/bronze is amazing. Whats the recipe if you don't mind?

I use Vallejo Model Colour, the recipe is as follows:

Bronze (two layers)

2 x Devlan Wash

1 x Badab Black wash in deep recesses

Highlight Bronze > Highlight Old Gold > Final highlight Chainmail

Thanks for all the encouragement, after reading these comments I have brought out 1 of my old Tactical squads that was w.i.p, I intend to work on them straight after the Terminators. They are a kit bash I originally shelved since finding out Forge World were working on their own MK8's I think the photo shows the depth of bronze better than the Terminator photo.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/DiStudios/IMG_0812.jpg

In regards to the red I am now using VMC Red - 70926 as it is quite dark as the base. I will see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the support and advice so far, its appreciated.

Excellent, another Badab War log!

Love the work you've done so far man. Are you planning to use Vallejo Verdigris Glaze for the, erm.. verdigris? Or something else? I've seen some great effects done with Vallejo Verdigris, I'm sure they'll work great with your Minotaurs as well.

Looking forward to see more, I'll keep an eye on this thread!

love these, its nice to see gold minatures rather than silver oncein a while, and what a nice gold it is too.

the terminators have such strong poses and dont look static, which i find can be a problem sometimes, such a strong pose is needed for termiantors i think and you have pulled it off very well, kudos to you.

cant wait to see more

Jim

amazing work with these, been tempted by the minotaurs from reading the badab war books

just that getting decent "gold" models is a pain in the a****

you seem to have got the balance just right!

would you say that the gold needed 3 highlight layers after the washes and any chance of a step by step??

once again great work

• 2 weeks later...
amazing work with these, been tempted by the minotaurs from reading the badab war books

just that getting decent "gold" models is a pain in the a****

you seem to have got the balance just right!

would you say that the gold needed 3 highlight layers after the washes and any chance of a step by step??

once again great work

3 Highlights are required to prevent the gold/bronze looking to flat. Actually its quite amusing as the Terminators transition did not go as well as planned because I rushed the first stage highlight. This is most noticeable when you compare the terminators to the tactical marines, I will post a step by step method this weekend as I intend to do a batch of painting ^_^

Archived