Incoming!

Rosicrucian

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere I have done some searches but not yet found anything that seems to address this.

Let us assume that I am playing IG and that it is my turn 1, in the shooting phase I successfully give a unit the Incoming! order.

Now according to the wording the unit 'will not be able to act normally until the end of the player's following turn'.

My initial reading was the the player referred to here was me (as the player giving the order) which would mean that the unit would be GtG for the rest of my turn, my opponent's turn and then my subsequent turn. It would be my turn 3 before I could get the unit to do anything (outside of Get Back Into The Fight!)

Is this interpretation correct? It would appear to make the Incoming! order practically worthless and raise several further issues such as when does the unit get its cover save or not?

A more workable interpretation appears to be that the player being referred to is in fact my opponent and that by my turn 2 the unit would be back to normal. Essentially my squad would be getting its turn of inactivity before rather than after the turn in which they get the cover save.

Unfortunately I'm not overly confident of this as an interpretation, it appears to make the order workable without raising other queries but possibly makes the order overly useful.

Any input into this would be gratefully received.

D

My initial reading was the the player referred to here was me (as the player giving the order) which would mean that the unit would be GtG for the rest of my turn, my opponent's turn and then my subsequent turn. It would be my turn 3 before I could get the unit to do anything (outside of Get Back Into The Fight!)

Is this interpretation correct? It would appear to make the Incoming! order practically worthless and raise several further issues such as when does the unit get its cover save or not?

Yes, that interpretation is correct. The unit would get its cover save from immediately after the order was issued until the end of the order's effect (so the end of your following turn).

Unfortunately, I can't really give tactical advice here for the effective use of Incoming! (as this is a Space Marine board), but I would check out the forums listed in the Imperial Guard Links section of the B&C for advice on using Incoming! and its relationship to Get Back In the Fight!.

As mentioned, your interpretationis correct.

Incoming! is essentially a double-value Go To Ground effect that requires a Ld test to achieve (for the order). Instead of the +1 you'd normally get as a reaction to enemy fire and the loss of one turn's worth of actions, you get a +2 to the save for the price of two turns' worth of actions.

This order is a pre-planning move. You use it in Turn Five onward when you know a shooty enemy is going to try to shift your unit in cover off of an objective by shooting them to bits. If that unit is in standard 4+ cover, you now get a 2+ cover save instead. Against anything that allows cover saves, your unit is now harder to kill than a Terminator.

It's even useful early in the game. If you've got a unit that you need to keep alive for some purpose late in the game, give them the Incoming! order while in cover. Your opponent may decide that shooting at Guardsmen with 2+ saves isn't worth his time in that particular turn and find another target or perform another actionin the shooting phase (Run, pop smoke, etc etc).

Archived