ASM Assembly

Brodrick

So I am making the jump to 40k from many, many years of fantasy.

I haven't played any 40k games yet, so everything I am basing my army on is from the forum.

After browsing the various armies I found that the Blood Angels appeal to me the most. I am now determined to build a Lamenters army (I love the fluff. Additionally, yellow paint takes me out of my comfort zone, and believe it is an opportunity).

I have purchased several boxes of ASM, Razorbacks, a Rhino, Baal Preditors, Dreads, Death Company, drop pods, and a Storm Raven.

I have a basic idea of which type of list I want to run (mech appeals to me) and am beginning to assemble.

I have seen that the basic kit out for a unit of 5 ASM is a melta and a power weapon per squad.

After looking at the entry in the codex for the sarge, you can exchange the chainsword/pistol for a power weapon. The question I have involves this swap. Does the power weapon replace both the chainsword and pistol, or one of them?

I have also magnetized the right arm of the sarge for swap between the power weapon, fist, and chainsword. Should I also magnetize the left are for bolt piston, infernus pistol, plasma pistol and storm shield? Are these options ever viable for a sarge?

Sorry for the basic questions, and appreciate any advice.

So I am making the jump to 40k from many, many years of fantasy.

I haven't played any 40k games yet, so everything I am basing my army on is from the forum.

After browsing the various armies I found that the Blood Angels appeal to me the most. I am now determined to build a Lamenters army (I love the fluff. Additionally, yellow paint takes me out of my comfort zone, and believe it is an opportunity).

I have purchased several boxes of ASM, Razorbacks, a Rhino, Baal Preditors, Dreads, Death Company, drop pods, and a Storm Raven.

I have a basic idea of which type of list I want to run (mech appeals to me) and am beginning to assemble.

I have seen that the basic kit out for a unit of 5 ASM is a melta and a power weapon per squad.

After looking at the entry in the codex for the sarge, you can exchange the chainsword/pistol for a power weapon. The question I have involves this swap. Does the power weapon replace both the chainsword and pistol, or one of them?

I have also magnetized the right arm of the sarge for swap between the power weapon, fist, and chainsword. Should I also magnetize the left are for bolt piston, infernus pistol, plasma pistol and storm shield? Are these options ever viable for a sarge?

Sorry for the basic questions, and appreciate any advice.

In reference to the last question, I would magnetize for the Bolt Pistol and Infernus Pistol. Possibly the Hand Flamer. I haven't magnetized for the Plasma Pistol or the Storm Shield, as they aren't a great option for RAS (ASM if you prefer that term). The SS simply costs too much and brings little benefit to the squad, and since the Plasma Pistol and Infernus Pistol are the same cost, the IP wins hands down.

The text is "and/or" so you can decide to take a power weapon instead of the pistol, the ccw or both the pistol and ccw.
While legal, the combination of PW and CCW is suboptimal. It gives you the exact same number of powered attacks as PW+BP, but it lacks the shooting. A screaming bald man with Chainsword and Powersword would look cool though. Even better make it two axes.

Yes, I found that out once I started opening boxes. Based off of what I read, DC tend to work well in a Rhino, so I had bought the battalion box. Any future purchases for rhinos will be razorback boxes.

Thank you to all who shared advice.

Now to get back to assembly.

One thing to keep in mind if you wish to run Lamenters is they technically don't have a DC since they have some how 'bred out' the flaw.

Not true anymore. They have a DC and suffer from the flaw as all BA successors do.

One thing to keep in mind if you wish to run Lamenters is they technically don't have a DC since they have some how 'bred out' the flaw.

Not true anymore. They have a DC and suffer from the flaw as all BA successors do.

Mmm strange retcon. Thought that was like their 'thang'

Yes, it used to be. Before 5th ed C:BA came out, if you wanted to play them you had to use them as ordinary 'Vanilla Marines'. That was, as you rightly said, their thing. Chapter Approved 2004 was very, very clear in that field, as I may quote directly from that book: "...the Lamenters adhere to a strictly `Codex` formation and the chapter does not field any Death Company."

But since 5th ed C:BA they are full-fledged BA successors including all BA specialties. The fluff about the Lamenters in the 5th ed Codex was just one tiny paragraph, but it basically frogged up their entire history in just three sentences.

Luckily, IA9 came out and made things a lot better. As of now, the Lamenters were indeed the attempt to stomp out the flaw from the geneseed, but basically, it failed, and while in the beginning remarkably few Lamenters fell to the flaw, this number increased by the time and today they are no different from every BA chapter plus an additional amount of melancholia and depression.

Archived