Some of my Ultramarines

Gunslinger87

Hi everyone!

So these will be the first images of my marines I will post anywhere online, so please be nice :-D

I'm no great painter and in fact (although technically I started about a year ago, I've been going to uni the whole time and haven't been able to improve much beyond my first feeble attempts) I'm still a beginner. Any suggestions (reasonable ones, I can hardly expect to join the 'Eavy Metal team in the next couple of lifetimes) are welcome.

I've got a lot more (about 3000 points) back home, but I could only bring so much to the UK. Sadly, after surviving a padded plane journey in my hand-luggage a genious of a driver through my entire bag into the bus that would take me to Uni.

Yes... all of my metal models were in pieces, chipped to the bone... or I should say metal... I've only just repainted Calgar and Cassius. Probably not as good as they were, but I'm happy they at least resemble themselves yet again. I attribute it to a despicable attack by the ruinous powers, but thankfully a timely intervention by the God-Emperor made at least this salvage possible.

Now on to the pictures: :-D

Here is my primary tactical squad with my typical loadout (Power Fist, Plasma Cannon, Meltagun)

gallery_54672_6545_169269.jpg

Chaplain cassius. A bit blurry and missing his backpack, but I'm actually quite happy with how he turned out.

gallery_54672_6545_114111.jpg

The chapter master himself:

gallery_54672_6545_48923.jpg

gallery_54672_6545_126967.jpg

And with his terminator honour guard. Sergeant Thor (I know I know, not much of an original name) just took a shot to the head for him... Now that's what I call dedication :-D

gallery_54672_6545_2718.jpg

PS Ive been told Calgar looks like a Salamander in disguise :-D some of that is the lighting, some of it isn't. He looked a bit too pale to me... and a wash later he looked like Barack Obama. Have to shake it better next time :-D

Fixed Calgar's skin tone. The picture is still a bit dark (seeing as its at night with a camera light) but thankfully it looks alright now. I'm happy with the fact that the mistake ultimately led to a nicely shaded face (can't see it much) because I left the dark tones in the recesses and "lightened him up" mostly with highlights.

gallery_54672_6545_98348.jpg

Correction: PHONE camera light :-D LOL

Good stuff! Always great to see more Ultrasmurfs on the board.

I think really my only suggestion would be just keep at it. You're highlighting the models, and while it's a bit uneven in places I think practice will fix the most glaring issues, like in some places the highlights are a bit too sharp compared to others, that kinda thing.

Have you ran over the gold with some brown ink to give it a richer appearance?

Your Ultramarines symbol freehand work is a bit, uh... rough. Forgeworld do a huge A4 sheet of ultramarine symbols, and decals are pretty easy to apply if you have the know how. Get yourself some microsol and microset and you'll be knocking out pro looking transfers in no time. (Shameless plug: if you check out the blog link in my sig I've done a tutorial on applying transfers that might help)

Archived