Star Vultures Chaos Space Marines WIP

nonumber

Hello there, been lurking around for a couple of days as I tried to get my act together, been out of the 40k game for almost 10 years now but still involved in the broader hobby through Blood Bowl, which aids my hobby A.D.D. given that you only need 12, 14 models for a full team. Building an army is a different thing altogether and I could never muster a large force as a kid.

I actually started this one by accident. I bought the box set of 10 Chaos Space Marines with a plan of using the breast plates and shoulders to make a Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team. I decided it didn't look right and figured "whelp, might as well make up the squad" and soon after "whelp, might as well make the army". I now have the peices for two squads of 7 Plague Marines, one squad of 5 Chosen with a Rhino, one modest Havok squad and a Terminator Lord.

I first painted the Plague marines in the standard Nurglish colors, green and brown washes etc etc. Example below. But I decided I didn't want to keep running with that and have decided I'm going to paint the army red with silver trims, using the name "Star Vultures" because to be honest I figured it would be easy to use the readily available Emperor's Children icons that way.

Anyway enough of my life story for now, here's a couple of pictures just to kick off this WIP.

First, one of the Plague Marines:

gallery_63879_6535_14445.jpg

Another two, still with the original paint job:

gallery_63879_6535_20457.jpg

And finally, my personal favourite at the moment, a converted Auto Cannon marine I kit bashed this morning:

gallery_63879_6535_14503.jpg

I'm trying to make every marine a little bit more individual than I usually do, so more kit bashing and use of the optional extras typically found on most sprues.

Anyhow, that's enough from me for now, I'll try and get some of these guys painted ASAP. Some of the work I've seen on here already is a real inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, I get what you mean regarding the beastman arm, but looking at it first hand it does look okay, and when you consider that arm would usually be inside a metal armour case, it does look proportionate- plus he's a plague marine, and their bodies have all sorts of stuff goin' on :cuss

Little bit of an empasse, but I've just about finished painting my Terminator Lord.

Straight from the box, except a head swap with a fantasy marauder, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

gallery_63879_6535_34756.jpg

It also shows the paint scheme I'm going for, simply mechrite red on the armour and boltgun metal on the trims, washed with badab black and the mechrite red picked out again on raised and flat areas. I know many of you would highlight further, but to be honest I'm always frustrated when I do so because I liked the dull metal look of a simple black wash on boltgun and I'm pretty useless at edge highlighting anyway. I'm happy with how it looks, and I know I won't be if I do any more!

I bought the GW spray gun to help me basecoat but I was having trouble with the propellant the other day, once I get that down I'm pretty sure the army will come on leaps and bounds.

Hay Dreamer thanks for the link to the topic. So whats the plan with these guys - Are they following Papa Green or just using a few squads of plague marines? Just asking as the terminator lord looks to 'clean' to be Nurgle. That said, i do like the paint job on him. And tgge auto cannon... sick! You gona paint the plague marines in red?

Archived