Enter the Minotaurs - A Minotaurs WIP Blog

Asterion Moloc

I''m more a fan of the second 'mohawk' crest than the other though.

Thanks for the comments :mellow:

The 'mohawk' style is the one that will feature more, I am leaving the fan tail type for officers and higher ranks. I was very tempted to add a whole bunch of fan tales to my Terminators but relented at the end. I think I might just save it for the Honour Guard I am planning for Molloc. They will be in Terminator armour and I can only hope that the 6th Ed C:SM book allows the option for such a unit...If not, I will use them as something else. Either way I think it will look good :)

@Nighthunters - currently sitting here waiting for the post twiddling my thumbs haha I am very keen to get the third build and crested up. As always, will probably be some time until they are fully painted, but I am hoping the wait if worthwhile. I am thinking about having a two talons worth in the long run (6) all magnetised and converted (I have parts en-route for more Greconisation).

@Brother-Captain Sharp - Glad you are enjoying the thread!

@lokkorex - I am a lot happier now I have added the blood, I don't think I have done too much, just enough to make them stand out and to also put out the aggressive melee ideals that the Minotaurs are renowned for. I still have plenty of marines armed with combat knives (been playing too much Space Marine on the Xbox) and I am now intending for all of them to have blood effects.

Tactical squad 2 is pretty much complete with only bolt guns and eyes left to do, as a result i decided to add the first stages of bronze to my terminator unit. I have been really looking forward to adding paint to this miniatures for some time and they now actually feature in one of my gaming lists, so they will get table time.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2X5BeA9UfLs/T3SZrvSUl3I/AAAAAAAABO8/0jJB9iGohxo/s1600/IMG_1613.JPG

As an estimate the squad will be finished by end of next week.

I also finished building up my replacement Librarian in Terminator armour. I have had a few issues getting the look I want, with initial figures looking too bland or too much like they belong to other factions. I think I have finally hit a balance of interesting and thematically Greco. I still have to bulk up the tabard and aim to work on the sculpt tomorrow.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wE4dS1WlcTE/T3SbiXUTZ6I/AAAAAAAABPE/wc1VhXPloaM/s1600/IMG_1615.JPG

Once these figures are complete, I will be just two dreadnoughts short of having my first 1000pts fully painted. I am really looking forward to this as it has been some 15 years since I have had an army/force fully painted that actually belongs to me.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

DiStudios

Man that gold/bronze is amazing. Whats the recipe if you don't mind?

Thanks for all the encouragement, after reading these comments I have brought out 1 of my old Tactical squads that was w.i.p, I intend to work on them straight after the Terminators. They are a kit bash I originally shelved since finding out Forge World were working on their own MK8's I think the photo shows the depth of bronze better than the Terminator photo.

How do you know FW are doing an MK8?

The Librarian just looks awesome. Really liking the cyclone missile effects as well. Every time I see your effects, it reminds me I should add them to my own guys! Great looking stuff and keep it up!

How do you know FW are doing an MK8?

Open day last year, one of the design team members stated that MK8 tactical and assault armour were in the pipeline in order to finish their armour variant range which makes sense. However according to yesterdays open day - that entire idea has now been dropped :( Apparently the team now consider that there would not be enough interest in MK 8 to justify working on a kit. A bit odd as the Minotaurs will be featuring in a number of IA books in the future and that chapter has extensive lines of MK8 according to fluff.

However the decision to not make MK 8 could be based on the fact that Asterion Molloc's head, shoulders, torso and apparently back pack came from a Minotaurs upgrade kit, which they would like to release. SO basically it is now a case of MK 8 VS Gerald Butler ab armour..(info from Bols/Warseer respectively)

Of course it could just be a smoke screen and they just end up releasing it, I am taking FW news with a lot more salt since a certain someone at FW told me "No we have no intentions of making Asterion Molloc" :P

Thanks to everyone for the supportive comments - feels the love- I had my first game this weekend past with the Mnotaurs, result: Win!

Asterion Molloc & Ivanus Enkomi arrived on Sat also, I am just finishing the Terminator squad before I move onto the characters, I am now looking at making a Vanguard squad to go with Ivanus :P

It is a shame about the MK8 but again might just be a smoke screen :devil: Question is whether I can afford to wait on something that may not arrive? I do want to stick to the MK8 for the my troops and leave relic armour for the Elites and Characters as I love the look of MK8.

Currently debating what to do with Chaplain Ivanus Enkomi, he is a lovely model but I want to the option to field him with a jump pack (will be using magnets naturally). While this sounds simple enough, there is one major problem: The helmet crest extends back to far not allowing the jump pack to attach flush...Upon closer inspection, the back pack he comes with has the top area modified to allow for the crest, so my current dilemma is what jump pack to use for him.

I don't want to go the route of hacking off the back pack on his cloak as I get images of the Incredibles and his cape getting sucked in a turbine or set on fire : /

I am thinking perhaps using the Sanguinary jump pack minus the wings, what do people think of this?

p.s. I have also discovered Asterion has a huge miscast on his right leg *sigh* very demotivating.

New units to join my Minotaurs painting queue, a Thunderfire Cannon and my revamped versions of the Vanguard Veterans. Still a lot of things to do on the Vets such as sculpting details etc but I am happy with the progress made over the last two days.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0kvJyFrM4dE/T4W6uHQPXrI/AAAAAAAABSM/kba8C47it6w/s1600/IMG_1662.JPG

Jump packs should arrive by end of week and I will finally be able to settle the choice of Sanguinary jump packs vs regular jump packs.

Thanks for looking,

Vanguard veterans are progressing nicely, they will be added to my 'Foot Slog League 1500 list and are another unit to tick off my Battle for Shaprias list. Spent most of the weekend drilling and glueing small ball bearings into the armour as well as adding lots of little details to make them look more elaborate. There is still some sculpting to do, primarily Minotaurs symbols but also some minor armour repairs from the converting.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PxCdy9Mn_JU/T4tDQUmy5gI/AAAAAAAABUE/Yh1553h6USk/s1600/IMG_1669.JPG

Despite previous convictions, I started work on Ivanus Enkomi, I did not use the base bit as it makes him look skywards which i don't like, and am still having problems with the jump pack. I have tried a number of MK's and none of them fit due to the head dress. I still don't want to cut the cape up and add a jump pack as it looks silly, but I do have a idea which gives him something like a cape, but without the ability to turn into a fireball when ever he fires thrusters...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-U2xEEKZ020g/T4tDVlyEqiI/AAAAAAAABUM/eDlJA9VQXw4/s1600/IMG_1670.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I managed to get further than anticipated last night, I got a large part of the display base completed ahead of schedule. The veterans are also at the closing stages of converting/building with just a couple of green stuff icons to be added (currently curing in moulds). With this in mind I can confidently say undercoating and first coat of bronze tonight. If I keep up this pace, the goal of Friday looks achievable.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JUYeE1sRISM/T4w_LM6VibI/AAAAAAAABUg/pXdQiK-HJuM/s1600/IMG_1675.JPG

The shoulder pads will be added last as those bits are probably the easiest to complete for this project. I am very happy with the overall look the marines, like their tactical brethren, the larger shoulder pads and MK8 torsos make the squads look suitable brutal, as should be the case for the Minotaurs.

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Chris

Well, looks like everything's still spectacular in here. You made a good call with the chaplain's base, he looks much better staring down upon his enemies. Those vanguard look awesome too. The sergeant in particular is cool as all get out - I like a good headlong charge as much as the next guy but you don't see too many jump pack dudes posed in a way that emphasizes their weight and power like that. Looks very cool indeed.

I think sometimes the kit bashing overtakes logic. Some of the stuff I build makes me think 'how the heck am I going to paint that?!' hehe

Bronze armour is now complete with just the weapons and fine details to be done. I am happy with the weathering on the veteran stripe and will be applying similar detail to the armour once everything else is complete.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WyWdPCAsSCk/T5FzZrCTXxI/AAAAAAAABVA/GbxdJ55hmA4/s1600/IMG_1687.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Excellent work. I am very much enjoying this blog, despite the fact that the Minotaurs are borderline heretics due to their negligence in following conventional codex battleplans.

Love the greco stuff. I'm considering getting some of those Scibor shields for my 5th company ultramarines. Just turn them upside down and the Lamda becomes a V.

hey dude, your mino's are looking good, bit confused as to the issues you're having with enkomi though as a vanguard vet backpack fits on him with 0 conversion work.. (done it myself)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/enkomi.jpg

@ Lorenzen - I tried the way you have shown before and I didn't like the way the head sat at all.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/DiStudios/IMG_1688-1.jpg

The head is sat fully in the torso of the body and angled to the side.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/DiStudios/IMG_1689.jpg

The crest extends further back than normal, you can see the difference if you look at the pack and cape that comes with him, the pack actually gives more space for the extended crest. I have tried three different packs and non fitted to my liking.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/DiStudios/IMG_1690.jpg

As a result there is a gap of about 3-4mm between pack and back of torso.

@ Mitnal - The missile is also from Armorcast, you get 4 per pack if I recall.

I have recovered fully from my spending spree at Salute and have some painting updates of the Vanguard Veterans paint job to share, thanks for the continued interest.

Chris

Archived