new book

Nemisor

I have spoken to James Swallow about that book. He has been planning it for some time. It is indeed a heresy book, and will be about Signus Prime, the Red Thirst, and will feature the creation of the Red Angel. James has been gearing up for this book for a long long time from what I can see.

I know James Swallow doesn't have a great track record with the BA's, but the guy can write good stuff. Just look at Flight of the Eisenstein, and even Nemesis wasn't bad. On the whole I do agree though, I would love to see someone like ADB or Graham Mcneill tackle the BA's, but James pretty much ring fenced them. I'm kind of against that, I would like a fresh set of eyes on the legions, as it is a 30k setting rather than a 40k one, so, like the Space Wolves, its a great opportunity to reinvent them and show them in a different light. Dan Abnett will be doing Ultramarines, and ADB the World Eaters, so those will definitely be interesting.

The book is named "Fear to thread" because of the phase "Where angels fear to thread..."

And we are the Blood Angels, so yeah. It was a pretty clever title. Now I just hope that the book lives up to its potential.

I getthat Im just skeptical of what that means for the plot of the book and where he is going to take it. Is this going to play up Signus as the cause of all our porblems? Will someone have done something stupid that got us cursed? who knows but Im not terribly excited :D which is a shame because I want to be.

The book is named "Fear to thread" because of the phase "Where angels fear to thread..."

And we are the Blood Angels, so yeah. It was a pretty clever title. Now I just hope that the book lives up to its potential.

I getthat Im just skeptical of what that means for the plot of the book and where he is going to take it. Is this going to play up Signus as the cause of all our porblems? Will someone have done something stupid that got us cursed? who knows but Im not terribly excited :( which is a shame because I want to be.

Signus was the first instance of the Black Rage, when Sanguinius got beat down. The curse is the legacy of Sanguinius' psychic ability and Horus' attack on him. I doubt they're going to screw with that. It should give some insight into what the Legion was like pre-curse though. That said, I'm keeping my hopes tempered. Swallows' HH books have been solid (in my opinion), but his BA books were nauseating. Not sure which tendency will come out on top.

I getthat Im just skeptical of what that means for the plot of the book and where he is going to take it. Is this going to play up Signus as the cause of all our porblems? Will someone have done something stupid that got us cursed? who knows but Im not terribly excited :) which is a shame because I want to be.

Signus was the first instance of the Black Rage, when Sanguinius got beat down. The curse is the legacy of Sanguinius' psychic ability and Horus' attack on him. I doubt they're going to screw with that. It should give some insight into what the Legion was like pre-curse though. That said, I'm keeping my hopes tempered. Swallows' HH books have been solid (in my opinion), but his BA books were nauseating. Not sure which tendency will come out on top.

I have trouble buying the two together. If Sanguinius getting all murderated with insane Psychic-ee Death blasts and stuff is what causes the curse. How can the curse be caused before that?

I have trouble buying the two together. If Sanguinius getting all murderated with insane Psychic-ee Death blasts and stuff is what causes the curse. How can the curse be caused before that?

Ageis may have the correct answer that the Thirst and the Black Rage are two separate things with their own distinct causes. I never interpreted it that way, but the book could certainly show that to be the case. The way I've always understood it, the two are intertwined and have to do with the circumstances of Sanguinius' death and his psychic connection to his legion. In that case, the BA aren't cursed after Signus because Sanguinius is still alive. His being knocked unconscious shows kind of a preview of what's to come.

Think of the BA kind of like your house during a lightning storm. A close hit knocks out the power for a minute, but it comes back on normally afterwards. That's the BA after Signus. Then your house gets hit directly by the lightning and every piece of electronics in the home is fried to a crisp, irreparably damaged. That's post-Siege of Terra BA.

Ageis may have the correct answer that the Thirst and the Black Rage are two separate things with their own distinct causes. I never interpreted it that way, but the book could certainly show that to be the case. The way I've always understood it, the two are intertwined and have to do with the circumstances of Sanguinius' death and his psychic connection to his legion. In that case, the BA aren't cursed after Signus because Sanguinius is still alive. His being knocked unconscious shows kind of a preview of what's to come.

Think of the BA kind of like your house during a lightning storm. A close hit knocks out the power for a minute, but it comes back on normally afterwards. That's the BA after Signus. Then your house gets hit directly by the lightning and every piece of electronics in the home is fried to a crisp, irreparably damaged. That's post-Siege of Terra BA.

Well the Red Thirst and the Black rage are pretty distinctly different. They might be interrelated (in that some find soothing the red thirst gives them more control and others find the opposite) but they arent really the same thing all the time. It just seems wierd especially when the two most common theories about how the Black Rage came about that they reference in the older books at least (I havent really absorbed the new one too much)

Is that

1) The Blood they use isnt Actually Sangiunius' fresh blood.

2) The Initiates are getting like a genetic imprint of his death from the blood.

SO Unless the psychic backlash travels through time? Im not really sure how that works out.

More research is required on this topic mind you!

I have spoken to James Swallow about that book. He has been planning it for some time. It is indeed a heresy book, and will be about Signus Prime, the Red Thirst, and will feature the creation of the Red Angel. James has been gearing up for this book for a long long time from what I can see.

Did you happen to slip in a "try not to :rolleyes: this one up" in?

Well the Red Thirst and the Black rage are pretty distinctly different. They might be interrelated (in that some find soothing the red thirst gives them more control and others find the opposite) but they arent really the same thing all the time. It just seems wierd especially when the two most common theories about how the Black Rage came about that they reference in the older books at least (I havent really absorbed the new one too much)

Is that

2) The Initiates are getting like a genetic imprint of his death from the blood.

SO Unless the psychic backlash travels through time? Im not really sure how that works out.

The Blood Angels are distinct from all other chapters in that they alone use geneseed cultured from the dead body of their Primarch... Given that the rage commonly involves visions of the death of Sanguinius, witht he aflicted marines commonly re-living his final moments, maybe that has more to do with it than the blood not being fresh. Within every Blood Angel is the actual flesh that was cursed and psychicly tormented by Horus and the Chaos Gods. While that flesh lives, surely the curse lives with it?

Is that

The Blood Angels are distinct from all other chapters in that they alone use geneseed cultured from the dead body of their Primarch... Given that the rage commonly involves visions of the death of Sanguinius, witht he aflicted marines commonly re-living his final moments, maybe that has more to do with it than the blood not being fresh. Within every Blood Angel is the actual flesh that was cursed and psychicly tormented by Horus and the Chaos Gods. While that flesh lives, surely the curse lives with it?

Actually they don't use blood directly from the corpse of Sanguinius. The blood is actually taken from the Sanguinary Priests, who have had the blood of the Primarch passed down inside their veins from generation to generation of priests. I guess the firsts priests were injected with Sanguinius' blood, and then each new priest gets an infusion from the original priests, and then the new ones have infusions from the ones before, etc., etc., through the ages. IMHO, wouldn't Space Marines kind of see taking blood or anything from their Primarch's dead body to be a grave insult (no pun intended)? You know, feeding off the corpse of the being that made them who they are like carrion birds?

As for the book, I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'm setting myself up to be raged upon but I didn't mind Swallow's BA books too badly, and Eisenstein was pretty good too. I've been waiting for a HH Blood Angel book too long to have my spirits dampened by the fact that Swallow is writing it.

Just think, it could be C.S. Goto.

Actually they really did have to take the geneseed and blood from the dead body of their Primarch after the traitors had been driven away from Terra. The Blood Angels genebanks were destroyed during the fighting, so they had to do it or there would be no more Blood Angels. They also took his blood, and kept it in the Red Grail for some time (the one Corbulo carries with him), until they became worried that the blood would not last very long in there on its own so they injected it into the priests to keep it alive. While he was alive, there was no need for the priests to have some of it in their blood after all, since he was alive to donate when a new batch of recruits were selected...

Red Thirst and Black Rage are definitely separate. The Red Thirst is temporary and Angels can recover, the Rage is a permanent state unless you happen to be Mephiston.

The Red Thirst was caused by Ka'Bandha on Signus Prime, where he defeated Sanguinius and broke his legs. He then rampaged through the Angels as Sanguinius watched after saying "your legs will heal but this wound will ever fester" and the psychic backlash of the death of his sons made Sanguinius black out. Then the Angels get hit by the backlash and go MENTAL.

So, that's why the Angels fear to tread. Because their primarch nearly died.

That sort of reinforces my point though right. Like If the curse is from the way that Sanguinius Died and they then were forced to replenish the chapter (be it the lack of his fresh blood or the dead cultured Geneseed) How then do they have issues with the Black Rage and the Red Thirst in the midst of a battle prior to the death of their primarch? (that does not make sense!) BUT thats just me being a grumpy guy. :D

That sort of reinforces my point though right. Like If the curse is from the way that Sanguinius Died and they then were forced to replenish the chapter (be it the lack of his fresh blood or the dead cultured Geneseed) How then do they have issues with the Black Rage and the Red Thirst in the midst of a battle prior to the death of their primarch? (that does not make sense!) BUT thats just me being a grumpy guy. :D

it still makes perfect sense. even currently there are theories about archetypal memories passed through our genes (some theorize this is how the western dragon took it's image. the most dangerous predators known to early man inter-mixed in memories in people that never had those fears)

the memory is stored in the geneseed, once the geneseed is inside the marine it's very plausible to expect pre-battle stress to activate the memories, especially if they're going into battle against chaos.

Archived