Good idea for Assault Squad

Myxx

So I am in the process of filling out my 1500 point DIY army to 2k, and want a good Assault unit to add. My Chapter uses a lot of plasma, so I tend to add it when I can. For my new, kit bashed squad, I am looking at:

Captain with jump pack, power weapon, plasma pistol, aux grenade launcher, digital weapons, melta bombs

Chaplain with jump pack, plasma pistol, digital weapons

Assault squad with jump packs

Sgt. With plasma pistol, power weapon, melta bombs

1 marine with plasma pistol

so my math means: one grenade (frag or krak as needed), 4 plasma shots, 4 bolt pistol shots in shooting

then 25 attacks in assault (13 with power weapons) that reroll misses in the first round, and 2 power weapons that reroll missed wounds.

looks to me like a good hammer to swing in the Emperors name...

thoughts?

its a nice unit although tbh id spend the extra 100 odd points and make it a ten man squad with a second plasma (i actually prefer flamers, but youve mentioned your prefer plasma).

the chappy will really get more bang for your buck when hes re-rolling 40 ish attacks on the charge.. plus it gives you alot more spare bods against shooty armies

also since this is looking alike a nice deathstar, id put a fist on the sergeant, otherwise a dread will make a nice mess of you.. also think about a relic blade on the captain

At 185 points that captain is expensive as he is. Consider

Captain with artificer armor, jump pack, relic blade, storm shield

Chaplain with jump pack, digital weapons

Assault squad with thammer/sshield on sgt, flamer

185 for captain, 135 for chaplain, 155 for assault squad.

I recommend the captain as such because I5 S6 power weapon attacks are infamously good, and the SS makes him a terminator. No need for digiweaps as he wounds T4 on 2's. Thunder hammer on assault squad ensures any big nasty you hit is either going to be guarantee shaken or striking at I1 if it lives to next turn. Flamer for horde security.

I like the plasma you can put out, and if I were you I'd drop the captain for maybe shrike if you want to keep the rest of your loadout. Fleet and MC LC's for an extra 10p's. Oh and infiltrate for the squad.

As GC08 said, seriously consider upping the count to 10 marines and another plasma pistol. Not only do you get that fifth plasma shot, but you also get a boatload of attacks.

The thing with Assault Marines is that the majority of their damage is coming purely from weight of attacks. Five extra ASM on the charge will give you fifteen more attacks with non-powered weapons, and they'll be rerolling to hit. The things you'll be shooting with the plasma pistols (Marines, Terminators, monsters) tend to have reliable armor saves. That's why you're applying plasma. :P The best way to beat a 3+ or 2+ armor save is to throw a whole brick of dice at them. The extra bodies combined with the Chaplain make sure you have plenty of dice to use when rolling to wound. Also remember that the Chaplain gives rerolls on the single grenade attack each marine can make against vehicles. That first round of 12 grenades might not get too many sixes against a vehicle that moved >6", but the second roll just might be the difference maker.

I'd also agree with the recommendation for a powerfist or thunderhammer on the sergeant. If you get jammed up by a walker, you're going to be slowly whittled down to nothing. The fist or hammer ensures you have at least a chance to break out. Grenades are just too hard to apply to a non-Immobile walker without charging (and you won't be doing that on purpose).

Thanks brothers. I plan to bump them up to 10 and add a fist* on the Sgt.

*Fist or hammer? Any rock solid preferences? I usually see fists...

@ShinyRhino - thanks on the grenade tip, I had never even considered that!

... id put a fist on the sergeant, otherwise a dread will make a nice mess of you.. also think about a relic blade on the captain

First things that came to mind, for me. Relic blades are excellent...and I take fists in every unit that I might want to entangle in an assault ever.

What is the general feeling regarding melta-bombs? I have been putting them in alot of lists since you can take a weapon that strikes at init. as well as the added pen against vehicles and walkers.

What is the general feeling regarding melta-bombs? I have been putting them in alot of lists since you can take a weapon that strikes at init. as well as the added pen against vehicles and walkers.

meltabombs are next to useless against walkers, a hammer would work better against those tbh. since you strike against rear armour in close combat only land raiders would require the meltabombs

Melta bombs are excellent tank shock insurance. Also a nasty surprise for vehicles you can catch stationary.

You could gamble and put it on a sergeant with power weapon, better than nothing against walkers but complete useless vs MCs.

Not too fond of Thunderhammers, but that is largely thanks to my meta. They are quite situational, most of the time I'd rather use the 5 extra points to run pfist + MB. The above mentioned tank shock insurance come into use a lot.

I buy a lot of meltabombs, but I tend to run bikes a lot. It's tough to get meltabombs strapped down with an infantry unit. The 18" threat of bikes or jump packers helps you catch those vehicles a little off guard. Of course, against Nids, Daemons, and other horde armies you'll have no use for them at all. I like to pair mine with a combimelta. If the combi doesn't kill the tank, it might immobilize it and then the meltabombs auto-hit.

If I have 5pts spare change at the end of a making list, they're then a good choice for a nice little extra for a HQ or sergeant.

But not one of the first priorities.

Archived