Command Squad Biker counter?

MattCrawford

Anybody know a reasonable counter for the SM Command Squad on bikes? From what my friend can tell me they're fairly fearsome with all kinds of crazy things like ++3 saves from Stromshields and Feel No Pain, plus some ridiculous assault stats.

For the record, I play some pretty fluffy World Eaters, so I'm not sure how to get him without facing down what could be a very painful charge from his end. Thoughts?

charge them.

i know sounds silly and simplistic, however command squads are I4, zerks on the charge are I5.. your hitting on 3s wounding on 4's and granted he has a 3+ and FNP, but throwing lots of attacks means they will die, add in a couple of fists and bobs your mothers brother.

you might need more than one squad though, try and hit with about 15+ zerks with a couple of fists..

No matter how souped up they get, they are still just a bunch of one wound models. Weight of dice (assault or shooting) will knock them off one by one, and each loss hurts the squad.

Still, I love my bike command squad, and it makes me feel warm and tingly inside when people talk about how much they fear it. :cuss

Really Command Bike Squad are not that great. They will only have one wound each unless the Captain is with them. But like others have said just weight of attacks and forceing them to roll alot of saves will kill them. If the Bike Squad doesn't have a Fist a Defiler will eat them aswell.

Torrent of fire is the correct answer. As mentioned, the best save any member of the squad (excluding the attached Captain) can get is a 3+ (of any type), andyou have topay for a 3+ invulnerable per man. Volleys of plasma, krak, or lascannon fire will decimate the Bike Command Squad (BCS) regardless of how they're kitted.

In addition, fully-kitted BCSs are points-heavy. The base squad will run you 205, and that's with no invulnerables at all. If you want every man to have an invulnerable save, you tack on another 60. Note that the Apothecary never gets an invulnerable save, as you can't buy him wargear. Then you're going to want power weapons to back up that close combat ability. 60 more points. Each member of the squad has 2 base attacks, which cannot improve beyond 3 on the charge because of all the stormshields that deny the extra attack for two close combat weapons.

The most dangerous BCS is theone that is built with moderation and played intellgently. One or two stormshields, the Apothecary, the Champion, and one additional power weapon or powerfist is all you need, and it's tough to take down in one go without vast numbers superiority.

Honestly, the BCS isn't scary til you add a relic blade-toting Captain to the mix. His attacks hit more reliably and wound wonderfully.

The advice to "just charge them" is a tactical fallacy, as a Bike Command Squad can outmaneuver any assault-based unit that wants to punch them, either with a 12" move, or a Turbo Boost.

If you want to kill a BCS with Berzerkers, it'll take two 10-man units to achieve. Each squad needs a powerfist. The first squad is bait. It takes a charge on the chin in order to lock down the BCS. After the first assault is done, use your backup Zerks to pile into that melee, gaining your Furious Charge bonuses against an immobile BCS. Of course, this tactic relies on your first squad surviving the charge from the BCS. If they don't, the BCS can move away slightly and possibly be out of retaliation range of the second Zerk squad.

All bike units are susceptible to being trapped. Put the vice on them and they'll have to face you eventually. You just have to weather the firepower they level at you on the way in.

Lastly, always consider the value of actually killing the BCS. If it's a tooled-up Deathstar of a unit with 300+ points tied up in it, it might be smarter to just avoid them, or tie them up with a cheap tarpit.

Bike COmmand Squads are "that great" when run by a good opponent. I'll throw mine into a squad of Berserkers any day of the week, knowing my Captain and Champion can carve holes in your squad reliably. Properly maneuvered, I can even avoid that hidden powerfist swining at my captain. However, if there's a Chaos Dread babysitting that squad, I have to reconsider because I might be facing a brutal countercharge from S10 power weapon hits.

Archived