My Blood Scars WIP

Blood Scars

Hi, I am new to the whole table top gaming. Just got into it early September. I have been a fan of 40k for many years since the first Dawn of War game but could not resist any longer to its original form. I was just inspired by all the great miniatures I have seen painted and hope to have a top quality painted army as I get into this hobby.

My friend got more into the fluff by reading the books and online info. I have just been getting into it as well. So randomly one night he was testing me on the original chapters and I said Blood Scars, guess I combined Blood Angels with White Scars... :P But we thought that was a cool name so I decided to build a custom space marine chapter army. I will be following the Blood Angels Codex.

I am new to painting miniatures but I do have artistic experience, studied some form of art all through grade school and went to a design high school for film. Totally did a 180 in college. So I wanted something to re touch with that artistic side and what better than painting some cool figures and battling with them. My friend is writing all the fluff for them.

I found this site randomly and saw the Space Marine Painter. I am basically doing a cross pattern of a crimson style red with a dark grey.

I am taking lessons from a new friend at a local hobby store that does lessons real cheap and takes commissions for local jobs from 40k to flames. He has been playing for 12 years. I have also been looking online and come across great tutorials so I am looking at all kinds of stuff to see what I will do. I like to do things right.

I am using vallejo paints but I am yet to find a brush that I like. I am probably going to go with one that Les uses from awesomepaintjob. I love his work. My buddy that is teaching me has an interesting style, he does not like using metallic paints, washes or dry brush so he does a lot of layering or blending. Plus he loves to lick his brush instead of water. He does do some amazing work on the HQ and other more important units.

Here is my original scheme before ever painting a model. Mechrite red with Charadon Granite

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6161/6196719208_10eb870e27.jpg

A. Here is the scheme 1 with the paints used (terracotta and cold grey), Totally different real paint wise but just funny to see how dull it looked on the painter. (well actually looks kind of cool but more pre-heresy kind of scheme in my eyes and not blood angels quality).

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6196719306_d622be7b85.jpg

B.Testing scheme from the painter. I modified some things and repainted the red with Heavy Red instead of the terracotta, much better. I was waiting on my darker grey.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/6196750316_863794b696.jpg

C. This is scheme three with the darker grey but how the actual model was painted scheme wise

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6196750278_834408a9fd.jpg

I will post pictures of the real models in a bit but just wanted to show how I used a useful resource here and also to compare to the real deal.

Now my friend paints with a very artistic style and I know others use it as well. Since he does not like washes since he finds them cheap, he uses the black primer as the dark shadows always tries to leave black lines when he paints the base coat. Surely a very nice table top finish. He also used a basic two tone for the each color with a base coat and high lights. Since it is during a class he is going simple to teach me but he is very impressed with my lines after only my third model. I am hoping to be one of the best painters around my area hobby store wise and am a bit more open to different styles.

Any recommendations or comments are welcome. Thanks for looking

Ok so here are the pics of the first model the letter will correspond to the scheme from the painter in the original post.

BTW I take a good time into modeling these guys even for testing because I will use them for now even though they are not part of my 2k army list. I wash the bits with soap and warm water, use modeling files on mold lines big and small. Use sand paper to smooth the surface. Battle scar them with a hobby knife. For the actual figures I will use. base the model and then BAM primer time.

My friends name, who gives the lessons is called Brad just in case when I refer to his models and mine separately.

A. Unfinished ofcourse but the base and the highlight were there with the first colors. By Brad

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6196300059_c6bda6db93.jpg

B. Brad redid the red with heavy red (mechrite) I liked it so far. This was his finished product from yesterday. His version of gold non metallic on the gun, he likes bright colors

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/6196300573_dd5b98a4b7.jpg

C. This was my third model using his the style he uses, I want to try others as well. I got the charadon granite but it was so much darker than expected so I mixed it 1:1 with codex grey. and I liked it. This model looks darker since it has no highlights yet. We will see, maybe I will have different companies with the two one of the two tones of grey since I like both. My lines are getting better.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6154/6196300321_421e82c83c.jpg

Cape on the captain. By Brad Base of Dark Blue and Cold Grey. Looks Great

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6156/6196315897_c41afde67b.jpg

Sorry I keep mixing the color names between citadel and vallejo.

Welcome to the party! The Dawn of War games are what got me interested in the hobby too, so I know where you're coming from. As fun as those games are, the hobby has tons more to offer (not to say I won't be in line to buy DoW3...)

I like your color schemes, especially scheme C - good color choices, and we see so few quartered schemes it's easy to forget they exist! As far as he models go, C is my favorite and B is right up there (although that gun, well... it's distracting!). Also, nice work on the cape, and good job keeping the quartering lines clean. The eyes seem a little dark on all the models - intentional, or unfinished?

A promising start - looking forward to seeing more!

Welcome to the party! The Dawn of War games are what got me interested in the hobby too, so I know where you're coming from. As fun as those games are, the hobby has tons more to offer (not to say I won't be in line to buy DoW3...)

I like your color schemes, especially scheme C - good color choices, and we see so few quartered schemes it's easy to forget they exist! As far as he models go, C is my favorite and B is right up there (although that gun, well... it's distracting!). Also, nice work on the cape, and good job keeping the quartering lines clean. The eyes seem a little dark on all the models - intentional, or unfinished?

A promising start - looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks man yea I just found out about DoW 3 wish they would give some more info. I couldn't enjoy part 2 that much because my laptop is a bit old and I hate running crappy graphics. I have learned so much in this past month and it is a great community. have had people give me things for free to start up and just help out. I spend like half of my wednesdays at the shop talking and watching until my army is at least assembled.

Thanks scheme C was the original two color tones I wanted. They still need high lights so that will help brighten it up. I love quartered and even have it in the space marine game.

I painted C and my friend who is teaching did the first two. Its the same model but just finished in the second pic. The gun is his version of gold but I might use a metallic gold. What do you think?

I am definitely improving at a fast rate but I knew I would because I have some skills that really help out. The eyes are Scorpion green. the third one doesnt have it. But I want to do a goblin green base with a 2/3 scorpion and then a hint of white maybe like a shine. I just am not comfortable with any brush to do that or my hand is shaking since its at the end.

He also did the cape but I watched carefully and I am sure I can do it pretty well. I'll probably do the front cloth of the captain.

Right now I am working on getting the right magnets and drills to magnetize everything. assault marines, to predators. I appreciate the good comments and there will definitely be more coming.

So here is my first Rhino ever, not finished, I'll spare you the build up pics. This is just with the two layers of base coat. washed the pieces as usua;, they glued them with testors glue. Since this was my first one I did not have the materials to create them with open hatches (tutorial here) but the next one will have a painted interior and the extra goodies. So I assembled the model then drilled out holes with a dremel, a bit to fast might need a slower one, (my dad used it for wood carving) Then I used a combination of exacto blade work and dremel to create battle damage like scratches, bullet holes, and wear and tear.

I am very happy with it so far, I used Quick color flat black from home depot, might need another coat since it felt a bit un-smooth especially when I painted it. Then with a big bush I laid out the quadrants and then went in with a smaller brush to get some missing areas. I later used the smaller brush to apply a second coat all around, took a while.

So here it goes. I still need to go back and repaint some areas black and then all the mettalics, battle damage, etc.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6167/6218258631_47db965c16_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6180/6218780370_df57eb637c_z.jpg

So here is my first Rhino ever, not finished, I'll spare you the build up pics. This is just with the two layers of base coat. washed the pieces as usua;, they glued them with testors glue. Since this was my first one I did not have the materials to create them with open hatches (tutorial here) but the next one will have a painted interior and the extra goodies. So I assembled the model then drilled out holes with a dremel, a bit to fast might need a slower one, (my dad used it for wood carving) Then I used a combination of exacto blade work and dremel to create battle damage like scratches, bullet holes, and wear and tear.

I am very happy with it so far, I used Quick color flat black from home depot, might need another coat since it felt a bit un-smooth especially when I painted it. Then with a big bush I laid out the quadrants and then went in with a smaller brush to get some missing areas. I later used the smaller brush to apply a second coat all around, took a while.

So here it goes. I still need to go back and repaint some areas black and then all the mettalics, battle damage, etc.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6167/6218258631_47db965c16_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6180/6218780370_df57eb637c_z.jpg

Your gunner is standing to tall. the leg part is suppose to go under the turret and then have part of legs sticking threw. That way he doesn't look like hes standing on top of the tank firing the SB.

I dont know there death knight....if he did just a wee bit of green stuffing that could look pretty cool.....like the old school WW2 turrets on the tanks, you only had to stick part of you out but more often then not they stuck out a lot of themselves to be able to see their enemies as well as it gave them a wider view and greater control of the weapon...

Archived