Two-handed weapon?

Steel Angel

Yes, two-handed deprives you of the possibility of getting an offhand attack from a pistol or second CCW (i.e. you can't duel-wield Relic Blades, as awesome as that would be). Yes, that's all it does. <3

Two-handed weapons prevent you from gaining the extra attack in close combat but, somewhat bizarrely, do not prevent you from using wargear in your other hand. So you can, for example, equip a 2-handed weapon with a Storm Shield.

Yea, there's some merit to taking two different special weapons (e.g. a Relic Blade and a PF) so you can be S6 I5 or S8 I1 depending on the context...a "budget Calgar" as it were. Also, a Relic Blade/Storm Shield is not an uncommon choice.

Handedness, as you've already determined, is kind of a weird and ill-defined thing in Warhammer 40k. It's one of the aspects of the rules that depends on how long you've been playing and not upon the rule set itself.

The entirety of what it means to be a 2 handed weapon is nicely placed on pg. 42 with all the special close combat weapons.

I honestly do not remember this. I'll check it out when I get home.

However, of course, they come with their own benefits. A Power Fist may not allow you as many attacks, but does grant you S8.

I'm pretty sure a Power Fist is not a two-handed weapon. Especially since many models can get two of them; that would require that Marneus Calgar, for example, have 4 hands, which I'm pretty sure he does not.

Valerian

However, of course, they come with their own benefits. A Power Fist may not allow you as many attacks, but does grant you S8.

I'm pretty sure a Power Fist is not a two-handed weapon. Especially since many models can get two of them; that would require that Marneus Calgar, for example, have 4 hands, which I'm pretty sure he does not.

Valerian

BBB specifically states that in regards to PFs, they do not receive a bonus attack for 2 one handed weapons unless the other weapon is also a PF. Pg 42 (in the small rule book) In essence, they function like a 2 handed weapon, at least part of the time.

I believe Grey Mage was simply stating where the rules for two-handed weapons can be found, not suggesting all special weapons are two-handed weapons, which is demonstrably untrue.

I believe Grey Mage was simply stating where the rules for two-handed weapons can be found, not suggesting all special weapons are two-handed weapons, which is demonstrably untrue.

Right. I merely put in that last part in reference to LC, PF, and TH behaving like two handed weapons unless used in pairs. :)

Valerian

BBB specifically states that in regards to PFs, they do not receive a bonus attack for 2 one handed weapons unless the other weapon is also a PF.

Quite true, but this doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Zincite stated that Power Fists are two-handed weapons, which they are not. You can pair two Power Fists to get the extra attack in close combat. You cannot, however, pair two Relic Blades to get an extra attack, can you? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

V

Well, you could dual wield Relic Blades, but it wouldn't do anything for the model except making him look cool ;)

And make him expensive, also since there is no real relicblade wysiwyg wise you can also model a regular ccw as being awesome.

You're actually fully right, they're exceptions to the 1H rule. I think I might have been looking for a good example and my brain wandered off. Or something.

2-Handed weapons are almost a vestigial designation at this point (to Marines, at least). It mattered in 3rd and 4th Edition, but now you can pretty much consider all weapons to be 1-handed, and they simply either function as a 1-Handed weapon normally would (possibly granting +1 Attack) or they simply don't.

Most weapons have no reference whatsoever to how many hands a weapon requires, some weapons simply say you can't claim bonus attacks. *shrug*

Under the ACTUAL "# of Hands" system, you were allowed to have up to 1 1-Handed weapon and 1 2-Handed weapon equipped at the same time. Under the current system you can have basically as many "hands" worth of weapons as you can figure out how to buy for your character.

If not for having to trade out a character's base weapons to get special weapons, you could equip a Captain with a Combi-Melta, a Storm bolter, a Relic Blade, a Storm Shield, and a Plasma Pistol. That like 8.5 "hands" worth of weapons....

Well, and C:DA can currently do that. Still, it comes up more often than people think about, they just... literally dont think about it. Example: A bolter is a two handed weapon, it cant be combiend with something else for +1 attack. It doesnt need to be stated... but it obviously falls into the zone of 'rifle buts' etc. Its useful to have this designation remain in the rules set- and frankly, I think it should be used more often... like how we were supposed to get access points and firing arcs for all the weapons on a vehicle.

Archived