new to warhammer 4,000

voltronmarine

hello everyone, I've just started warhammer 4000 and a friend referred me to this site. I quite like the look of the space marines and my favorite colour is blue. anyway being new to the hobby and all I wanted to get some advice on painting because I'm not very good at it....

please try not to be to harsh on my painting because I haven't painted many models

I started my space marine sergent and I'm pretty happy with him. but the only problem was I dont have a camera that works properly at the moment but I thought I'd put a picture up of what the model looks like for you to look at, I'm working on highlighting but I'm to scared to do it on this one because its my favorate any tips would be great!

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/64/23/02/a816f410.png

I have a few questions too:

how do you drill out gun barrels with out ruining the gun?

I was told by my freind that washes would be good could someone please explain how they work cause my freind knows how to make his models really good.

any other tips you have would be awesome too!

huh buhhhhhhh :devil:

Great work, keep it up!

Dont be scared of the highlights, Ultramarines keep their armor nice and codex clean so highlights really aren't necessary, plus if you use a wash it kinda does it on its own for a newer 4,000 player or modeler

That is awesome!!!!

To drill the bolters out without ruining the gun start by making a teeny tiny mark in the center of the barrel with a pin and then take a hobby drill with the smalles attachment and slowly drill out the centre fo the barrel using the hole that you made as a marker.

The GW washes are used to shade your model. They are colour specific, so for instance for the blue parts of your marines you would use Asurmen Blue. This will go into the recesses and cracks and add depth to the colours. Best bet is buy a few and try em out. You can get some awesome effects with them!

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your minis!

:devil:

in fact the number one rules for modelling/painting is

1. You will do mistakes!

and it is not realy important. my first painted model is currently laying in pieces in my bitz box because it was horrible, but at the time i was happy with it.

and I suggest you change your tittle to 40 000 instead of 4 000. and maybe remove the pictures at it look ... disturbing...

practice your highlight his squad mate you'll get better and he will be better :P

Hey everyone thanks for the positive feed back!

OK now I bit the bullet and decided to highlight him I'm pretty happy with the results.

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/64/23/02/cb4da810.png

I really enjoyed painting this one the model has a lot of character to it I'm going to stop by my gaming store and pick up some more paints and brushes. I'll put some work in progress pics up when I get a chance.

Thanks for reading.

Maybe it's just a test to see how long it takes for someone to come in and write some quality post along the lines of "Good job, keep up the good work"-useless-variety.

I'm with Khargan on this one. With the same expression his avatar does.

Just so you know I also did double take my calender.. No.. it certainly is not April.. and my expression still remains the same :P confused.com does not give me satisfactory reasoning to this confusion..

Archived