Space Marine Squad GDUK2011 Finalist

Bionicknees

In the end I only managed to finish one entry and received another finalist pin. My entry was also shown again on the games workshop website. I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't take my painting to the next level to get in the top three but I was still satisfied with the result and my finished piece. Once again the painting throughout the categories was top notch and congrats to everyone who won.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/Bionicknees/FearournameforitisVengeanceGDUK2011Finalist.jpg

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/Bionicknees/SpaceMarineCaptain.jpg

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/Bionicknees/SpaceMarine2.jpg

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/Bionicknees/Spacemarine3.jpg

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/Bionicknees/SpaceMarineBanner.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

The issue isn't one of extreme highlights. These models lack contrast of any kind. They're literally flat basecoats, with an edge highlight. There's no depth, no variation; virtually a complete lack of shading and his highlights, while clean, aren't enough to make the models interesting. All you've really got going for you is your freehand (which is what got you into the Finalist position). Without it, your models would be entirely lacklustre and wouldn't have made First Cut.

The banner also needs a lot more detail. Far too much open "fields" of red for visual interest, which looks really bad when combined with your lack of any real shading/highlighting.

On that note though, top-notch freehand. I'm just curious, did you mean to put "Covrus" or "Corvus"?

DV8

The issue isn't one of extreme highlights. These models lack contrast of any kind. They're literally flat basecoats, with an edge highlight. There's no depth, no variation; virtually a complete lack of shading and his highlights, while clean, aren't enough to make the models interesting. All you've really got going for you is your freehand (which is what got you into the Finalist position). Without it, your models would be entirely lacklustre and wouldn't have made First Cut.

The banner also needs a lot more detail. Far too much open "fields" of red for visual interest, which looks really bad when combined with your lack of any real shading/highlighting.

This was what I meant to say, only couldn't find the right words for - Thanks DV8 ;)

Very nice squad, albeit a little confusing.

The Marines made me think they were Dark Angels, then i saw the Chapter badge and thought Blood Angels, then i saew the bolters, the i saw Covrus and thought of Raven Guard, as they have Corvus on their kit

Excellent freehand, the robes and banner could use more shading, but still top notch work

On that note though, top-notch freehand. I'm just curious, did you mean to put "Covrus" or "Corvus"?

DV8

I have to disagree. They are so fine they dont need any shading, because the real light does that. Beside the sw bolters it basically just perfect. Why does should the banner have more details? More isnt better. In fact the banner fits the style of the Marines. You critic looks to me like you think you always have to add something to make it better and lost all sense for plain beauty.

I have to disagree. They are so fine they dont need any shading, because the real light does that.

Puh-lease *sarcasm*. By it's very nature highlights and shadows are a way to force the impression that light is coming and affecting a model from a particular direction. To tell a story, to show interaction with an environment, to evoke a mood, theme or emotion. The moment you highlight a model you are attempting to force lighting and tell the viewer (of the model) where light is in fact coming from.

If you really really wanted to use natural light to shade the model (and you're saying this with a straight face, right?), you wouldn't even edge highlight (as a highlight, that in itself is forced lighting). You would simply basecoat and call it a day. And let me tell you, the day a basecoated miniature wins Golden Demon is the day this hobby goes down the poop chute.

Beside the sw bolters it basically just perfect.

Not to be an ass, but clearly they aren't. Nothing against bionicknees, but if these models were in fact perfect, they would have won a Golden Demon instead of simply being a Finalist.

Why does should the banner have more details? More isnt better. In fact the banner fits the style of the Marines.

Wut? Nevermind the opportunity that such a large canvas affords for elaborate freehand and detailing to really "wow" the judges/viewers, what's the point of a large banner in the first place? As an artistic element, such a detail is a way to pull in the viewer and help evoke a mood, or a theme. Did you really need such a large banner in the first place to simply put the Blood Drop + Wings, and write the words "REPENT" on it? Taking that simple detail and putting on a squad sergeant banner would have been FAR more impressive, primarily because of scale.

Take a look at the past decade of Golden Demon winners, particularly in Europe. More and more the "meta" of competitive painting is moving away from Fantasy painting and moving closer to realism, akin to what military scale modellers have been doing for years. They're painting fantasy characters but at a scale and detailing that makes them look real. And scale is really important to help bridge the gap between fantasy and reality. If you imagine a Space Marine to be 8 feet tall in his armor, how big must that banner be? Are you telling me that on a banner that's 8 feet tall by 10 feet long, you'd have nothing better to put on it than a big Blood Drop + Wings and the words "REPENT"?

Even if that was all he'd put, but he painted the red with some manner of patterning, would have done loads to make that banner look more than lackluster and boring.

You critic looks to me like you think you always have to add something to make it better and lost all sense for plain beauty.

Lol. Maybe you're so used to shoulder-patting that you just don't like hearing an honest opinion?

DV8

Excellent paint job, but I think you shot yourself in the foot. It is so clean and crisp, but if you'd applied that to a more stunning colour it would have been more attention grabbing. The painting quality could be the same, but it would have that added "Well damn" factor.

I like the banner being simple as well. Personal taste.

But the question still remains; what ARE they?

Making it as a Finalist does count for something, and these marines look good. I do have to admit I'm in DV8's camp with this, in that a little extra could have probably gone a long way with them. As for the chapter, is it just me or do these seem a little obvious to be Death Company Blood Angels?

The highlighting and freehand paintings are very well done, I wish I have such a sure hand for details. :P

As for the chapter, is it just me or do these seem a little obvious to be Death Company Blood Angels?

But they don't have the traditional red crosses on their armour. Which is confusing.

Maybe they are hidden under their tabards ? ;)

Frater Scipio : You critic looks to me like you think you always have to add something to make it better and lost all sense for plain beauty

Well... Noblesse oblige. You enter GD, you deserve GD level critics, nothing less. I have to agree with DV8 on nearly all points. Though this is some clean and crisp painting, this is far too flat and gives a sense of unfinished job for a GD lvl.

I do admit that those "Bloody dark-unforgivens of Fenris" are neverthelesse quite pleasant to see.

DS

DV8

How bloody rude. Not even a congrats in there. Care to post YOUR finalist entry for this year?

Archived