The Flaw

LordOfSkyfall

Brothers, iv been pondering of late regarding the cause of the Flaw to our gene-seed.

I have developed a theory along these lines.... Imagine, if instead of being the curse we beleive the flaw to be, it was a gift? Now before you hall me off to the tower of baal and locking me away until oblivion for speaking such madness, hear me out. We all know our gene-sire the Lord of Angels was gifted with the power of forsite, now instread of the flaw being caused by the psychic backlash of his death may it have been in fact been intentional on Sanguinius' behalf. As blood angels, the longest lived of all space marines, we aspire to perfection in all things... now instead of being arrogant we are humbled by the Flaw a fact that seperates us from those traitorous dogs of The *Record Deleted* III Legion.

What if Sanguinius saw what our Legion would become without his sacrifice and the Flaw and decided the alternative was a far better chioce and allowing his death to not only aid the Emperor in destroying the Arch-Traitor but also mark his scions in such a way as to humble them and keep them Noble.

Discuss...

The "flaw" has been given many names over the years of which are the one in which we are familiar, e.g. "The Red Thirst" and more obscure ones like the, "Curse of Horus." It's mystery builds it's mystique. Despite century after century of research there is still a sense mystery when it comes to the true nature of the flaw.

What cannot be discounted is the ultimate fate of the afflicted when the flaw runs its course. This outcome, though it can be "overcome" by a few exceptional souls, is inevitable for most others. This fate could never have been the will of the Patriarch nor as it could be that of the Emperor.

It's always been a bit of a misnomer in game terms that the DC are such effective units when at the heart of their fluff they are tragic heroes among tragic heroes. It would almost make it seem that BA related chapters would encourage the production of such shock troops but in the end, these are battle brothers. Death on the battlefield is far more honorable to the marine than the dark fate that could await them locked in tower of unknown madness.

It's most popularly referred to as a flaw for good reason. It's more a reflection of the heart of the Blood Angel when it comes to their ability to mitigate its detriments, rise above its constraints and ultimately find all the more honor for bearing its maladies.

-OMG

I thought the Red Thirst was a pre-Sanguinius thing, and only the Black Rage was caused by his death.

I dont think that is every definitively discussed. We know that many of the rites of the blood angels have always involved (well since finding Sanguinius) drinking blood. Whether this was due to the thirst or just a matter of their rites is left ambiguous.

Its also interesting in that the Rage and Thirst are sort of indirectly related. We now apparently know that both the thirst and rage effected the chapter on Signus. We know that the most blood thirsty individuals tend to fall to the rage in the short term so the question is whether the black rage is caused by the red thirst or if the red thirst is just a coincidental symptom of a bigger problem (lack of will power/discipline)

You'd think that in the 40th millenium they could alter some genetics.... I am a Black Templar, but I am not here to point fingers and make fun. You are still a brother to us. And I feel for the loss of those brothers consumed by the Red Thirst and Black Rage. Is there no cure? none? Have the mighty Blood Angels accepted the grim future and simply face it with determination? The Black Rage happens when a brother recieves vision of his Pirmarchs death and is driven to such bouts of grief that he is treated as mad, no? Well, what would psychology do? Maybe a branch of apothecaries dedicated to treating the MENTAL state of the curse. or am I completely wrong?

You'd think that in the 40th millenium they could alter some genetics.... I am a Black Templar, but I am not here to point fingers and make fun. You are still a brother to us. And I feel for the loss of those brothers consumed by the Red Thirst and Black Rage. Is there no cure? none? Have the mighty Blood Angels accepted the grim future and simply face it with determination? The Black Rage happens when a brother recieves vision of his Pirmarchs death and is driven to such bouts of grief that he is treated as mad, no? Well, what would psychology do? Maybe a branch of apothecaries dedicated to treating the MENTAL state of the curse. or am I completely wrong?

You are not wrong. All of this has been covered in the background. The Blood Angels have dedicated psychologists, the Sanguinary Priests. They are not just medics like other chapters' Apothecaries, they have been specifically tasked by Sanguinius to care for the mental stability of the Blood Angels. But as the flaws are genetic, they can do only so-and-so much.

Altering the geneseed has been tried, the result was the Lamenters. Long story short: It didn't work.

Archived