Question on painting Angels Sanguine helmets

Captain Semper

I'm seriously considering building a small (yeah right!) BA army. I'm also inclined on choosing an Angels Sanguine force mainly due to the color scheme.

So here is the question: is there a definitive way of painting the red part of the helmet depending on marine specialty? Does one have to paint the "red" part yellow for an assault squad for example? I know there are arguments both ways and the ultimate: "your models, paint them what you like" but I like to respect the color scheme of Angels Sanguine as much as possible. I would also like to state that I'm more inclined towards an all red helmet accross all specialties.

So any clarifications will be welcome.

The guy with the gold helmet in the codex is a tactical squads veteran sergeant, his squad is shown in How to Paint Space Marines - the rest of the squad have split red/black helmets as shown in the uniform example art in the codex.

Personally I vote no to helmet colours - Blood Angels use that in place of the codex squad emblem, the Angels Sanguine uniform example shows them using codex squad emblems.

Just another thought to add to the pile but if you're going to do a 1/2 scheme why not take it all the way?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/Angels%20Sanguine/11-DropPod-8thSquad.jpg

I kept the colored helmets consistent with the BA on the red 1/2 while keeping the black 1/2 all black. I believe it makes for a much more striking army overall.

Just my 2c. -OMG

OK this is seriusly nice! Huge inspiration for sure! Maybe I need to suppress my fear for yellow after all. :P

With my thanks. After painting up 5K pts or so I guess it gave me a bit of an unfair advantage. Though no longer consistent with current fluff, I did try to flesh out the AS a little bit back when I first started this army. Check out Iron Willed Angels for my take on an Index Astertes style write-up.

Which includes a short treatise on helmet colors:

gallery_15218_1024_38893.jpg

gallery_15218_1024_32501.jpg

Have fun with it. Seeing more AS around the forum is always a welcome site.

Cheers, -OMG

Archived